Evening Times front page headline - "Violent Thug On Drugs Attacked Homeless Man And Celtic Fan"

Someone gaming their search results by shoehorning one of the most popular search terms in Scotland into a headline. It's why Rangers and Celtic are often mentioned in headlines they have %^*& all to do with. Take two of the most well-searched terms and squeeze them in however you can.
This was discussed recently - the terms Rangers and Celtic being thrown into headlines with little or no real context. I think your point about search words and it resulting in hits on websites is a good observation.

I don’t know how journalists are paid and whether there was ever any kind of commission related to numbers of newspapers sold but as with everything else these days on social media, there is gamification for reward at play and if entering Rangers or Celtic gets you closer to, say, 10,000 views and a £500 bonus then that’ll breed this type of behaviour.

Let’s be honest, every newspaper in Glasgow has been at this for years. Rangers and Celtic headlines appearing on the from page to entice people to buy the newspaper and read the story on the inside pages. This is just a modern twist on it.

So a Scumbag had the shirt torn off him, and his street Valium nicked by his assailant which was consumed by him whilst wearing said stolen rag.

Well we know Police Scotland weren't looking for a Rangers fan, despite Tims headlines.

Junkie criminal Celtc fan attacks fellow Celtc fan and a homeless man.
Ex-alter boy robs Celtc fan and a homeless man.

This was discussed recently - the terms Rangers and Celtic being thrown into headlines with little or no real context. I think your point about search words and it resulting in hits on websites is a good observation.

I don’t know how journalists are paid and whether there was ever any kind of commission related to numbers of newspapers sold but as with everything else these days on social media, there is gamification for reward at play and if entering Rangers or Celtic gets you closer to, say, 10,000 views and a £500 bonus then that’ll breed this type of behaviour.

Let’s be honest, every newspaper in Glasgow has been at this for years. Rangers and Celtic headlines appearing on the from page to entice people to buy the newspaper and read the story on the inside pages. This is just a modern twist on it.

I do it myself at times. If I'm writing something and I can get someone like Man United or Liverpool into the header, I will as it will help boost traffic. That said, there's a balance to be struck and throwing names in when it's a very tenuous link (wearing a celtic shirt or a Rangers fan etc) is poor.

And the narrative has been set. Within hours this will be a sectarian crime and have the likes of Humza Useless and bigot Findlay having their say on anti Irish violence.

When in fact it’s just a druggie.

What team did the homeless man support?

Also it isn't The Wayside Club.

It is The Legion of Mary Wayside Club. (Reaching out since 1932)

Place was hoaching with the filth yesterday queueing up for a drink.

It's Christianity, but not as we know it.

Couldn't have been a celtic fan with a toothbrush.ffs how many tramps walk about witha toothbrush,unless it was a weapon. no toothpaste right enough

Job done in adding a stat for bheast fans being searched for as “research purposes”

Remember the old joke about the guy who saves his child from a Rottweiler attack and the pressman comes to take the details...

“So I’ll put Celtic fan saves child from ferocious dog as the headline”

“But I’m a Rangers fan”

“Ok, in that case, it’s ‘Rangers fan attacks family pet’ then.”

As much as I think it’s about web hits... don’t ever forget that 90% of Glasgow to some extent supports either of two teams.

So the thug pulled the celtic top off his victim. I assume he was stealing it for himself to wear?

Quick look on Facebook funnily enough Michael Beuckmann supports Celtic. Wonder why that wasn't mentioned on the article?

Took me 30 seconds to find the guy on Facebook and see he was a Celtic fan. Journalist who wrote this was probably dying to see it was a Rangers fan noticed it wasn't and quickly edited his article.

Remember the old joke about the guy who saves his child from a Rottweiler attack and the pressman comes to take the details...

“So I’ll put Celtic fan saves child from ferocious dog as the headline”

“But I’m a Rangers fan”

“Ok, in that case, it’s ‘Rangers fan attacks family pet’ then.”

As much as I think it’s about web hits... don’t ever forget that 90% of Glasgow to some extent supports either of two teams.
Heard a similar joke a few seasons ago and punchline was: "Sectarian Rangers fan thug attacks poor defenceless animal"

Sorry, I haven't had time to read the entire thread, but surely this homeless Filth fan never possessed a toothbrush?

Why would anybody want to steal a homeless man's passport and toothbrush? A mentally challenged with a toothbrush?????? A mentally challenged with TEETH?????

Back