Everton/777 takeover off (Confirmed 1/06/2024)

Tbh I don’t like Everton and with Liverpool being my English team I would like to see them relegated every season but I don’t like seeing any team having talks of insolvency around them apart from that lot across the city

The new stadium is like a billion.

Was meant to be £500m, cost over runs and inflation have put it to £760m. It will probably be close to £800m I think. All for 50k capacity. Not value for money when a standard Populus designed NFL stadium with 70k cap is a couple billion and drives ~£7m revenue per game and up to ~£13m per concert.

That’s my opinion.

777 takeover off, probably for the best but they are still in a critical situation. Seems odd that a proposed buyer would provide loans just to keep the club afloat knowing a takeover could go either way. An unnecessary gamble.

I really feel for their fans.

Horrible to see any historic club having been dragged into a financial shambles by shite owners.
I have good mate that is a blue, he is gutted with the whole thing. Basically they will be playing with a skeleton squad and kids, as they sell all their assess, ( not that many!)which is mental if you seen their transfer business over the last 5 years.

Was meant to be £500m, cost over runs and inflation have put it to £760m. It will probably be close to £800m I think. All for 50k capacity. Not value for money when a standard Populus designed NFL stadium with 70k cap is a couple billion and drives ~£7m revenue per game and up to ~£13m per concert.

That’s my opinion.

This is what I don't get.

There's an initial costing and work starts and invariably variables come in driving up the costs.

So how come it never applied to the filth in the mid 90s when they were uphoveling?

This is what I don't get.

There's an initial costing and work starts and invariably variables come in driving up the costs.

So how come it never applied to the filth in the mid 90s when they were uphoveling?

Weren't they delayed by a year ?

It took them 4 years to build three sides when they initially targeted three years like we did 78-81.

94/95 - North Stand built
95/96 - East Stand built
96/97 - No stand built
97/98 - West Stand built

Weren't they delayed by a year ?

It took them 4 years to build three sides when they initially targeted three years like we did 78-81.

94/95 - North Stand built
95/96 - East Stand built
96/97 - No stand built
97/98 - West Stand built

I'm thinking back more to the costing.

From memory, I'm sure it cost them £13m to build both the Rangers and yahoo ends.

I'm sure it cost them £26m for the old jungle.

I don't ever remember reading anything about rising costs. In fact I'm sure I read back in the day that McCann was into it legally with Barr or Miller (whoever it was) who built the first stand and that there was a legally binding contract and they'd need to fullfil it.

Whoever it was, Barr or Miller, chucked it after building that first stand.

From memory, I'm sure it cost them £13m to build both the Rangers and yahoo ends.

I don't ever remember reading anything about rising costs. In fact I'm sure I read back in the day that McCann was into it legally with Barr or Miller (whoever it was) who built the first stand and that there was a legally binding contract and they'd need to fullfil it.

Miller built the North Stand, Barr built the two behind the goals

Maybe had a water tight contract with suppliers?

I was too young to know but would be good to look back at it.

How did ours compare from initial costs to actuals?

Miller built the North Stand, Barr built the two behind the goals

I always thought it was those two.

I always remember a wee Celtic fan I worked with (and he really was a good one) telling me he took his seat in their new stand for their friendly against Newcastle in 95/96 and there were still workmen putting the finishing touches to it, before kick off.

I always thought it was those two.

I always remember a wee Celtic fan I worked with (and he really was a good one) telling me he took his seat in their new stand for their friendly against Newcastle in 95/96 and there were still workmen putting the finishing touches to it, before kick off.

It failed a safety certificate the Friday night before the game.

Could be wrong, it might even have failed one on the Saturday morning as well and finally got passed at lunchtime.

Maybe had a water tight contract with suppliers?

I was too young to know but would be good to look back at it.

How did ours compare from initial costs to actuals?

Don't know so much about the Copland, Broomloan and Govan stands.

But we paid £20m for the 6,800 seater Club Deck, when we were told it would initially cost £12m. Which is 66% over the initial costing.

When you consider that A - Murray was a financial genius and B - Murray made his fortune in the metal business, that's a rather casual approach to the club's finances.

It failed a safety certificate the Friday night before the game.

Could be wrong, it might even have failed one on the Saturday morning as well and finally got passed at lunchtime.

As I say the wee guy told me he was sitting reading his programme and there were council guys working all around. He never drank, so he was always in the ground early.

I really feel for their fans.

Horrible to see any historic club having been dragged into a financial shambles by shite owners.
Agree with you. Think this could be the final straw for them. History would suggest that 777 are not going to be the owners that Everton FC needs. They are going to have to sell their best players, and the teams that have come up to the PL this time round are stronger than the teams that have gone down. Everton are extending the contracts of players like Young, who is 38. SD is going to have to pull off a small miracle to keep them up next season.

McCann was going to sue Miller Construction for hundreds of thousands if the new North Stand wasn’t completed in time for a friendly game to open it. This was potentially delayed by faults in the Fire Alarm Cabling which was installed by FES.

I was a Project Manager for Thorn Security which had the supply and commission contract for said Fire Alarm. FES put on 24 hour shifts for nearly a week to avoid the contra charges which Miller were passing down the line.

I believe they got the safety certificate on Friday afternoon the game being the next day. This attention to detail by McCann spooked both Miller and FES into putting in over the top tenders for the rest of the rebuild which went to Barr as the main contractor and EG Steill for the Electrical / Mechanical package.

A switched on wee Cnut was Fergus.
So the stories that the entire construction was done cheap wasn’t true?

Back