Everton after Alfredo morelos?

McBurnie went for £20m.

We have a player who is:

A Colombian international
Early 20s
Top goal scorer in Europa qualifying
Top goal scorer in Europa group stages
First player in Scotland to score 14 goals in Europe before Christmas

If we sell a player with those credentials and didn't generate enough to afford McBurnie then Martin Bain must have snuck back in.

Point is we can ask what we want for him since he’s under contract. It’s an EPL club and we know bang average strikers go for £15-20M easy down there, so why not aim high? We could justifiably ask around £35M for a striker who has proven he can score regularly in European competition. Remember, we don’t have much time to get in a replacement so we’ll likely have to spend big ourselves.

Some of the valuations here are mental. The facts, unfortunately for us, speak for themselves and that is why we won’t get the bonkers valuation of £30M. Mcburnie and others were already in that English bubble, Morelos isn’t. Biscuit hips bucked that trend but that was certainly in part due to a media who massively hyped his value. Morelos is the absolute opposite.
Facts wise, Europe including qualifiers, his statistics were good for 19/20.

but, being honest, league games are the bread and butter and they are where you need to demonstrate you can perform week in week out. Regardless of referee performances etc. He only managed 12 goals in 26 games. I can’t recall exactly but I’m sure he went 7/8 league games without scoring. In 3 years he hasn’t scored versus Celtic, that’s a significant issue. His attitude has repeatedly been highly questionable much to the frustration of management. I would love it if he screwed the nut stayed and performed and earned a big money move but the actions, not at tynecastle, late home from approved leave, not adhering to fitness requirements during lockdown, disciplinary issues etc. All impact the value. Is he raw and could he be unbelievable? Yes. Fair value based on recent form? £15-20M with substantial add on. I’d be utterly astounded to see him leave this summer for north of £20M as the facts and figures unfortunately don’t point to that.

Why though, sky haven't stopped paying out TV money.
So what has that got to do with it? Sky are still paying TV money Everton are still paying wages? The money the spend annual on wage must be close to 100 mil or over it. Everton is a case of one in one out 30M for morelos is ridiculous money yes he is good but no he isn't that good in money term. our fans need to be realistic that's the difference.

Think if a club get the wee man for 20 million they have a raw talent that has proved he is a lot better at finding the net than a lot of the Thuds in england.
The man is a diamond.

People are dreaming if they think we are getting 30M plus a sell on. If true would be around the 15M maybe slightly higher mark with a sell on.

I don't disagree that we might end up getting around the 15 mark. What I struggle to understand is this:

How can a permanently injured left back go for 25m when he's not even first choice for Scotland but a Columbian international striker go for significantly less?

Genuine question.

I don't disagree that we might end up getting around the 15 mark. What I struggle to understand is this:

How can a permanently injured left back go for 25m when he's not even first choice for Scotland but a Columbian international striker go for significantly less?

Genuine question.
Because he plays fur ra huns. That’s your standard hack and commentator view that permeates all reasonable thought

Morelos would do extremely well to score 8-10 goals in the English prem.

Really depends on where he went. A Man Utd for example he’d score more than that easily imo, a Palace on the other hand that would be a good return.

Morelos is a quality footballer and the number of Rangers fans willing to line up to write our biggest asset up baffles me tbh.

Genuine question.

Birmingham have got £20m for a 17 year old. Was he worth that kind of money? Of course he wasn’t but if anyone wanted their prized possession they have to pay ove r the odds yet we have to give ours away?

He is a full Columbian internationalist, scored goals in the Europa league and is tied up to us until 2024. Anyone wants him make them pay more than we believe him to be worth.

And one that you help perpetuate by posting this pish. Why not help change things and talk about how great our asset is?
Because red tops and broadsheets slating him with racial slander for months has an impact. Me posting on our club forum doesn’t. Should he be worth way more than Christie, yes. Does he have anything like the pantomime following him that Morelos does? No. The papers have assisted in destroying Alfredo nothing we can do

So what has that got to do with it? Sky are still paying TV money Everton are still paying wages? The money the spend annual on wage must be close to 100 mil or over it. Everton is a case of one in one out 30M for morelos is ridiculous money yes he is good but no he isn't that good in money term. our fans need to be realistic that's the difference.

It's got quite a lot to do with it.

TV money is the main source of income along with shirt sponsorship deals in England. I assume the shirt sponsorship has been paid as well.

A lot of people don't realise, English teams don't rely on match day income in the way that Scottish clubs do, and for this reason I honestly believe Premier League teams won't be as badly hit as teams down the league pyramid.

Our fans need to stop talking our players down. Dembele and tierney went for big money. Why not Alfredo who scored consistently in Europe and is a full Colombia international.

Some of the valuations here are mental. The facts, unfortunately for us, speak for themselves and that is why we won’t get the bonkers valuation of £30M. Mcburnie and others were already in that English bubble, Morelos isn’t. Biscuit hips bucked that trend but that was certainly in part due to a media who massively hyped his value. Morelos is the absolute opposite.

but, being honest, league games are the bread and butter and they are where you need to demonstrate you can perform week in week out. Regardless of referee performances etc. He only managed 12 goals in 26 games. I can’t recall exactly but I’m sure he went 7/8 league games without scoring. In 3 years he hasn’t scored versus Celtic, that’s a significant issue. His attitude has repeatedly been highly questionable much to the frustration of management. I would love it if he screwed the nut stayed and performed and earned a big money move but the actions, not at tynecastle, late home from approved leave, not adhering to fitness requirements during lockdown, disciplinary issues etc. All impact the value. Is he raw and could he be unbelievable? Yes. Fair value based on recent form? £15-20M with substantial add on. I’d be utterly astounded to see him leave this summer for north of £20M as the facts and figures unfortunately don’t point to that.
Agree but if he wants to go he needs to be sold ASAP to give Wilson/Gerrard time to replace him Rangers need to hit the ground running in the new season with a settled team

But the fact is - rightly or wrongly - that Tierney did go for circa £25m, thus setting a recent transfer precedent between an SPL club and one from the EPL. As noted in other threads, Morelos' CV - especially taking into account his achievements in European competitions - is certainly comparable to that of Tierney. Moreover, when you also take into account that strikers always go for a premium, to then place a valuation on Morelos that would (if we take your low-ball estimate of £15) represent only 60% of the £25m transfer fee the bheasts got for their oft-injured left-back! Assuming that you are not Martin Bain, why on earth would you be prepared to entertain a fee of this magnitude for Rangers' most saleable asset?

How so? His form in the first have of the season has been the making of him the last 2 years.
I don’t know how closely you have been watching,but it’s pretty obvious (at least to me)that Scottish football is strangling the lad.

But the fact is - rightly or wrongly - that Tierney did go for circa £25m, thus setting a recent transfer precedent between an SPL club and one from the EPL. As noted in other threads, Morelos' CV - especially taking into account his achievements in European competitions - is certainly comparable to that of Tierney. Moreover, when you also take into account that strikers always go for a premium, to then place a valuation on Morelos that would (if we take your low-ball estimate of £15) represent only 60% of the £25m transfer fee the bheasts got for their oft-injured left-back! Assuming that you are not Martin Bain, why on earth would you be prepared to entertain a fee of this magnitude for Rangers' most saleable asset?
You are completely ignoring the financial implications of the covid 19 pandemic and assuming that the economic landscape now is consistent with one year ago

Bananas.

Whether he goes or stays is simple. We have a valuation for Alfie, as we do for everyone at the club. Any enquiring clubs will be informed of this and negotiations, or not, will start from there. To suggest that the media will drive down the price is ludicrous, don't credit them with having that sort of influence.

Last edited:
The number of Rangers fans who so easily talk down Alfies value is alarming - you could almost be on a totally different forum.

Is he a goal scorer? Yes.
Does he score against top quality opposition (Europe)? Yes.
Do English clubs pay way too much for players? Yes.
Do they generally pay more for strikers than untested, injured full backs? Yes.
Will interested clubs hesitate because of his "disciplinary" record? Possibly but I'm pretty sure they will look at what he has actually been disciplined for.
Is he worth £30m? Debatable but based on the going rate south of the border it's certainly upwards of £20m. Any less and we shouldn't entertain it.

The number of Rangers fans who so easily talk down Alfies value is alarming - you could almost be on a totally different forum.

Is he a goal scorer? Yes.
Does he score against top quality opposition (Europe)? Yes.
Do English clubs pay way too much for players? Yes.
Do they generally pay more for strikers than untested, injured full backs? Yes.
Will interested clubs hesitate because of his "disciplinary" record? Possibly but I'm pretty sure they will look at what he has actually been disciplined for.
Is he worth £30m? Debatable but based on the going rate south of the border it's certainly upwards of £20m. Any less and we shouldn't entertain it.

I’d worry if they looked at what he is constantly disciplined for

Over two years of red cards for petty nonsense showing no signs of cutting it out of his game. Constant bookings for mood swings at refs, fly wee kicks at opponents, walking the tightrope every time he’s yellow carded.

Folk can play it down all they want but two years in a row his discipline has been a major issue

Over two years of red cards for petty nonsense showing no signs of cutting it out of his game. Constant bookings for mood swings at refs, fly wee kicks at opponents, walking the tightrope every time he’s yellow carded.

Folk can play it down all they want but two years in a row his discipline has been a major issue

I take your point, but . . .

You can bet your bottom dollar that he will receive nothing like the volume of red cards at his next club that he has at Rangers, a club which is refereed (with the full blessing of the football authorities) to an entirely different standard from all the other clubs, and most especially its closest rivals.

Has he at any time kicked, punched, bitten or seriously injured anyone? No he hasn't.
Some of his red cards have been ridiculous and if he played anywhere else they wouldn't even merit a yellow.
Compare his actions to other players that English clubs have been willing to take a risk on and you've got to think that while his record may have an impact it's unlikely to be significant and unlikely to put clubs off.

Has his goals been an issue as well, that's why people want him...

Has he injured as many players as (say) Scott Brown? The unequivocal answer is no, so one has to ask why he has received more red cards than Broonaldinho?

Answers on a postcard, please to . . .

Has his goals been an issue as well, that's why people want him...

Well we’ve had 2 years in a row where he’s only turned up for half of the season.

Yet to prove he can maintain consistency for a full season. He’s yet to stamp out his disciplinary issues from his game.

If folk think clubs won’t consider this when making an offer then they’re delusional.

When Morelos head is in the game, class player as we seen pre Christmas. Post Christmas, we seen the other side of him. Questionable attitude, poor on field, brainfarts leading to suspensions.

Add in the coronavirus and I genuinely can’t see anyone paying over £15m for him and IMO we’d snap at that now given the way he came off the rails after the piggery game

Has he injured as many players as (say) Scott Brown? The unequivocal answer is no, so one has to ask why he has received more red cards than Broonaldinho?

Answers on a postcard, please to . . .

That’s irrelevant to a potential buyer.

Do you think when we’re scouting a player that picks up a lot of cards, we find the rival captain and analyse all of his games just to check if refs apply the same standards to him as the player were scouting? No.

Well we’ve had 2 years in a row where he’s only turned up for half of the season.

Yet to prove he can maintain consistency for a full season. He’s yet to stamp out his disciplinary issues from his game.

If folk think clubs won’t consider this when making an offer then they’re delusional.

When Morelos head is in the game, class player as we seen pre Christmas. Post Christmas, we seen the other side of him. Questionable attitude, poor on field, brainfarts leading to suspensions.

Add in the coronavirus and I genuinely can’t see anyone paying over £15m for him and IMO we’d snap at that now given the way he came off the rails after the piggery game

Discipline apart where would we be without his goals.
We're not a school were a football club.

Back