Evening Times ... friend or foe?

The_Irrepressibles

In this era of fake Gers news surely it's more important than ever, not only to expose those guilty of perpetrating it, but also to support those media organisations that treat us fairly, to regain some semblance of balance in the MSM and hopefully prevent them from turning to the dark side like so many of their competitors.

Let's face it when we withdraw our custom (justifiably), these businesses are driven to appease those that continue to fill their coffers in order to survive, and we've seen the result of this; journalists becoming ever more rabid and imbalanced in order to satisfy the obsession of 'the great unhinged'. In this new world they're competing with deranged bloggers after all. They now have no option to continue to feed the beast they helped raise, but the beast keeps growing and some time soon it's going to turn and bite them on the arse. But until that glorious day, it's abundantly clear that Rangers stories are now reported/written for others benefit not ours, but thats who pays their wages right? This even includes sadly, some of our ex-players, who regularly express opinions which can ony be described as bizarre and out of character, the only explanation being that they are skewing their comments to suit this perverse narrative also.

Now, we've seen recently with Rocksport Radio receiving widespread praise from our fanbase and no doubt the resuting growing audiences figures that will be accompanying that, a little glimpse of what the potential future media could look and sound like. And I for one want more of it. So, I'd like to know fellow bears opinions on the Evening Times. In all the years I've spent despairing at all the usual suspects, I can't once remember doing so at this publication (except for some of DJ's opinion pieces obviously lol). So, am I the only one who thinks this or am I giving them more credit than they're due? Should we throw our considerable weight behind this paper or do they deserve to be helped into extinction like their dinosaur rivals? Also, are there any other neutral outlets that anyone thinks deserves credit and support from the Rangers family?

In short. We can help shape the future makeup of the media in this country. Question is, who deserves our backing? We can't just rely on our own media (Rangers, H&H, 4lads etc) no matter how good a job they're doing at the moment to fill the void.

You have to ask?

Evening Times a complete enemy.

The online outlet a joke.

70p a paper copy. Nothing more than a comic now

Foe..... Florida Cup story about bears singing the billy boys tells u everything you need to know another scum anti Rangers rag

WATP

Throughout our troubles I have found them very supportive. Gave the RST and Rangers First a fair platform and give all the Glasgow clubs fairly even coverage.

The likes of Ronnie Cully are long gone.

Joke paper. Have a look at their online edition now and again. Obsessed with Michelle Mone, Michelle McManus, Helen Flanagan.
I was brought up with this paper but haven’t bought it for years and can see absolutely no reason start buying again.
The rot started when they scrapped Bunion.

As far back as I can remember the Evening Times had been delivered to my/parents house. Last month after reading the paper for over 50 years I finally called it a day due to the bias towards Celtic. One evening I had flicked through 6 pages of gushing reports about them before I came to a downbeat article on Rangers something that I had noticed was happening regularly. I can understand a paper having a slant towards one club if there is a big game coming up or a Euro tie but there was nothing to merit such a unbalanced coverage.

Evening Tims = Enemy

Chris Jack and Matthew Lindsay ,both good reporters who give us a fair press,do regular pieces for the Evening Times and the Gherald.

I haven’t bought any newspaper for years because there always seems to be unfair reporting of our fans and the club itself.

Interesting stuff. I don't see the papers at all. Daily google news search to see the online headlines, then onto FF to see if someone has posted the article here. Won't give them the hits. The exception being the ET. I still click on their stories sometimes but its exclusively Rangers, and more often than not, as people have mentioned, Christopher Jack.

So, perhaps it's him I should be praising. However I still give them credit for at least covering Rangers stories pretty fairly even if the rest is suspect. The sun for example has Andy Devlin, who is decent, but they still have hoardes of others printing bollox about us. I guess thats the difference.

Last edited:
Delivered this paper every evening from the age of eight until I left school.
But today I wouldn't give it house room.
A real shame because its football coverage used to be balanced, fair and informative.
A once must-read for football fans in Glasgow, but sadly now as toxic as the rest.

The Times was the last to print this "Hoops" pish at every opportunity so I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a while.They have fallen into line with the rest so my paper buying days are over.

Tbh, I've mostly found their coverage of Rangers to be pretty fair and as has been mentioned earlier, Chris Jack and Matthew Lindsay's articles are usually written from a "Rangers fans" point of view.
They can be critical but in a constructive way!

A family friend worked for them over 35 year ago and I delivered it. Wouldn't go near it now as another riddled rag

I buy and trust no paper. Get my info on here/bears on Twitter. I'm sure there will be decent journos out there, but they are few and far between these days when it comes to Rangers.

Not much wrong with the Evening Times in my view. Its coverage is usually decent.

I know that doesn't sit well with the general consensus/paranoia regarding newspapers on here, but there you go.

No written press or media outlet in Scotland are Rangers friendly it’s that simple.
From biased beyond belief Daily Record, Radio Clyde and BBC Scotland at the top of the vile haters down to Evening Times and the Sun I don’t believe we’ve had a balanced fair minded review for years. The Royalist Loyalist or just simple proud to be British protestant view is under attack in Scotland and it’s gotten worse in the last decade or more.
Rangers are a football club with different varients of the above who support us and we are hated by the less fortunate.

It’s the sister paper of The Herald which completely flipped years ago to a RC rag,used to be my paper of choice till Kevin McKenna and his Tim pals got control of it.
The National is also a sister paper.

It is part of The Mirror Group which also includes the Rhecord. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It's got nothing to do with the Record. It is, however, owned by the same folk as the National.

I don't think it's particularly biased, it's just utterly dreadful these days

I buy and trust no paper. Get my info on here/bears on Twitter. I'm sure there will be decent journos out there, but they are few and far between these days when it comes to Rangers.
So absolutely no bias there then?
;)
Of course there will be things printed in a newspaper that you don't agree with but imho, the ET is fairly balanced in its reporting.
If you only want to read comments praising everything Rangers then just stick to FF.........or then again, maybe not!
:)

Delivered this paper every evening from the age of eight until I left school.
But today I wouldn't give it house room.
A real shame because its football coverage used to be balanced, fair and informative.
A once must-read for football fans in Glasgow, but sadly now as toxic as the rest.
That's part of the problem, there is very little coverage on the match itself, most of the content now consists of the opinion of the hater who professes to be a journo and as a result all we get is hate filled bile against Rangers.
Most of the MSM are all tarred with the same brush.

I remember when i was younger paper boys used to sell the times in the pubs on Friday and Saturday nights was always good for football , now i would not dream of buying it as it has fell into line with the rest of the Scottish anti Rangers media.

I found Rocksport Radio from FF I gave up newspapers years ago I gave up SSB long before 12Feb 2012 I have just seen Liverpool being done by West Brom. as I sit on my laptop this evening I am listening to Mellow Magic Radio and my kind of music, just a nice peaceful night, so from myself have a quite and peaceful night to all Rangers Fans wherever you are.

Back