European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Some excerpts from an article by a Scottish Daily Mail journalist.

Can anyone guess when this was written?

'FOOTBAL NEEDS AN OVERHAUL'

"With reluctance I have to say the time is near when certain clubs operating within a small and sparsely populated area will require to link up or get out of business. And football is a business whichever way you look at it.

"The economics of the set up point towards a small, select super league composed of clubs able to undertake continental commitments.

"Do not misunderstand me. A super league is what I envisage as inevitable - not necessarily what I want. Indeed it will be a sad day for Scottish sport when some of our smaller communities are denied the privilege of regular visits from Rangers, Celtic... and others likely to figure in the major league.

"There are many who would have you believe that the great Rangers Football Club has shed much of its power and influence and its ability to maintain an honoured place amongst the world's elite.

"Rubbish! It is true to say that the long road to success is harder. Challenges from other quarters have become progressively heavier. But, then, Rangers have scored their greatest victories when put to the test, and I for one am confident that for many years to come the old club will be there or thereabout when honours are being distributed.

"Good luck to Rangers and their supporters."

Does this mean Scotland will get 2 automatic CL spots or will EPL, La Liga etc still get 4 automatic spots even though their better teams will be in the Super League?

Who cares let them go. I won’t watch it

Ban all players from euro champs and world cups

Reinvent the champions league as league winners 2 groups of 8

Top 4 go through to last 8

Europa league has next 32 teams same format

Some excerpts from an article by a Scottish Daily Mail journalist.

Can anyone guess when this was written?

'FOOTBAL NEEDS AN OVERHAUL'

"With reluctance I have to say the time is near when certain clubs operating within a small and sparsely populated area will require to link up or get out of business. And football is a business whichever way you look at it.

"The economics of the set up point towards a small, select super league composed of clubs able to undertake continental commitments.

"Do not misunderstand me. A super league is what I envisage as inevitable - not necessarily what I want. Indeed it will be a sad day for Scottish sport when some of our smaller communities are denied the privilege of regular visits from Rangers, Celtic... and others likely to figure in the major league.

"There are many who would have you believe that the great Rangers Football Club has shed much of its power and influence and its ability to maintain an honoured place amongst the world's elite.

"Rubbish! It is true to say that the long road to success is harder. Challenges from other quarters have become progressively heavier. But, then, Rangers have scored their greatest victories when put to the test, and I for one am confident that for many years to come the old club will be there or thereabout when honours are being distributed.

"Good luck to Rangers and their supporters."
Let me guess mid 90's?

Walter famously said back then that it wasn't a matter of IF there's a European League it's WHEN.

I hope it does happen and then the smaller european teams like your ajax , brugge ect create a league involving us , sooner we get out of scottish fitba the better

Does this mean Scotland will get 2 automatic CL spots or will EPL, La Liga etc still get 4 automatic spots even though their better teams will be in the Super League?

Hard to say at this point, but could be irrelevant.

Since the europa confernve was introduced we'd be looking at 4 Europe a competition tiers. If big clubs are going to be in the super league and not part of the champions league, I wouldn't be shocked to see funding and prize money dramatically drop from the champions league.

It's just a rebranding for the top clubs and a money grab, that clearly now some backhanders gave went to uefa so they're less likely to put up a fight.

Its the start of football being americanised, it's nothing but pure football greed and I hate everything about it.

Hard to say at this point, but could be irrelevant.

Since the europa confernve was introduced we'd be looking at 4 Europe a competition tiers. If big clubs are going to be in the super league and not part of the champions league, I wouldn't be shocked to see funding and prize money dramatically drop from the champions league.

It's just a rebranding for the top clubs and a money grab, that clearly now some backhanders gave went to uefa so they're less likely to put up a fight.

Its the start of football being americanised, it's nothing but pure football greed and I hate everything about it.
I hate the idea of it but part of me thinks just beat it and do your own thing. The CL would be much better for it. It would probably end up like the Europa League money wise but if England and that weren't filling it up with 4 mediocre teams we would get a bigger spread of the old big European teams that have fallen off.

This isnt going away any time soon. The big clubs want their own NFL style closed shop. UEFA wants a slice of the money. The ordinary rank and file fans and smaller clubs aren't part of the plans. All we're seeing is the can kicked down the road.

I'd be happy to see it happen. Let the biggest clubs in Europe bugger off to their big boys closed shop league. Let everybody else just enjoy playing football. So what if you see the biggest 32 teams playing in the closed shop? Football for the rest of us would still continue. The money might not be the same. No bad thing. Rangers would no longer be outbid for players by clubs like Burnley or Norwich.

Let the big teams leave and form their own competition. Let the rest of us concentrate on following our teams.

So after all the back peddling from the English clubs last time and the statements from the owners/board saying they now understand the frustration of the fans/players...they decide to go ahead with it again anyway?

Back