Everton set to appoint Rafa Benitez

Mid-table manager? Excluding Newcastle and his most recent venture in China, every other job he has held has been with a top European club. The only team he hasn't won a trophy with is Real Madrid.
Great at Valencia / Liverpool about 20 years ago. Turned a treble winning Inter team into nothing, won a cup in a few seasons at Napoli I think? arguably didn’t achieve much considering the squad at the time, done nothing at Madrid, then he’s kept Newcastle in the Prem for two seasons - just think his rep is higher now than it should be

He will do a better job for them than Ancelotti imo.
I think he has inherited a better squad from Ancelotti than Ancelotti got. Ancelotti is a superior manager imo, although Benetiz seems to do well in cups and is respectable enough in the league. Everton need to do better in the league or win a cup. Every English club wants European football as that can really change the dynamics of the club in terms of players in and money in too.
They should be aiming for Europa League qualification this season. They were 6 points off last season.

He is a genuinely good manager.

I think so as well. Did well with Valencia, then inherited a good Liverpool squad and with a couple of additions delivered the CL in year 1, then got them to the final 2 years later. Built the squad up over 3/4 years and were close to the EPL with the Torres purchase, before running out of steam. Has done well in patches thereafter (Chelsea) and got more out of Newcastle than he really should have.

I don't think this will propel Everton in a Top 4 team, but will certainly get them challenging in and around the best of the rest (~6-8) with maybe some solid cup runs.

It’s an odd appointment by Everton.

Yes, he’s a very good coach, but he’s also a Red. Can’t see this being accepted by either sets of supporters on Merseyside TBH.

He’ll need to guarantee a top 6 finish or a cup if he’s to last beyond next season.

Truth be told, Everton were spoiled with Ancellotti - he was an incredible signing for a Club of their size/stature; now they believe they are entitled to another first class coach… Benitez isn’t that a bad choice if you take the rivalry completely out of it.

Personally I would’ve liked to have seen Nuno go to Goodison. I reckon he would’ve been a good fit.

Was just reading his statement about Everton being a club that's going places, and remembered him calling them a small club after a Merseyside derby. Sir Alex had a go at him for it. Funny how things end up.

Long past his best really.

Not a great appointment from Everton’s perspective and rather puzzling given the many alternatives available.
It's just a merry go round for lots of these so called top managers, once they have had success at least once at there club they have basically a job for life with always some team dreaming that it will work for them when ultimately it wont and they go along picking up £millions along the way.

What a stupid comment. You obviously know nothing about football on Merseyside.

I'm just wondering why Sir Walter Smith would manage the, "Celtic of Liverpool", as you put it, or why so many players have been traded between Rangers and Everton.
Woah, cool them jets, slick!

It was supposed to be tongue in cheek given Timbo’s comment from a few years back contending our supposed ‘Evertonisation’.

Rafa has some believe in himself or a huge ego. He done good jobs at Valencia and Liverpool but then after Jose won treble at inter milan then left rafa took job on. He then took Chelsea job knowing fans didnt like him so a dont think Everton job will faze him

Rafa has some believe in himself or a huge ego. He done good jobs at Valencia and Liverpool but then after Jose won treble at inter milan then left rafa took job on. He then took Chelsea job knowing fans didnt like him so a dont think Everton job will faze him
Hes obvs got bags of confidence which is good and all the credit to him for his achievements in the earlier part of his career, he was a top coach.

Was.

His real success came over 10 years ago and since then its been a series of ill-judged jobs in an increasingly desperate attempt to recapture some past glories.

The trip to China seemed like the pension top-up just before retirement but never underestimate the stupidity of EPL club owners when it comes to appointments.

I dont expect Everton will get relegated but theyll also go nowhere fast.

Back