Everton looking at Cole McKinnon

Coatbridge Chancellor

According to The Sun.

EVERTON could be set to launch a bid to sign Rangers kid Cole McKinnon.

The 17-year-old midfielder has a year left on his deal with the Light Blues but has caught the attention of several English sides.

The Toffees are keeping tabs on the Scotland Under-17 international, who has already featured for Graeme Murty’s reserve side despite his young age.

Aston Villa are also believed to be admirers of McKinnon, while a number of other clubs south of the border are keeping an eye on the rookie.

McKinnon was a key part of the Rangers Under-17 side that won the prestigious ALKASS Cup in 2019.

Need to do our best to keep these kids here but it's getting near impossible with the bright lights of England and the cross border fee. With Billy Gilmour doing so well it'll give these boys ideas too

It's invertible that losing our best youth players will continue to happen. With this in mind we should have a minimum price of at least £ 2 million for any youth player moving to an EPL team.

Need to do our best to keep these kids here but it's getting near impossible with the bright lights of England and the cross border fee. With Billy Gilmour doing so well it'll give these boys ideas too

You can be bang average down there and make "superstar" money

You can be bang average down there and make "superstar" money
Yep look at Dominic Solanke. I know he scored 2 last night but in general I mean. Likely on 60 to 80k a week for being good in the youths. That boy at Chelsea was on 60k a week and hadn't played for the first team yet. Can't mind his name.

Yep look at Dominic Solanke. I know he scored 2 last night but in general I mean. Likely on 60 to 80k a week for being good in the youths. That boy at Chelsea was on 60k a week and hadn't played for the first team yet. Can't mind his name.
Think that might be Solanke you’re thinking about at Chelsea as well. He’ll be a millionaire and done absolutely nothing

Think that might be Solanke you’re thinking about at Chelsea as well. He’ll be a millionaire and done absolutely nOTE]
Hudson-Odoi it is. Millionaire before he played for the first team.

What was the cross border fee we got for Gilmour?

It was not a cross border fee they paid us for exclusive first dibs.
He had not signed a professional contract with us yet
This. Knew they never paid the cross border fee but I'm sure what they did pay they didn't necessarily have to.

If he isn’t already, get him signed up on a professional contract and if a team wants him they’ll have to part with a bit of money. Don’t want another Gilmour situation where we’re missing out for a fee that isn’t reflective of his talent

In a way I am happy that our young players are sought after.

The age old conundrum of getting them in the first team remains though.

As discussed on the other thread this is the problem for us , Least we will get something out of it if we don’t get him tied down on a longer contract but a pittance if we dont.

I dont blame any kid for wanting away , there has been no signs over the years of young lads getting a chance to show what they can do in the 1st team ,its always the same old patter they are only babies , need to develop, they are to small

This is going to be the downside of having a good academy, we will have our best prospects picked up by EPL sides for buttons.
The only way to push back on this is to have a gateway to first team football at Ibrox.

We cant take advantage of this then moan when it happens to us. Hopefully the club have ben talking about a new contract, but for the kid he has the chance to set himself and his family up for life. It's a no brainer for him in my eyes, unless he is a massive gers fan and that is more important than money for him. Either way good luck to the lad

All we are going to hear on this thread is the 'pathway' again, aren't we?

I dont blame any kid for wanting away , there has been no signs over the years of young lads getting a chance to show what they can do in the 1st team ,its always the same old patter they are only babies , need to develop, they are to small

I would flip that on it’s head and ask how many in the last 10years have really kicked on and had great careers or started to have great careers?
Gilmour is the only one I can think of.
My point is - if they are really really good and their heads are where they need to be - it will happen for them

Is he any good? Should we be pushing to get him a new contract?

Cole is a good player and would hope we get him to extend his contract. He signed a contract last summer, at 16 it is a two year contract with club usually looking to extend it after the first year. He missed a lot of games in the past year due to injury.

Didn't move to pro youth until the end of U15's, although I seen him play for Rangers at U13's. He opted to remain at his boys club on the advice of his coach. A lot of clubs were interested when he eventually signed for Rangers.

Gilmour aside*, who have we lost out on from our youths that has went on to have a great career after leaving us?

*Gilmour is currently showing the potential most knew he had but has only played around a dozen first team games. So far.

Cole is a good player and would hope we get him to extend his contract. He signed a contract last summer, at 16 it is a two year contract with club usually looking to extend it after the first year. He missed a lot of games in the past year due to injury.

Didn't move to pro youth until the end of U15's, although I seen him play for Rangers at U13's. He opted to remain at his boys club on the advice of his coach. A lot of clubs were interested when he eventually signed for Rangers.
Drumsagard boy?

I would flip that on it’s head and ask how many in the last 10years have really kicked on and had great careers or started to have great careers?
Gilmour is the only one I can think of.
My point is - if they are really really good and their heads are where they need to be - it will happen for them
On the flip side again many have made it way us ?

Gilmour aside*, who have we lost out on from our youths that has went on to have a great career after leaving us?

*Gilmour is currently showing the potential most knew he had but has only played around a dozen first team games. So far.
Gilmour is also benefitting from Chelsea's transfer ban. He's a fantastic player but I do wonder if he would have been given the chance to show that if Chelsea could have signed big names this season.

Gilmour clearly has his head screwed on. For ever Billy Gilmour there will be a few Islam Feruzs who was made a millionaire by Chelsea and is now without a club.

I understand that Cole is a good lad and very talented so hopefully if he does move down south then he's give a chance (and of course that we get some good add ons.)

According to The Sun.

EVERTON could be set to launch a bid to sign Rangers kid Cole McKinnon.

The 17-year-old midfielder has a year left on his deal with the Light Blues but has caught the attention of several English sides.

The Toffees are keeping tabs on the Scotland Under-17 international, who has already featured for Graeme Murty’s reserve side despite his young age.

Aston Villa are also believed to be admirers of McKinnon, while a number of other clubs south of the border are keeping an eye on the rookie.

McKinnon was a key part of the Rangers Under-17 side that won the prestigious ALKASS Cup in 2019.
Hope he stays and makes it and learns from his brothers downfall

In a way I am happy that our young players are sought after.

The age old conundrum of getting them in the first team remains though.

When you look at Patterson getting ten minutes at home to Stranraer, then you look at Billy Gilmour starting in the Premier League for one of the top clubs then it's easy to understand why more might wan't to chase that.

We can't do anything if players actively want to leave but I think we could do more to show them there is a route to the first team.

Gilmour is also benefitting from Chelsea's transfer ban. He's a fantastic player but I do wonder if he would have been given the chance to show that if Chelsea could have signed big names this season.

Gilmour clearly has his head screwed on. For ever Billy Gilmour there will be a few Islam Feruzs who was made a millionaire by Chelsea and is now without a club.

I understand that Cole is a good lad and very talented so hopefully if he does move down south then he's give a chance (and of course that we get some good add ons.)

The ban got lifted.

Back