European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Point I've been trying to make here. I dont give a flying for the owners of these clubs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to send submarines into monaco harbour with torpedoes on a billionaire yacht hunt.

I care about the so called legacy fans who have been out priced from the game, the ones who will still be there when it's no longer the in thing to get into football.

Ideally, I'd like to see Aberdeen, hearts and hibs ect be able to compete in this country. As it stands at the moment, it's a case of keeping our goal difference high, whilst the rest are cannon fodder, like we will be in the cl.

I actually enjoy us in the el, as it seems to be a fairer tournament which to me wouldn't be an impossibility . The cl is anything but and that wont be changing any time soon.
Totally agree. The EL allows from the dream. There was a point where I was starting to think we might actually be on our way to Baku. B-D

Whatever happens I hope this is the bubble bursting that’s been predicted for decades now. I doubt it will but hopefully some kind of reset happens.

Things are going to change I think.

How much they will change is up for debate.

People have become genuinely sick of knocking their pan in all week to scrape together enough money for a ticket to watch some bang average Instagram star who’s pulling in £150k per week.

The pain of the financial recovery from the pandemic is only to amplify those feelings.

I presume the aim of this was to sow up a global TV deal and travel key games around the world, America, Far East, Middle East, etc. It might have worked in the short term, but repetition and lack of relegation would have caught up with them in the end.

What struck me was their arrogance in thinking they could still play in their national leagues whilst playing ESL on weeknights. I just hope UEFA doesn’t reward them for scrapping their plans with a sweeter deal for the big 5in the CL and EL.

I was hoping if they all effed off permanently it would open the door to fairer European competition for the rest of us.

A blood pact? WTF

images

Whatever happens I hope this is the bubble bursting that’s been predicted for decades now. I doubt it will but hopefully some kind of reset happens.
Thats all I want mate. Let's take the el. We work f**ken hard from july to try and win the trophy, yet clubs from the big 5 use it as a stop gap to get into the cl. All wrong imo.

I presume the aim of this was to sow up a global TV deal and travel key games around the world, America, Far East, Middle East, etc. It might have worked in the short term, but repetition and lack of relegation would have caught up with them in the end.

What struck me was their arrogance in thinking they could still play in their national leagues whilst playing ESL on weeknights. I just hope UEFA doesn’t reward them for scrapping their plans with a sweeter deal for the big 5in the CL and EL.

I was hoping if they all effed off permanently it would open the door to fairer European competition for the rest of us.
I think if anything it’s weakened their hand. I recon they will have had a one off sweetener from UEFA to pull out, but after that I can see them get LESS say or power than they would have before Sunday. Their hand has been played. They can see now the dreams of a breakaway are dead in the water, especially including the government threats. It’s now tail back between their legs and I can see them getting punished, not by points or fines, but in a reduction of power.

Totally agree. The EL allows from the dream. There was a point where I was starting to think we might actually be on our way to Baku. B-D
Exactly mate, and that's what it should be about. The cl wont give us that. Basically we will go into it, looking for 3rd place.

Isnt that the same idea as the big 5 wanting to finish 3rd or 4th in their own leagues.

Looks like it won't be going ahead but not sure why everyone is supporting all the clubs that were to be frozen out.
Remember we were unbeaten in the first ever champions league and beat the English champions home and away.
Like all but the "big 5"countries we were then shafted and tv income became based not on how big the teams were but how big the country they played in was.
What's happening now is no different to what happened 25 years ago
The current champions league has been made totally non competitive because of the bullying from those 5 countries.
All the other associations-Portugal,Holland ,Russia,Scotland etc etc should use this to push for change and maybe even pull out of European competition altogether but as usual nothing will happen because people like the SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell would prefer to defend the Celtic trip to Dubai rather than fight his corner for the good of Scottish clubs in Europe.
I’ve long wondered why these countries haven’t called UEFAs bluff on this. European football wouldn’t be the same without those countries. Something has to be done to make competition fairer again.

There is no fecking danger this was a real thing. The speed at which they are performing u-turns suggests it was just a grandstanding gesture to grab attention.
Too much of a PR disaster to be that imo. I think these owners had grand ideas of “sticking it to the man” with the man being UEFA. But actually they were the man sticking it to the fan.

I think if anything it’s weakened their hand. I recon they will have had a one off sweetener from UEFA to pull out, but after that I can see them get LESS say or power than they would have before Sunday. Their hand has been played. They can see now the dreams of a breakaway are dead in the water, especially including the government threats. It’s now tail back between their legs and I can see them getting punished, not by points or fines, but in a reduction of power.
I hope you’re right but I fancy they will still call the shots

There is no fecking danger this was a real thing. The speed at which they are performing u-turns suggests it was just a grandstanding gesture to grab attention.
If it was it’s backfired hugely. The worst PR mistake I can ever remember. Their sheer arrogance has led to them missunderestimating the power of the governing bodies, governments and fans.

Quite possibly. Then they will come out with a different version which wont seem as bad. 2 leagues of 20 with promotion and relegation. Maybe have playoffs from champions of each league to replace the 4 bottom teams. Doesnt seem as bad and everyone buys into itas a good idea.
Its like when a local council goed from weekly bin collections to 3 weekly. The original proposal was monthly and everyone is up in arms. They change it to 3 weekly and everyone thinks they beat the council and are getting a better service when the reality was it is 3 times worse than what they originally had.

I think the glazers and FSG will %^*& off now. This has clearly been there plan for years. It’s dead there will be no interest for them now. Whether they can find a buyer who knows

That UEFA are trying to present themselves as altruistic football purists in all of this shambles is as disgusting as the proponents of this Super League. The crooks at UEFA are just not as openly corrupt. If they want real tradition and competition, then allow all respective League winners as automatic entrants to the CL Group stages.

If true that Real, Barca and Spurs are nearly 1 Billion in debt should they not just downsize.
Tough to take but nothing lasts forever.
Look at Forest.
The big clubs spending big has to come down.

Part of me was hoping they would all f**k off and do their globetrotters thing, leaving the rest of us to compete on possibly a more level playing field. Wishful thinking that will happen now since the greedy pricks are retreating. What are UEFA's options here?, secretly extending their gratitude and lubing up? or might we see some common sense and a resetting of principles breakout amongst these captains of industry?.

As reported earlier this evening, Chelsea Football Club can confirm that it has begun the formal procedures for withdrawal from the group developing plans for a European Super League.​

Having joined the group late last week, we have now had time to consider the matter fully and have decided that our continued participation in these plans would not be in the best interests of the Club, our supporters or the wider football community

Bobby Robson summed it up well

“What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

As I've still got a big bucket of popcorn to get through, for the next European laughing stock, can we please have the self combustion of the EU?! :D

I’d be more concerned about how the biggest clubs in Britain (and Spurs) were ready to turn their backs on the domestic game, one the country’s biggest products, and would have done if not for public outrage. In the time of Brexit no less. That Man Utd and Liverpool were two of the main ringleaders makes it even sadder.

The EPL should be eternally grateful to the German clubs for showing some backbone and calling this sham out for what it is.

I’d be more concerned about how the biggest clubs in Britain (and Spurs) were ready to turn their backs on the domestic game, one the country’s biggest products, and would have done if not for public outrage. In the time of Brexit no less. That Man Utd and Liverpool were two of the main ringleaders makes it even sadder.

The EPL should be eternally grateful to the German clubs for showing some backbone and calling this sham out for what it is.

They didn't want to turn their back on domestic competition, in fact threat of expulsion may well have been a factor in back tracking. Not sure what "the time of Brexit" has to do with it either?

I hate this idea but let's please be factual when discussing it.

Quite possibly. Then they will come out with a different version which wont seem as bad. 2 leagues of 20 with promotion and relegation. Maybe have playoffs from champions of each league to replace the 4 bottom teams. Doesnt seem as bad and everyone buys into itas a good idea.
Its like when a local council goed from weekly bin collections to 3 weekly. The original proposal was monthly and everyone is up in arms. They change it to 3 weekly and everyone thinks they beat the council and are getting a better service when the reality was it is 3 times worse than what they originally had.
Absolutely nailed on. This idea will be tweaked and re branded with divisions similar to nations league and it will be accepted

They didn't want to turn their back on domestic competition, in fact threat of expulsion may well have been a factor in back tracking. Not sure what "the time of Brexit" has to do with it either?

I hate this idea but let's please be factual when discussing it.

They wouldn't have been allowed to compete and would have had no issue with that if it wasn't for public outrage.

People now saying theyve listened to the fans and they understand the outrage its all nonsense. If it resurfaced next week under a more credible proposal theyd be back onboard without a second thought.

This is just a fraction of the greed driving the idea as the ESL is just what they thought they could get away with at this moment in time.

The greed will grow in the background and find its way to another idea somewhere down the line...

Other than Rangers in Europe under Gerrard, this has to have been the most exciting European football watch for years. And it’s not finished yet.

Overall though, I despair. The whole situation is depressing and it has been increasingly so for years. Greed is at the core of our game more than ever before, whether it’s the so called super league clubs, or UEFA. Pigs in the trough fighting to get the lion‘s share of the cash and bully others out of it. All they are both interested in is chasing TV and sponsor money and ring fencing as much of it as possible for the big (read rich) clubs in the big (“Top 5”) leagues. UEFA suddenly being the moral voice of the game, really? No, their nose is out of joint because the super league risked kicking them off the gravy train.

Those thinking that all of this means things may get better for the likes of Rangers are, I think, going to be disappointed. The imbalance will continue, even after this shambles. Multiple clubs in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France will still get preferential access to the Champions League, however it is structured going forward. The 4th or 5th team in these leagues will still get an easier route to CL riches than the champions in other less lucrative leagues such as Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Portugal etc. It’s a downright disgrace and nothing will change. In fact, I reckon UEFA will try even harder to placate the clubs in bigger leagues to prevent the ongoing threat of a breakaway league. Rangers and other big clubs in smaller leagues will continue to have an uphill struggle to even get a glimpse of the CL.

I think now is the time for the smaller leagues to get together and put a more forceful representation to UEFA about our role in the game, the fact that we have big clubs with impressive histories and that champions of these leagues should be given a fairer crack of the whip. If UEFA are really about sporting achievement and competition across Europe, as they have stated in the last 48 hours, let’s challenge them to demonstrate that in practice and give clubs in smaller leagues a better chance of competing at the top table via automatic qualification for the group stages or whatever format it is. Continuing to ringfence the CL and it’s money to the rich teams in the top 5 leagues is effectively “super league lite”. It will simply reinforce the imbalance that currently exists, pander to the big club arrogance that they are above the rest of us, and also see those clubs continue to move away from the rest financially. Which will inevitably lead to another episode of superleaguebreakawayitis in a few years time as those clubs once again seek to keep the money to themselves.

Back