Everyone calling for the Sun to be banned from Ibrox (genuine question)

“What are you trying to achieve”

Erm, i’ll take a stab in the dark... The sun banned from Ibrox.

Newspapers are dying on their arse and require income from advertising more than ever.
If they no longer have access to the biggest club in the country then sales will slump further and advertisers may well go elsewhere with their money

What are we hoping to be achieved in reality?

I've been thinking about this over the last week, and tbh I don't see the benefit (Fully aware could be missing a trick here).

For me banning them from Ibrox is just going to exacerbate the hatred between the two parties even more and further intensify the bad blood / bad reports and multiply the articles that so thoroughly enrage us?

So what's the point? I feel like we're not going to achieve anything going down this route.

I'm wondering if taking a more tactful behind the scene approach and starting to fight a little more clever is the route to go down?

I use BBC as a reference, and I just don't see where we have benefited from that whole escapade?

I dunno, i'm maybe talking mince and just f'ng them out of Ibrox is the best thing, but I just can'thelp shake the feeling it's a little short sighted and fuelled entirely by emotion.

For me there is absolutely no doubt, and I mean NO DOUBTS, that Celtic have got a firm hold of the media (or the majority of them) behind the scenes and are basically using them at their will for PR, and in that regards, if we're very honest with ourselves,they can only benefit from.

I'm almost entirely sure that Celtic have give the instruction to drive Morelos out of this country by any means necessary. I know that sounds like whacky talk, but those who know how the real world works knows that this is a dirty underhanded trick that is fully feasible.

So I ask - what can we do more intelligently to either equal the balance or certainly reduce it's negative effect on our club?

Personally Rangers need to get finger out in terms of news (PR) , Am a fan of the Hearts idea with the monthly chairman statements on the issues they face why cant Rangers not do similar?
Its hard to trust news outlets as you said Celtic have a firm hand in certain departments and believing anything we read is now a major hit and miss ( mainly miss) .

I agree about Morelos , Gerrard even said it too they are trying to ruin his career here but Morelos is strong and capable on holding his own against them.

scottish media know's a negative Rangers story is enough to increase paper sales or website clicks ....

I'd ban them and Leckie .

If any Rangers fans are buying the Scottish Sun or clicking on their links, then that right there is a bigger issue than anything else.

I haven't bought the Scottish Sun or clicked on any of its Twitter, Facebook or Internet link in years.

That the single easiest win we have as a fan base. If it's not being done then I'm flabbergasted.

They’ll still sit and write about Rangers from the sideline.

like that wee knob Gollum from the BBC reporting from across the road at Ibrox

we should remove them though - and give special privileges to those that are fairer in their reporting

for example, while The Sun/BBC reporters comment from the street, Sky and The Daily Mail (for example) are inside warm cosy Ibrox, getting fed and watered and given exclusive information and interviews.

By the time they do get round to reporting it, it will already be yesterday’s news.

And don’t forget, even the tims will stop buying and watching as they like their Rangers information to be up to the minute

Get the fuckers banned. They are scum. Seriously pissed aff with the clubs response to this. Not even close to being good enough.

This is a newspaper that lied about dead and dying football fans.

I want us to do what they do to us. Damage the brand. I want their circulation to drop. I want their advertising revenues to drop. I want there to be job losses.

I want their demise.

I want us to do what they do to us. Damage the brand. I want their circulation to drop. I want their advertising revenues to drop. I want there to be job losses.

I want their demise.

didn't Liverpool knock back the FA recently on England games because of the sun?

TV companies (Sky / BT / Premier) are vital to us in terms of revenue and there will be contractual obligations with them. We dance to their tune unfortunately.

Tabloids however offer us nothing and we are under no obligation to be unbiased, so likewise we are under no obligation to cater to them. So don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I want their demise.
we a need Liverpool style stance on the sun.

The plan is twofold:

1. Turn more fans to in-house, fan led, online coverage which is not written by Celtic supporting idiots. Avoid click-bait.
2. Render The Sun irrelevant as it is on Merseyside. Its views on football are unwelcome, unnecessary and not sought.

For a start, you ban the whole organisation from the stadium, you strip every journalist of press conference privilege who work for them. Good guys included. It's up to them to change the place were they work.

That means they don't get access to our players or management team. Their output will suffer be it from inside scoops, transfer stories etc.

It gives the fans a feeling that them and the club are on the same page.

Plus it's The Sun ffs.

For me banning them from Ibrox is just going to exacerbate the hatred between the two parties even more and further intensify the bad blood / bad reports and multiply the articles that so thoroughly enrage us?

what is this pish?

so we dont ban them to show we are nice and friends in the hope that what?
they stop their hatred of our best player and their disgusting views on our fans and club

how about we do this...
tell them to %^*& off and not give them any access to a fucking thing not a ticket not an interview nothing

then let them try and sell their fucking rag

C80245-C8-6-D46-4-BCC-9-ECB-EBFB7-DCB8-D38.png

The plan is twofold:

1. Turn more fans to in-house, fan led, online coverage which is not written by Celtic supporting idiots. Avoid click-bait.
2. Render The Sun irrelevant as it is on Merseyside. Its views on football are unwelcome, unnecessary and not sought.

Point 2 is the main thing for me. No point in comparing to the BBC, they do not have the same commercial pressure. Banning the Scottish Sun weakens their output, and they will sell less papers. Someone at a higher level will take note and might try and address the problems. A Scottish newspaper not bought by rangers fans at all is not really a viable commercial proposition.

It’s a matter of principal.

Yes, they hate us anyway and they'll continue to write their shite

I've been thinking about this over the last week, and tbh I don't see the benefit (Fully aware could be missing a trick here).

So what's the point? I feel like we're not going to achieve anything going down this route.

I use BBC as a reference, and I just don't see where we have benefited from that whole escapade?

I dunno, i'm maybe talking mince and just f'ng them out of Ibrox is the best thing, but I just can'thelp shake the feeling it's a little short sighted and fuelled entirely by emotion.

For me there is absolutely no doubt, and I mean NO DOUBTS, that Celtic have got a firm hold of the media (or the majority of them) behind the scenes and are basically using them at their will for PR, and in that regards, if we're very honest with ourselves,they can only benefit from.

I'm almost entirely sure that Celtic have give the instruction to drive Morelos out of this country by any means necessary. I know that sounds like whacky talk, but those who know how the real world works knows that this is a dirty underhanded trick that is fully feasible.

So I ask - what can we do more intelligently to either equal the balance or certainly reduce it's negative effect on our club?

They'll continue to write negatively about us whether we ban them or not. Doing what we're doing just now trying to encourage them not to isn't working.

So, if that's their take, they shouldn't be invited to our home. They're welcome to continue peddling their pish but if the club act, it might wake a few in our support who continue to buy the paper and click the links that the club doesn't like it.

The BBC is a different kettle of fish as A) we haven't actually banned them much as they like to pretend we did and B) they're the state broadcaster and can be held to account by their own regulations.

The Sun is a commercial enterprise who can do what they want and the way to stop them is by hurt their business and if the club ban then and fans stop engaging, that will begin to have that effect.

You're not dealing with regular inelligent people. You're dealing with hatred. Nothing will change their mind. Hit their pockets instead.

Last edited:
The Rangers fan who racially abused Scott Sinclair was banned from Ibrox.

The Sun newspaper that prints racist articles about our own player are still given access to our stadium and staff.

If the sun are allowed in then why is the other guy banned?

I'm not entirely sure what the Club banning The Sun, The Record or any individual journo from Ibrox achieves either. It sends out a message perhaps - but its a message all Rangers fans should have already received loud and clear. I agree no 'harm' will come to the Club by doing so but I'm not sure I see any benefit in it either. Have Liverpool gained anything from banning The Sun? Did the BBC collapse on its arse when Fergie wouldn't talk to them? Not as I recall.

The 'real' power here is with we fans. As has been promoted for many years - don't buy their rags. Don't click on their links etc etc. Minimise their revenue, that's all that matters to them. We all know a huge chunk of our fans will continue to subsidise them though.

My opinion is that if we're going to do this then we really need an alternative to go to. There's half a dozen papers out there, it's pretty tragic if we cant befriend one or if commercially etc one cant see gains in being Rangers friendly.

And club would be absolutely right to ask fro public apology and retraction on Leckie.

As the C1872 statement said, I think using the fan led media is by far a better idea.

We don't need to go and read the Express or the Mail just because we're not reading the Sun.

Given the likes of H&H are not in anyway throwing out the club party line, are we not better using that than a paper who has no interest in us?

I'm not entirely sure what the Club banning The Sun, The Record or any individual journo from Ibrox achieves either. It sends out a message perhaps - but its a message all Rangers fans should have already received loud and clear. I agree no 'harm' will come to the Club by doing so but I'm not sure I see any benefit in it either. Have Liverpool gained anything from banning The Sun? Did the BBC collapse on its arse when Fergie wouldn't talk to them? Not as I recall.

The 'real' power here is with we fans. As has been promoted for many years - don't buy their rags. Don't click on their links etc etc. Minimise their revenue, that's all that matters to them. We all know a huge chunk of our fans will continue to subsidise them though.

Rangers fans tend to take their lead from the club. Part of it is due to the hold Murray had over the support. What he said was gospel (for a long period of his tenure and for all of it for some fans) and it's an issue now that if the fan base don't see the club doing it, they don't take it upon themselves.

On here, it's not a representitive of the entire support about how switched on people are. You listen to some of the converations from people at the ground who have STs and wonder how they can be so far from the reality of the matter when they're clearly taken a decision to spend hundreds of pounds on a leisure pursuit that they must have an interest in.

Liverpool have gained the higher ground on the entire matter by banning The Sun.

The Sun is a scummy rag that should disgust the average person. Banning it would be a moral victory for starters. If it does no harm as you say, I fail to see why we shouldn't do it.

I don't know what the best road is to go down to reel in that rag but I hope we don't make Leckie a martyr he will f*****g love it.

Sorry, shite like what?
Sorry, thought I'd selected and replied to the particular shite I was referring to.
It was this "do they have other reasons for not wading in gung-ho at every perceived slight?"
I think we've had this conversation previously, but again, managing our image professionally shouldn't include the straw man you threw in.

What we hope to achieve is to show them that writing the utter crap they allow in their rag won't go unpunished.

Also there's of course the fact that The Sun is one of the worst papers in existence so we don't lose anything by banning them on principle.

Listen this pains me to say this but its the truth.
The media in Scotland is still very powerful unfortunately. We bemoan we don't get a fair crack and the truth is we don't.
I reckon BBC Scotland has got one up on us, they love it the way it is and i believe they don't want to make up. As a club with Gerrard a world icon as our Manager they totally blank us and give minimal coverage and revel in it.
By banning the sun we give them carte blanche to totally rip the club to shreds and get very dirty.
This makes me sick but there must be a more clever way of getting back at the sun and Leckie himself certainly has a big payback in the bank, from Rangers or the support.

the david murray way of dealing with this

Sorry, thought I'd selected and replied to the particular shite I was referring to.
It was this "do they have other reasons for not wading in gung-ho at every perceived slight?"
I think we've had this conversation previously, but again, managing our image professionally shouldn't include the straw man you threw in.

No, you selected it alright, I just wanted to be sure I'd picked you up correctly.

If we've already had this conversation then there's no point going through it again chief.

the david murray way of dealing with this

I presume that's intended as an insult. I have no interest in SDMs stance but you've completely ignored the rest of my post. Other than gaining the moral high ground -and there's nothing wrong with that if that's what the Club want to do - what have Liverpool gained by banning The Sun? Has it changed their coverage of Liverpool? Has it stopped them writing articles about Liverpool? No. Have they lost sales in and around Liverpool? Yes - and that will hurt them in the pocket. Did the Beeb wither and die when Fergie wouldn't speak to them? No, they just battered on regardless and it was Man Utd who kept getting fined for failing to meet their media obligations.

If we want to ban anyone then fine, crack on and do it. If we expect it to actually achieve anything, or change the way we are covered, then we are living in dreamland. It will simply be seen, portrayed and reported as spiteful - and everything will carry on as before. Much like the Gollum thing. It has changed nothing.

Let them!
Some of our supporters still take personal offence to anyone daring to criticise this board so maybe if they actually came out and banned this comic those who follow on blindly would take notice and stop buying it or clicking their links.
My one criticism of the board is they're not seen to be doing enough to challenge the attacks on the club and fans. I really do wish they would come out with all guns blazing now and then,and for the record, I would like nothing better than to see the sun banned by the club.

I can see where the OP is coming from on this.

%^*& the Sun, but banning them just makes us look petty. Our press officer should be making sure they don't get opportunities to ask questions at press conferences, our manager (who is the biggest draw in Scottish football for at least 20 years) won't speak to them, other players should be the same now to stand together with their teammate.

The above results in all of the same consequences for the Sun, but doesn't shine a light on it and make us look silly.

I'm wondering if taking a more tactful behind the scene approach and starting to fight a little more clever is the route to go down?

There is a difference between banning the Sun & the ongoing dispute with the BBC imo.

The Sun, like any other media outlet (except BBC) are free to take whatever editorial position they wish to. They are a private enterprise & if they wish to alienate the Rangers support at a time where print media is dying, then its up to them. WE have the choice not to buy their paper.

The BBC on the other hand are publically funded through the TV Tax. They have a duty to be fair & impartial & they are failing to adhere to their charter. The problem is that BBC bigwigs in London have no interest in admonishing Pacific Quay & ensuring fair & balanced output from them. Until this changes we will remain in the same position.

I presume that's intended as an insult.

it wasnt an insult just stating that its what DM told us every single AGM when someone mentioned McNee or some other wanker in the press. He wouldnt do anything and would advise the fans exactly what you have said. Rangers need to lead by example imo

it wasnt an insult just stating that its what DM told us every single AGM when someone mentioned McNee or some other wanker in the press. He wouldnt do anything and would advise the fans exactly what you have said. Rangers need to lead by example imo

Fair do's mate. As I've said in my last post, if that's what we want to do then crack on and do it. Its unrealistic to expect it to change anything at all in the way we are reported though. IMHO. So long as we all understand that.

Banning them will just give them more stories to write.

Just tell Andy Devlin he is no longer getting info about our transfers while he works there.

Listen this pains me to say this but its the truth.
The media in Scotland is still very powerful unfortunately. We bemoan we don't get a fair crack and the truth is we don't.
I reckon BBC Scotland has got one up on us, they love it the way it is and i believe they don't want to make up. As a club with Gerrard a world icon as our Manager they totally blank us and give minimal coverage and revel in it.
By banning the sun we give them carte blanche to totally rip the club to shreds and get very dirty.
This makes me sick but there must be a more clever way of getting back at the sun and Leckie himself certainly has a big payback in the bank, from Rangers or the support.

All it does is illustrate the BBC Scotland's pettiness and ill-service to their customers. They may revel in it but it simply looks pathetic to any reasonable individual.

The Sun are already doing that. Aren't you reading their articles on Alfie?

There’s a the concept of a ban being a punishment and given their recent articles then there is a strong case for it.

I can equally see a different route though... bring them close and make them sweat. I’d quite enjoy the sports and/or news editors of The Sun being invited to come and meet, say, someone from the Colombian Embassy and discuss their coverage of Morelos.

Banning is one thing - playing the cnuts at their own game and making life uncomfortable for them seems better though.

I have don't see what we get out of having a relationship with The Sun or The BBC .
I struggle to see the benefits.
What I do see is lies , snide remarks and a downright belittling of my Football Team.
Coincidently from a multitude of Complicit FC minded writer/pundits/reporters.
Kicking them out will make not a blind bit of difference to their agenda such is the hatred.
So the choice is, wait for the next slur, and it will be coming, or
Telling them face to face, F@ck Off your done and to hell with consequences .
Its time to grow a set .
On Rangers On.

Fergie was the master of siege mentality with his united side, he also done the same at aberdeen, which was and will always remain their most successful period.

I wrote in an earlier post that gerrard was looking for a fine catch and he got one, in doing so he has created a siege mentality within our squad and its beginning to show.

It's time to lay off the board with the endless criticism they're getting on here regarding this. As far as I can see, going by the last couple of years they've being doing a great job.

We're the ones who have dived in head first and took the bait from this clown and have gave him more publicity than his column deserved.

I don’t care about banning them. I think the club should be calling on fans to stop reading or advertising with them. We boycotted our own club to get the spice out and our merchandise is toxic because of boycotts that suited the board. This should be a no brainer

Back