Everton set to appoint Rafa Benitez

He’ll love that. He loves Liverpool. Pretty sure his family remained in Liverpool when he was in Italy and/or Spain.

He even called his dog Red.

He is not my cup of tea - cheque book manager in my opinion. All I remember is him going on and on everywhere that he needed more and more players.

Everton replacing Ancelotti with Benitez
Flashback to Real Madrid 2015 and they did exactly the same

Good to see managerial merry-go-round never ends

Everton are an absolute nothing club and they’d need a complete overhaul of players to break into the top 6, never mind top 4

Their stadiums held them back tbh but they’re just a bog standard English team now

Shows the tin pot nature of that “derby”. English football yes is the richest league in the world, but I struggle to think of any proper derbies throughout the top league. The closest they have would maybe be Man U v Leeds?

For all the people on here calling him a poor manager, it’s worth remembering that we play exactly like a Benitez side in Europe, and it hasn’t worked out too badly so far.

A cheque book manager for a club splashing the cash.

Expect some serious money going on more players.
Each to their own, but that same type of assertion could therefore be made from others on Walter. Are you saying you are of the same mind from his first spell? Shouldn't he then have easily been able to take us to at least one large european final and won one during that tenure?

I think sometimes we can lose a bit of focus how much of a two two-horse race we have up here and transfer it directly to other clubs as an equation of performance.

Last edited:
I really like him, although I thought some of his decisions one season may have cost Liverpool the league, he, overall, did well there. One his strengths seems to be his calmness under stress, but he has the feel of someone who can read the game well also.

Loves the dollars now does Rafa. His career seems absolutely haphazard like a lot of the former big names.

You know, he might even consider Celtic if they had enough cash. Which, obviously they don’t given their latest appointment.

There's some unwritten rules in football....
Benitez should not be taking the job
Everton should not be giving the job.

Decent appointment but sums up the Merseyside Derby.

All hand holding and kisses. Must be on the most pretend derbies out there.

Seems a bit bizarre to me, can't imagine us ever appointing an Ex mhank manager. For that matter I couldn't see any of our previous managers accepting a job with that mob, even Pedro :))

About to be confirmed apparently.

Not sure how the Everton fans will react to this.

they should be pleased as he is a good manager - however, crossing that divide may not work out well.

only time will tell

About to be confirmed apparently.

Not sure how the Everton fans will react to this.
They're taking it well...

benitez-not-welcome.jpg

1_banner1.jpg

He is not my cup of tea - cheque book manager in my opinion. All I remember is him going on and on everywhere that he needed more and more players.
He wasted a lot of money on players who didn't work out. He'll have to be much shrewder if he's going to do well at Everton.

Everton seem very static as a club, they neither go up nor down, but seem certain to occupy mid table. How big are Everton really in terms of fan base etc?

So he chose the Celtic of Liverpool over the Everton of Glasgow?
What a stupid comment. You obviously know nothing about football on Merseyside.

I'm just wondering why Sir Walter Smith would manage the, "Celtic of Liverpool", as you put it, or why so many players have been traded between Rangers and Everton.

Mid-table manager for a mid-table club, good fit.
Mid-table manager? Excluding Newcastle and his most recent venture in China, every other job he has held has been with a top European club. The only team he hasn't won a trophy with is Real Madrid.

Nuno Espirito Santo did a great job at Wolves, should Everton not have gone for him?

Back