Ever forgotten to go to a game?

gmacdon76

Official Ticketer
I wasn't paying attention to the fixture list and was convinced we didn't have a game last weekend and arranged dinner with the missus' father up in Perth. Luckily my boy was checking the betting for the weekend and reminded me or we probably wouldn't have realized in time.

Anybody ever missed a game by either totally forgetting or turned up late for an early kick off? :)

I wasn't paying attention to the fixture list and was convinced we didn't have a game last weekend and arranged dinner with the missus' father up in Perth. Luckily my boy was checking the betting for the weekend and reminded me or we probably wouldn't have realized in time.

Anybody ever missed a game by either totally forgetting or turned up late for an early kick off? :)
Struggling to work out how you thought we just randomly didn't have a fixture when everyone else did?

March 1987. Pissed the night before a massive game at Tannadice and didn't wake till after 9 (the early Greenock bus left at 8 with my ticket). I went up on the later bus but couldn't find a ticket outside the ground (this was the days of sellouts for away games, 20,000 plus at the match) and it was torture trying to follow the flow of the game from outside, especially when a massive roar went up for a goal and it took seconds, which felt like minutes, to find someone with a radio who told me Dave McPherson had put us one up. At half time someone left early and there was a rush on the gate as he was let out and I got in for the second half (no more goals though). We won and went on to our first Title in 9 years, but from then on I always set two alarms, especially as it was the second time it had happened - I missed the 3-3 Scottish Cup game with St Johnstone in 1981 for the same reason and had to follow it on the radio, with us equalising in the dying seconds :))

I hate listening to the unprofessional pundits in Scotland so normally switch on exactly at kick off time. Missed a few 15 mins over the years with the strange kick off times like 12:15 and 12:45

Only once- missed a game as I hadn’t noticed the fixture had been brought forward from 3pm to 12pm kick off.
by the time I noticed it wasn’t worth going- would only have caught the last 10 minutes.

Missed a game in the lower league, can’t mind who it was, it was an early kick off on tv, I was getting ready to head over and saw on bet365 that the game was underway.

Almost missed the last World Cup final too last time, was convinced it was a 7pm kick off, we were moving house and had put it out my mind, went online to put some bets on and the game was kicking off in 5 mins.

I missed Jamie Ness' screamer as the game kicked off slightly earlier than usual for some reason that game. I was walking along PRW thinking that it was awfy quiet. I got to the statue and the roar went up as Ness burst the net. That's the closest I've come to it.

I have missed games through being too drunk the night before a couple of times but that has been a deliberate choice.

Fell asleep at the Falkirk SC final when it was about 40 degrees that day! Think I was awake when Novo rifled in that volley though...

Also fell asleep at the Chelsea friendly match a few year back when I got in from a nightout at 9am then headed down from Aberdeen without getting a minutes sleep.

i've never forgotten to go to a game, but i arrived at the stadium quite early one day (a long time ago) and they must have been doing a safety drill thing, it announced the match was abandoned etc i heard it from tannoy outside and thought it was real, so i just turned and got subway back home, got a shock later when i saw the result and realised what a fud i was.

Guy on here missed helicopter Sunday. Thought it was a later kickoff - turns on SSN to see us with the trophy
By the time the game finished, celebrations, players going back to the dressing room and then the trophy presentation it would have been well after 4pm.

Not sure I believe that one.

Live abroad and rarely miss a game . even since the 2012 shambles i've probably missed less than half a dozen due to exceptional circumstances .

However a few years back we had a snow on the friday night and I was up early as usual and then went out to shovel the f*cking stuff on the driveway , came back in and realised I had missed the game . I was gutted for days . Felt as if I had cheated on my wife . Can't even remember who we were playing or what division we were in but it still pisses me off to this day .

Just got timings of KO wrong.

A good few seasons ago we had ICT on boxing day and I strolls tae Ibrox wi the car, parks in Sherbrooke drive gets oot tae start walkin.

As I was Headin in the stadium direction I noticed a number of our support coming the other way so I asked someone had the game been postponed only to be told game was finished.

Made a fuukin Kant of it, Caramba.

Was on Twitter the other day reading the comments on a Plymouth Argyle tweet after Rudden had scored for them. Seen a tweet ‘we’re playing today?’

I couldn’t imagine never knowing when Rangers were playing!

Never missed a game I was due to attend, I do however have dreams at least once a fortnight that I forget to go to Ibrox or lose my ST on the way there. Weird.

Was only going to be watching on telly anyway, but got pissed the night before and slept right through the 4-2 against the scum at Ibrox in 2011.

Boxing day game against Hearts at Ibrox which I thought was an evening ko.iirc.

I started washing the car at around 2.30pm. Put the radio on to discover it was a 3.00pm ko. Grabbed my ST and scarf and jumped in the car. Took off for Ibrox with the car covered in soap suds. Made it from Overton to Ibrox and got into the game half way through the first half.

Was on Twitter the other day reading the comments on a Plymouth Argyle tweet after Rudden had scored for them. Seen a tweet ‘we’re playing today?’

I couldn’t imagine never knowing when Rangers were playing!

I think these things just show the difference between a general fan and a supporter. I could tell you dates, venues and kick off times for our next 5 fixtures at any given point - granted I've got a good memory but even when I couldn't afford to go to games I always built my schedule around when we were playing

I seem to remember a poster on here went a day early to Ibrox on the Saturday when it was a Sunday kick-off.

I missed 8 goals in a game a couple of years ago in a 9-0 win which is a record I'll probably never beat. Brondby v some San Marino team in the Europa Qualifiers... It was a 7pm kick off when I though it was 7.45 or 7.30... got inside the ground at 7.20 and Brondby were winning 5-0... Then I managed to miss another 3 goals getting drinks and going for a slash.

One of the posts above mentioned the difference between a fan and a supporter. I fell asleep in the 2nd half in Macedonia last year (after drinking about a dozen non-alcoholic pints on that square)... After waking up it took me at least 10 minutes to realise Rangers weren't the team playing in blue.

Never myself.

Not an example of folk completely forgetting about a game, but one which caught quite a few out in the area that I sat was a game v Dundee United on Hogmanay 2005 at Ibrox.

It had been brought forward to a 2pm ko, presumably to make it easier for folk to get back from at that time of year. Wasn't on TV. Quite a few folk turned up at half time thinking the match was just starting. Think it was the last time I ever saw Franny Jeffers (he was warming up in front of me and was ultimately an unused sub).

As a teenager I had a rough Friday night sesh. Went on the supporters from Kirky to Love street. Fell asleep and wolk up with the troops getting back on the bus after the game.
Slept all the way back to Kirky and paid my bus fair on the way off

i've never forgotten to go to a game, but i arrived at the stadium quite early one day (a long time ago) and they must have been doing a safety drill thing, it announced the match was abandoned etc i heard it from tannoy outside and thought it was real, so i just turned and got subway back home, got a shock later when i saw the result and realised what a fud i was.

Edit
Aplologies - pressed the wrong 'button'
This phone is driving me nuts
You need pointed fingers - not my stubby thumbs

Berwick replay on 2002. I think we had a lot of games in a short period and I just totally forgot that being on the CCC meant a paper ticket was sent via the post.

No, but I found myself turning to my old man during the Div 2 & 3 years, on the way to Ibrox, and going "who the f*ck are we playing today?"

A game versus Dundee Utd at Ibrox during Christmas week. Mate phoned me (maw's hoose phone) after it and I had no clue there was a game on, was gutted. We won 2-0.

This was the early 90's and I hadn't read a paper or nowt for days but still don't know how I didn't find out.

Almost missed a game earlier this season was only reminded by the 50% seat cashback email.

Back