Everton announce record losses of £111.8m for year to June 2019

baystatebear

Yet another example - if indeed one were needed - that just because a club has wealthy individuals willing to throw money at a project doesn't guarantee success. I think a commonsense look at some of the decisions Everton have made since Farhad Moshiri became the major shareholder would reveal someone who doesn't quite have a handle on things, which in turn would help explain why the club continues to struggle,

By way of contrast, just across town, we can see an example of the very opposite. If Everton are a shambles, then Liverpool FC represent a club that is superbly well run - from top to bottom. Rarely are they seen to waste money in the transfer market, and when they do sell a player they invariably get top dollar for them. Compare this with Everton's flailing around, hit or miss way of doing business ad you can see why one club is top of the EPL, and the other is wallowing in mediocrity.

Dave570

I always thought that Everton were the Rangers of Liverpool(since I was young and nothing to do with the last years) but I have seen that debated in the last few years and many now say that liverpool have always been the Rangers of Liverpool. Is there a link or not? I know Rangers and Liverpool disaster funds work together and now with Stevie G I guess we have more now with Liverpool than Everton. Has that always been like that?

bluewonder

The way Everton are being run reminds me of the time about 20 years ago during the Advocaat era we spent money like it was going out of fashion and the rest is history as they say. Up until a few years ago, I think Bill Kenwright had to tighten the purse strings but if I were an Evertonian I would be concerned. The best Everton will get is a cup qualify for the EL or fluke a cl spot.

Butterbean

According to talksport Chelsea have spunked over 100 million in compensation for sacked managers since that Russian dude took over. Wow..

daviemc1872

Everton are well financed.

It's no different than DK keeping our lights on.

Only they've a 100 million plus TV money every year.
could you argue that even with them having deep pockets its still unsustainable if they carry on this way for a couple more years?

still got the stadium to pay for, pay offs for silva no real top class players that they will make a profit on, i think its dangerous for everton at the minute

TimzRFudz

No chance that will happen anytime soon. If anything when the next TV deals are done it will dwarf anything signed before. Amazon, Disney and other streaming platforms fighting it out for the rights.
The risks that the Evertons of that league run though is a top tier European breakaway that say the top six or seven in England join and the rest are cast away. The arse would fall out of the English game at that point as the tv deals follow the ‘big’ clubs.

Doesn’t look imminent, but you never know with these billionaire cabals running the game at the elite level now. I certainly wouldn’t bet against it happening in the next say ten to fifteen years or so.

applebear1976

The risks that the Evertons of that league run though is a top tier European breakaway that say the top six or seven in England join and the rest are cast away. The arse would fall out of the English game at that point as the tv deals follow the ‘big’ clubs.

Doesn’t look imminent, but you never know with these billionaire cabals running the game at the elite level now. I certainly wouldn’t bet against it happening in the next say ten to fifteen years or so.
as you say the dangers for the EPL and the EFL IS this threat of a breakaway European League, where only the largest countries major clubs where invited...

it would destroy English football if say all the top 6 or 7 left