Everton after Alfredo morelos?

What a dire argument.

You just know the board are going to take pelters when they inevitably fail to meet some of the ridiculous valuations that folk have dreamed up in their heads.
Depends which league he goes to tbf. English premier teams have pretty much come out unscathed due to the vast majority of their money being tv and sponsorship related. Might be a little down but the clubs looking at Alfie, for example, are still going to have massive budgets.

It was also widely reported that he was an out of control liability and that we would bite the hand off any bids of 8 million .

At no point did I trust these“ reports “ and I certainly won’t do so now. There have been people agitating for Morelos to leave the minute it became apparent he was a huge player for us.

If we sell him for any less than £20 million it’s utterly appalling .
Ok mate, well seriously struggle to get that but time will tell.

Glad the club decided to tell everyone their business. Always a good plan.

One that the new team led by RW probably wouldn't do...
They didn’t really, clubs were offering and to be clear to fans and others various club sources said it starts at £15M to get you to table, that’s common.

This might be the stupidest reason I’ve heard yet for him being worth £20m
Well in

Should have been clearer with my wording. If there is genuine interest in the form of enquiries or bids from the 4/5 clubs now being linked the price goes up surely.

Well aware not every article or link represents a genuine interest.

Should have been clearer with my wording. If there is genuine interest in the form of enquiries or bids from the 4/5 clubs now being linked the price goes up surely.

Well aware not every article or link represents a genuine interest.
Think most sensible people knew exactly the point you were making without the need for "clarification"

Before Christmas or what?

Because Feyenoord and Porto are teams which would struggle to beat Bournemouth of course and he has 4 goals against those teams alone in the season just gone.

There is a helluva lot of dross in that league mate.

Players like Gabriel Jesus and Firminio score about 10 goals a season.

It wasn’t a criticism of Morelos btw, that would be a good return Down there.

Alfredo Morelos focused and on form is, by English market valuation, a £25-30m player.

Alfredo Morelos on a dry spell with streaks of ill discipline for good measure is a £10m player.

Our asking price, for an EPL side at least, will be somewhere in the middle.

Anyone else fed up of the circus every window? I think Gerrard must be now. And I don't expect Morelos to be here by the end of this window. To go into a 3rd season as our focal point would be a massive failing on the part of our management. The last 2 years have proved that we need a variety of options in the final 3rd to have a sustained challenge that will see us over the line in May, not January.

We need to realise it's not the 1970s either and Gerrard can't just tell Alfie to get his head down and play or he'll train with the reserves.

He wants to leave, the last thing you want is a Payet or a Pogba situation.
If a team comes in for him that he really wants to go to and it's a poor bid. I think he'd hand a transfer request in and try and force a move. If he does go I just hope it's a smooth transaction and we can all move on

If he played for any other team in the SPL, the press up here would be putting a value of £20m plus on him and praising him to the heights.

Only he’s not as Edouard has won trophies for Celtic and his goals have won them those trophies, our closest match to that is Alfie’s performances in Europe. Unfortunately, league performance, the week in week out, is what matters and Edouard in that sense is far more consistent.
Edouard has been playing in an established team, who the majority have been together for year's. Alfie has been in a team who have been building for a few years without the same money as separate entity. Edouard walked in to a team who were already established. Makes it a easier for Edouard

What a dire argument.

You just know the board are going to take pelters when they inevitably fail to meet some of the ridiculous valuations that folk have dreamed up in their heads.
It’s not an argument, it’s my opinion.

I believe Alfie is worth £15m, we have people on here saying they’d accept £8m - £10m whilst telling us Edouard is worth double that.

That’s the type of chat they’ve got going on over on Kerrydale Street and every mentally challenged slophouse in the country.

They've had huge cash injection and more crucially spunked £53m on Alex Iwobe.
Nowhere near £53m

"Everton had an initial bid of £30m turned down but their improved offer - an initial £28m, rising to £34m with potential add-ons - was accepted."

Still, point taken nonetheless.

If it is a Premier League club we should search for the big Bucks.

The absolute dross that gets peddled in that league is mental. Dominic Solanke for 20m ffs. Joelinton for 40m. Pepe for about 80m. You get the point.

Every transfer situation is different. English team to English team for example you're usually dealing with cash rich clubs who don't really 'have' to sell.

With us, every player has a price and we could really do with a big player sale to get us back on a level standing. Also, if the player wants the move there's not much we can do to stand in the way.

Again for me £15-20 with a sell on fee would be a massive result.

I just think it's all coming from his agent. Same as I think he was behind the unsettled morelos after new year.

I would have to agree, agent is itching for his big payday, not seen anything other than media talk with no real substance.

Problem is if we keep him Gerrard is forced into 'keeping him in the shop window' regardless of form (Post xams apperances v goals and assists) and if we sell him we are seriously weakened in that position.

I believe Alfie is worth £15m, we have people on here saying they’d accept £8m - £10m whilst telling us Edouard is worth double that.

That’s the type of chat they’ve got going on over on Kerrydale Street and every mentally challenged slophouse in the country.

I actually agree with that!

Only he’s not as Edouard has won trophies for Celtic and his goals have won them those trophies, our closest match to that is Alfie’s performances in Europe. Unfortunately, league performance, the week in week out, is what matters and Edouard in that sense is far more consistent.

Determining 'fair value' for a striker involves using a much greater range of criteria than a simple tally of goals scored - even if some of those goals may have resulted in trophies being won. The issue is a more complex one, and requires a more complete analysis that takes into account the overall circumstances of how those goals were actually scored.

For example, does player X play in a better team than player Y, and therefore is likely to have better quality teammates around him capable of creating more goal-scoring opportunities -that result in goals.

Also, were a majority of the goals scored simple 'tap-ins'; what proportion of goals were the result of an exceptional piece of skill from the player; how many goals or goal-scoring opportunities for his team came about from incidents directly involving the player - ie. free kicks, or penalties, or passes.

Before declaring Edouard to be better - and therefore worth more in the transfer market - than Morelos, you'd need to take all of the aforementioned into account.

Every transfer situation is different. English team to English team for example you're usually dealing with cash rich clubs who don't really 'have' to sell.

With us, every player has a price and we could really do with a big player sale to get us back on a level standing. Also, if the player wants the move there's not much we can do to stand in the way.

I would be delighted with north of £20m and a sell on percentage.

I do understand your point. I just hope we play hardball a bit with it. We know these guys have money. If there is a number of clubs interested it can only help.

Not entirely. Supply and demand.
When it’s already been confirmed that Napoli have no interest and the guy linking him wasn’t even his agent then it’s absolutely farcical to claim we should be demanding more because of the clubs ‘linked’

When it’s already been confirmed that Napoli have no interest and the guy linking him wasn’t even his agent then it’s absolutely farcical to claim we should be demanding more because of the clubs ‘linked’
Didn't say that bud. All I'm saying if there is a few clubs after any player then the price may go up.

I think any deal now will be broken down significantly, rather than devalued significantly.

The EPL needs to be the target market as they will be almost unaffected by COVID in terms of revenue, however I think a general re-assessment of the transfer market will take place anyway.

If, purely for argument's sake, he has a genuine value of £25 million, I think that instead of offers around that we would see greatly extended payment terms, much bigger % of future profit clauses, more scope to swap or loan players and in general, any other clauses that maintain the value but spread the payments out.

On the face of it that would not really work for us given that we need to put a challenge together, however in reality, every transfer will follow a similar pattern and our spending power off the back of a sale would remain largely equivalent to pre Covid times.

They didn’t really, clubs were offering and to be clear to fans and others various club sources said it starts at £15M to get you to table, that’s common.
There are varying prices depending on which leagues and which teams are buying. Rennes for examples may be around €15m, PSG €20m
Everton £30m Man u £40m.

I am not saying those are realistic figures but differences do exist. If bidding against others it can go silly.

Like it or not thise "taxes" exist. They happen here also, Rangers tax has always existed, even in arbitration. Aberdeen got Feguson for around £100k when Hamilton wanted £1m. We would have been stung fir a lot more possibly the wrong side if £500k. A generic figure is just not realistic in the modern transfer market.

You only need to look at Ryan Kent. A similarly experienced, and talented, player from France would probably be around 50% of the fee we paid for Kent.

Not knocking your figures. Just saying it's not a one size fits all.

For everyone saying that people are ignorant to the talent at Rangers, there is a lot of "Joelinton is worth x so Morelos is worth y"

Joelinton is easily worth more than what Newcastle paid for him, he is just being played out of position by a clueless manager.

There appears to be a perception among many on here that Covid-19’s only impact was stopping games being played or if played, behind closed doors. Sponsors will be looking at their budgets and clubs will be looking at ways of saving money with cashflow showing expenditure exceeding income more than is normal. Good players out of contract will find it difficult to get clubs and when they do it will be on less money than before. The transfer market will favour buyers with prices falling, nothing to do with individual players merits but simple economics. Morelos will fall into this category and what we might loose in transfer value will be made up in incoming players prices.

Given Alfredo's clear physical and technical quality -- demonstrated in the first half of last season, and particularly at a high level in Europe -- the fee should be at least 20m+ to an English club of the right standing.

I'll repeat this again and again -- his quality should not be underestimated. The young man is strong as an ox, strikes the ball beautifully, has great ball control and a nice first touch, has good quality hold-up play, and can bully entire back-lines (at a high level no less) on his own.

All of that considered, I feel that the fee should be 20m and up to the right club.

If the valuation is not met, then I'd like to think he will remain a Rangers player and that he will deliver for the club for another season, particularly in Europe.

Last edited:
For everyone saying that people are ignorant to the talent at Rangers, there is a lot of "Joelinton is worth x so Morelos is worth y"

Joelinton is easily worth more than what Newcastle paid for him, he is just being played out of position by a clueless manager.
You think Joelinton is worth more than £40m?

There’s a definite whiff of a few on here mate

Why is this thread here there is no bid.

I may as well start a thread saying Dortmund want Barisic. It is total bullshit but as valid a thread as this nonsense.

If he played for any other team in the SPL, the press up here would be putting a value of £20m plus on him and praising him to the heights.

Do you not think the constant links to clubs that have yet to offer any bids is evidence of a media doing their best to talk him up?

I cannot remember a Rangers player ever having been linked with as many clubs with so few bids - zero, in fact. How do you explain that?

You do realise that donkey centre half at Aberdeen McKenna has been quoted at £10m in our media.

As far as I can tell Aberdeen aren't in a better financial position than us, so why on earth would we accept a below market value transfer fee?

Do you not think the constant links to clubs that have yet to offer any bids is evidence of a media doing their best to talk him up?

I cannot remember a Rangers player ever having been linked with as many clubs with so few bids - zero, in fact. How do you explain that?

To unsettle him and plant seeds of doubt/interest in his mind.

It's not exactly a new tactic either

You do realise that donkey centre half at Aberdeen McKenna has been quoted at £10m in our media.

As far as I can tell Aberdeen aren't in a better financial position than us, so why on earth would we accept a below market value transfer fee?

We need to receive transfer fees in the first place.

I think as a club and support we should be more focused on why that is, not bickering about some speculative fee.

Back