Everyone calling for the Sun to be banned from Ibrox (genuine question)

Rather than a blanket ban on them us bears should just ignore them .Do not buy the rags I've not bought the for years and don't miss them in the slightest .
Players give interviews why , ex players should stop it as well , don't even click on stories on line doesn't matter if you click the dislike button on you tube the channel gets the same money as if you had clicked the like button .
Club should give them bare minimum information so they don't get in trouble with the league rules

All it does is illustrate the BBC Scotland's pettiness and ill-service to their customers. They may revel in it but it simply looks pathetic to any reasonable individual.

The Sun are already doing that. Aren't you reading their articles on Alfie?

Totally agree with the BBC, many supporters particularly older don't use the internet or subscribe to SKY or BT Sports and its criminal they way they are treating these people.
Im fully aware of the press criticism of anything Rangers or Morelos, the point im making and as much as it galls me, they cam make things much, much worse and i believe they'd love the opportunity.

ask Liverpool if it harmed them these last 30 odd years
Liverpool will be a football club long after the Sun stop being a press rhag.
So will we.

Banning them loses us nothing.
Yes, they will continue to write vile stuff about our support and our club, but at least we won't be legitimising their behaviour by inviting them into Ibrox.
Indeed it may help others to put their poison into some perspective.

I’ve always thought banning them went against the grain, but he totally over stepped the mark.
Newspapers really on their last legs ban them, I have also took them out my Twitter, google and Apple news feeds, every little helps.

Just ‘banning’ an outlet doesn’t achieve anything by itself.

When Celtic fell out with the Record they flashed adverts telling fans not to buy it.

There will be Rangers supporters out there who are completely oblivious to the situation re BBC Scotland.

Why wouldn’t they be? The club hasn’t publicised the problem.

Why isn’t the club communicating properly? We need to use the website to list examples of bias and carry hard-hitting articles that seriously challenge the mainstream media.

What seems to have happened is that anything remotely ‘controversial’ is handed to Club1872 which clearly doesn’t have the clout.

Must admit as soon as i read the first few lines of the article i thought he wants to be banned, maybe that is why the club didnt do anything or maybe we just dont have a clue how to deal with it. Is a very difficult issue you ban this rocket theres dozens more ready to spew bile.

why not ask Hannah and his mate to do a wee interview on rtv and answer questions about the piece, their behaviour and the way they attack the club all the time ? seems a better idea(maybe just to me right enough) than a ban or the old dignified.

The Sun chose freely to publish a racist attack on one of our players. We either just accept it or make a stand. The Sun has previous with us for publishing lies.

somewhere we have to say out loud this is wrong. Ban them. Otherwise it goes on and on. What other way can we make them stop?

Rangers don't need any 'newspaper' - they need us for clicks on their websites and for the dwindling numbers that buy 'newspapers'

Release everything via the clubs website.

If we banned The Sun, The Daily Record, The BBC and Radio Clyde we could end up getting negative stories printed/broadcast and the mentally challengeds getting favourable media comment

:rolleyes:

If we banned The Sun, The Daily Record, The BBC and Radio Clyde we could end up getting negative stories printed/broadcast and the mentally challengeds getting favourable media comment

:rolleyes:
They wouldn’t do that as they’re all fair minded companies who would seek clear the air talks to sort things out,

Best thing to do is support our own people who do the podcasts like David Edgar, CJ Novo etc who are a better alternative to the shite in the mainstream media.

Listen this pains me to say this but its the truth.
The media in Scotland is still very powerful unfortunately. We bemoan we don't get a fair crack and the truth is we don't.
I reckon BBC Scotland has got one up on us, they love it the way it is and i believe they don't want to make up. As a club with Gerrard a world icon as our Manager they totally blank us and give minimal coverage and revel in it.
By banning the sun we give them carte blanche to totally rip the club to shreds and get very dirty.
This makes me sick but there must be a more clever way of getting back at the sun and Leckie himself certainly has a big payback in the bank, from Rangers or the support.
I agree. We are without doubt the loser in our relationship with the BBC. We are not to blame, we warned them loads of times, the BBC Trust warned them, McLaughlan simply had to be banned. But they’ve managed to spin this into us banning the whole bbc and used it as a means to ignore us and snipe and wind us up from a safe distance (Sportscene) in the knowledge there’s nothing we can do about it. We can’t complain any more than we do. We can’t exactly ban them again.

Difference is the BBC shouldn’t be allowed to do it. They are not a private company, they are a public service. We must pay them so they in turn must cover everything. I can’t think of one other person place or thing which the bbc boycott.

If we hadn’t already banned the bbc I’d definitely ban the sun but I’d be reluctant now

The club are keen to heal the BBC issue, the 19th Century Terrorist‘s at Pacific Quay CSC not so much.

i think that tells us that The Board perceive that Gollum’s ban has not had it’s intended consequences.

We’re in a bind. It would appear almost every print and broadcasting media in Scotland is pro-Timmy and anti-Rangers. I have no idea how they managed to pull-off this trick, but it’s now an absolute fact. We’re not holding that many cards.

However, that is not an excuse to do nothing as we all know about nature and vacuums.

The club clearly feel that they’ve made inroads with regards to the media.

The club clearly think the “Everyone, Anyone” campaign is a success.

The club also believe the women’s team generates further goodwill.

The club also believe C1872 is the right vehicle to act as a mouthpiece.

Many of us, (myself included), may disagree with the club’s approach but have no idea how to fix it. Perhaps Leckie was goading us and the club sensed a trap?

The bottom line is that just because we can’t see a cohesive strategy, does not mean there isn’t one.

I’m no expert on 21st century PR but it doesn’t look that robust and therein lies the problem.

We’re pretty much vilified throughout Scoltish society. We’d lose an all out war as soon as one supporter calls someone “19th Century Terrorist” or commits a relatively minor transgression.

i don’t know the answers but I still think it’s reasonable to question the actions of those who should.

The OP mentions the BBC I really do wish we could get some sort of settlement but for that you need both sides to want that and equally the BBC have to acknowledge what they have done and are doing and that still looks a million miles away. Not being mentioned on BBC Scotland must cause us harm especially to bears outside the greater Glasgow area. Clearly there are various podcasts and there are various fans sites but it’s still not great. As for the Sun who cares ban them.

I presume that's intended as an insult. I have no interest in SDMs stance but you've completely ignored the rest of my post. Other than gaining the moral high ground -and there's nothing wrong with that if that's what the Club want to do - what have Liverpool gained by banning The Sun? Has it changed their coverage of Liverpool? Has it stopped them writing articles about Liverpool? No. Have they lost sales in and around Liverpool? Yes - and that will hurt them in the pocket. Did the Beeb wither and die when Fergie wouldn't speak to them? No, they just battered on regardless and it was Man Utd who kept getting fined for failing to meet their media obligations.

If we want to ban anyone then fine, crack on and do it. If we expect it to actually achieve anything, or change the way we are covered, then we are living in dreamland. It will simply be seen, portrayed and reported as spiteful - and everything will carry on as before. Much like the Gollum thing. It has changed nothing.
I don't think anyone actually expects the sun to change, it's a paper by scum for scum, always has been and always will be.

We know they'll continue in their twisted hate filled way, they are poets they know no better.

Surely the fact that we all know they'll continue in the same vein regardless of a ban is reason enough to actually do it?
They can't be reasoned with, they can't be professional, they can't be trusted.

There will likely be no benefit to Rangers given their agenda but since they are all about taking every chance to damage our clubs brand it's only reasonable we give some back.

What are we hoping to be achieved in reality?

I've been thinking about this over the last week, and tbh I don't see the benefit (Fully aware could be missing a trick here).

For me banning them from Ibrox is just going to exacerbate the hatred between the two parties even more and further intensify the bad blood / bad reports and multiply the articles that so thoroughly enrage us?

So what's the point? I feel like we're not going to achieve anything going down this route.

I'm wondering if taking a more tactful behind the scene approach and starting to fight a little more clever is the route to go down?

I use BBC as a reference, and I just don't see where we have benefited from that whole escapade?

I dunno, i'm maybe talking mince and just f'ng them out of Ibrox is the best thing, but I just can'thelp shake the feeling it's a little short sighted and fuelled entirely by emotion.

For me there is absolutely no doubt, and I mean NO DOUBTS, that Celtic have got a firm hold of the media (or the majority of them) behind the scenes and are basically using them at their will for PR, and in that regards, if we're very honest with ourselves,they can only benefit from.

I'm almost entirely sure that Celtic have give the instruction to drive Morelos out of this country by any means necessary. I know that sounds like whacky talk, but those who know how the real world works knows that this is a dirty underhanded trick that is fully feasible.

So I ask - what can we do more intelligently to either equal the balance or certainly reduce it's negative effect on our club?
They write whatever they want and will write whatever they want. Lies, slanders etc. I just don't think we should be complicit in this behaviour. They'll write what they like, bit not with our assent. %^*& em.

The bbc are behaving like that clown john Mason. They're depriving people who pay towards their corporation with news of their club.

Not everyone has the internet or sky/bt, especially older people. I would love to see many numbers stop paying the license fee, but I totally understand people who dont want any hassle or people at their door chasing them up. More so if you just have council tv. Problem is, that it would really take substantial numbers to stop paying for them to take notice.

I love this new idea that bbc Scotland 'won' in their dispute with us. Let's say a certain trophy is secured this May. Who the f*** is going to be the ones stuck outside with no interviews, access or the like?!! The world will descend on Ibrox. We'll hardly miss Pacific Quay?!!!!

Last straw for me.

I never want to see another Sun article as long as I live and will celebrate the day they disappear.

Unfortunately you will see them copied and pasted on here on a regular basis. I'm happy enough to cast my eye over the photos of the back pages Suck posts for us and leave it at that.

When we win 55 and the "stade" starts to crumble , my guess is the media will desert them and will be clambering to work with us , expectant of the blue pound of course. When this day comes , that's the time to remind the green pound takers of their past and politely show them the door .

Given this latest attack on Alfredo added to the almost daily attacks on everything and anything associated with our club, the question is why do we bother letting them near our club or players at all ? As you say, they're working for celtc in trying every trick in the book from damaging our brand to devaluing our players worth and especially trying to drive Alfredo out. Get them banned and do everything in house. Won't make one bit of difference in how were reported by them anyhow.

I love this new idea that bbc Scotland 'won' in their dispute with us. Let's say a certain trophy is secured this May. Who the f*** is going to be the ones stuck outside with no interviews, access or the like?!! The world will descend on Ibrox. We'll hardly miss Pacific Quay?!!!!

I doubt whether Pacific Quay would be bothered.

The move concerning McLaughlin wasn’t thought through.

If it had been accompanied by a campaign against BBC Scotland we might have got somewhere.

My gut feeling is that there is no-one inside the club who is comfortable with politics and the media.

I admired Liverpool FC for taking the stance they took, the benefit of that was thousands and thousands of their fans simply won't buy the paper, brilliant.
I'd be delighted if Rangers went down that road, it would make thousands of our fans do the same.
Hit them in the pocket, ban the rhats.

I honestly think if the Rangers fans do the same as the Liverpool fans and just don‘t buy the paper it will hurt them real hard. No need for big statements etc. just quietly stop buying the rag, they’ll soon get the message.

I agree. We are without doubt the loser in our relationship with the BBC. We are not to blame, we warned them loads of times, the BBC Trust warned them, McLaughlan simply had to be banned. But they’ve managed to spin this into us banning the whole bbc and used it as a means to ignore us and snipe and wind us up from a safe distance (Sportscene) in the knowledge there’s nothing we can do about it. We can’t complain any more than we do. We can’t exactly ban them again.

Difference is the BBC shouldn’t be allowed to do it. They are not a private company, they are a public service. We must pay them so they in turn must cover everything. I can’t think of one other person place or thing which the bbc boycott.

If we hadn’t already banned the bbc I’d definitely ban the sun but I’d be reluctant now
To the best of my limited knowledge we haven't banned the BBC.

To the best of my limited knowledge we haven't banned the BBC.
We havent. We refused Chris McLaughlin his press privileges, but he can buy a ticket and enter the stadium. The BBC can send someone else to report on Rangers and will be admitted into the stadium. The fact they do not, to me, says they are more than happy to continue the myth that they as a whole, are banned.
Its their bitter feud with us, not the other way round.

The club are keen to heal the BBC issue, the 19th Century Terrorist‘s at Pacific Quay CSC not so much.

i think that tells us that The Board perceive that Gollum’s ban has not had it’s intended consequences.

We’re in a bind. It would appear almost every print and broadcasting media in Scotland is pro-Timmy and anti-Rangers. I have no idea how they managed to pull-off this trick, but it’s now an absolute fact. We’re not holding that many cards.

However, that is not an excuse to do nothing as we all know about nature and vacuums.

The club clearly feel that they’ve made inroads with regards to the media.

The club clearly think the “Everyone, Anyone” campaign is a success.

The club also believe the women’s team generates further goodwill.

The club also believe C1872 is the right vehicle to act as a mouthpiece.

Many of us, (myself included), may disagree with the club’s approach but have no idea how to fix it. Perhaps Leckie was goading us and the club sensed a trap?

The bottom line is that just because we can’t see a cohesive strategy, does not mean there isn’t one.

I’m no expert on 21st century PR but it doesn’t look that robust and therein lies the problem.

We’re pretty much vilified throughout Scoltish society. We’d lose an all out war as soon as one supporter calls someone “19th Century Terrorist” or commits a relatively minor transgression.

i don’t know the answers but I still think it’s reasonable to question the actions of those who should.

some good points there. However appeasement just doesn’t really work. We have sat back and let the media abuse Alfredo much the same way we allowed Diouf to be abused.

The negative stories will happen anyway if we speak to the Sun or not. So for me this comes down to the club backing the player and the fans Or the media.

The days of the print media being all powerful are done. We don’t need their approval or support.

The BBC is different. I see little damage in banning the sun. Not hurt Liverpool. Strengthened the tie with the fans.

As the C1872 statement said, I think using the fan led media is by far a better idea.

We don't need to go and read the Express or the Mail just because we're not reading the Sun.

Given the likes of H&H are not in anyway throwing out the club party line, are we not better using that than a paper who has no interest in us?

Long term i agree. But newspapers have tremendous reach and the systems are already in place. They push the narrative out to many more people in the general public (and even in the Rangers support) than Rangers-centred content do at the moment. People have papers as their routine or as their only source of news and opinion.

The tims saw the benefit in this. They have hijacked most of the MSM sports departments. And in return look at the constant toxic, brand-damaging, dehumanising muck we have to endure. I dont think we can ignore it and the newspapers wont disappear for a while yet. So we (the club) really needs to work at influencing some part of that.

There were calls on FF for years for Spiers to be banned. When he finally was posters were pointing out that he wasn’t really ‘banned’ - he merely had his press privileges removed.

Ditto McLaughlin.

What do people really want when they say someone or something should be ‘banned’?

If we don’t publicise why we feel aggrieved then what is the point of the exercise at all?

I honestly think if the Rangers fans do the same as the Liverpool fans and just don‘t buy the paper it will hurt them real hard. No need for big statements etc. just quietly stop buying the rag, they’ll soon get the message.

I don't think it would happen, not quite on the same scale anyway.

That's down to the fact that although the Sun are utter scum and have written some shocking articles on us, it's nowhere near the same level of what they wrote about Liverpool. Liverpool fans will never forgive that paper, they will tell their sons and daughters about it like they have done for decades and it will be like this forever.

With us we will have fans who are aware of our club banning them (if it ever happened) but I don't think it will stop them buying it, not nearly as much as Liverpool fans have. In this sense I don't think the impact will be quite the same.

Here is the point.......
If I called your cousin a dirty hoor, would you invite me i to your home?
If so, you would be acting like the club by allowing someone to malign one of your family without criticism and still inviting that person into your own home.
Does it make sense now.

It’s very simple to work out...ALL media outlets are going to report and act as they see fit whether the club bans them or not so if you start from the premise that in Scotland the vast majority of them are anti Rangers and purposely work to an ongoing agenda of general negativity and antics designed to antagonise, destabilise and trash the club and fans reputation the media offers practically ZERO value to the Rangers support IMO and the club.

What the club thinks about the situation I don’t know but personally I feel Rangers are woefully inadequate and ineffective in dealing with these arse holes and sadly too many numb nuts love a banner headline and can’t stop buying these shit stirring papers. Don’t get me started on the BBC and other broadcasters STV and Snyde.

I doubt whether Pacific Quay would be bothered.

The move concerning McLaughlin wasn’t thought through.

If it had been accompanied by a campaign against BBC Scotland we might have got somewhere.

My gut feeling is that there is no-one inside the club who is comfortable with politics and the media.

That seems undeniable given the constant barrage of negativity we're subjected to, but you do wonder why it's not been addressed.

It's a pretty glaring deficiency in our operations.

Not only should we be banning the Sun from the games and press conferences, we should be hitting this rag in the pocket by instructing the support not to purchase the paper and asking our commercial partners not to advertise in the rag.

I personally am sick of the negative stories constantly printed by the sun and the record.
Yet there they are every home game,with their reporters sitting in the best seats in the house,getting pampered with free food and drinks and internet access only for the same Pish to get printed again.
Fans have to pay for a seat so why not them?
Get them called in to Ibrox and told,any more anti rangers stuff and your reporter is banned,if it keeps happening the entire paper is banned.
The building bridges stuff isn't working

Back