Everyone calling for the Sun to be banned from Ibrox (genuine question)

bringbackmols

What are we hoping to be achieved in reality?

I've been thinking about this over the last week, and tbh I don't see the benefit (Fully aware could be missing a trick here).

For me banning them from Ibrox is just going to exacerbate the hatred between the two parties even more and further intensify the bad blood / bad reports and multiply the articles that so thoroughly enrage us?

So what's the point? I feel like we're not going to achieve anything going down this route.

I'm wondering if taking a more tactful behind the scene approach and starting to fight a little more clever is the route to go down?

I use BBC as a reference, and I just don't see where we have benefited from that whole escapade?

I dunno, i'm maybe talking mince and just f'ng them out of Ibrox is the best thing, but I just can'thelp shake the feeling it's a little short sighted and fuelled entirely by emotion.

For me there is absolutely no doubt, and I mean NO DOUBTS, that Celtic have got a firm hold of the media (or the majority of them) behind the scenes and are basically using them at their will for PR, and in that regards, if we're very honest with ourselves,they can only benefit from.

I'm almost entirely sure that Celtic have give the instruction to drive Morelos out of this country by any means necessary. I know that sounds like whacky talk, but those who know how the real world works knows that this is a dirty underhanded trick that is fully feasible.

So I ask - what can we do more intelligently to either equal the balance or certainly reduce it's negative effect on our club?

'I'm wondering if taking a more tactful behind the scene approach and starting to fight a little more clever is the route to go down?'

Yeah, because that has just served us so well. The Sun should have been served with a ban immediately after that article went to print. As mentioned above, it is a matter of principle. Our board are weaker than hen's piss when it comes to this stuff though so the Sun and their pondlife reporters will continue to have free reign to personally attack any of our players for as long as they want. Unless the target of one of their diatribes sits on the board of course, then we'll see some action.

We aren't asking for preferential treatment or anything like that, we just want to be reported on fairly like most teams.
Personally i would like an apology to Rangers, Rangers fans and Alfredo Morelos, and the sacking of the "journalist" responsible for a vile article.
By boycotting them and banning them, they will lose revenue.
Hurting them in the pocket is the only way they will listen.

They are going to print what they are going to print, that is their perogative.

However.

It is our perogative who we allow access into our stadium and who we wllow to speak to our players/staff.

Im not usually one for advocating ban/boycotts etc however leckies latest personal attack on alfredo is an absolute disgrace and he/they should be banned until an apology is printed to alfredo.

F*ck the sun.

We would gain a bit of self respect. At the moment they are targeting our players in a hate campaign and we welcome them in. F*ck that.

it's actually a good time to do it. The press are coming more and more under scrutiny for their campaign against Meghan Markle so it would be quite a statement for Rangers to say "We will no longer stand for the bullying of our players by a vindictive press with an agenda. While we welcome constructive criticism, if you deliberately attack our players then you will no longer be welcome in our stadium, Cheery!"

Firstly we did not ban the BBC. That issue has escalated due to increased resentment within BBC because they are genuinely full of Rangers haters. They ban themselves from Ibrox, our EL games our training camps etc. They will cover the scum and have a jolly on the other side of Europe rather than cover a Scottish club playing a mile up the road.

re the Sun. If our club website or any official Rangers publication or media release attacked one of their employees in such a discriminatory manner as they have attacked ours they would play extreme hardball. It is not unreasonable for Rangers to cut off contact in these circumstances. The same goes for the racist article by Keith Jackson in the Record. These papers are entitled to question the ability and temperament of players but when it verges on racism and unfounded character assassination they need emptied. They need us more than we need them.

The question should be, in their present state what exactly are Rangers getting from the Scottish media, apart from ultra negative articles and slanderous remarks about our players and manager.
You also wrongly assume that there’s hatred on both sides, there’s not, our lot don’t hate anyone, that’s the problem.
They carry on as if nothing has happened and can’t really be arsed doing anything constructive if it means actually fighting our corner apart from useless one off statements that they never seem to follow through with.

I've been thinking about this over the last week, and tbh I don't see the benefit (Fully aware could be missing a trick here).

For me banning them from Ibrox is just going to exacerbate the hatred between the two parties even more and further intensify the bad blood / bad reports and multiply the articles that so thoroughly enrage us?

So what's the point? I feel like we're not going to achieve anything going down this route.

I'm wondering if taking a more tactful behind the scene approach and starting to fight a little more clever is the route to go down?

I use BBC as a reference, and I just don't see where we have benefited from that whole escapade?

I dunno, i'm maybe talking mince and just f'ng them out of Ibrox is the best thing, but I just can'thelp shake the feeling it's a little short sighted and fuelled entirely by emotion.

For me there is absolutely no doubt, and I mean NO DOUBTS, that Celtic have got a firm hold of the media (or the majority of them) behind the scenes and are basically using them at their will for PR, and in that regards, if we're very honest with ourselves,they can only benefit from.

I'm almost entirely sure that Celtic have give the instruction to drive Morelos out of this country by any means necessary. I know that sounds like whacky talk, but those who know how the real world works knows that this is a dirty underhanded trick that is fully feasible.

So I ask - what can we do more intelligently to either equal the balance or certainly reduce it's negative effect on our club?
my friend you make quite a good point!personally I have not bought or read a paper for about 10/12years now after having a set to with the Glasgow herald and their love for the bhoys!freedom of speech enters into this equation also! but there comes a time especially in this era where papers and journalists (use the term loosely)do not do not write truthful stories and when it borders on an actual attempt at racially abusing one of our players in an article, then you have to say the gloves are off!I would follow liverpools lead and boot them out the door,someone posted on another post just imagine we banned them and we went on to win the league title,and liverpool the premier league that scumbag of a paper,would be banned from the Scottish and English champions grounds in the same season,surely then someone would notice and ask why !it still wouldn't stop f..ing idiots buying it
Personally would t wipe my arse with it!

Think of it as your neighbour has pumped your wife and is bad mouthing you in the process.

Do you
  • ban the neighbour from the house
  • let it continue
Letting it continue is the worst option so you must act by doing something about it.

What do we gain from giving them access exactly?

Is that not what Neville Chamberlain said about Hitler in 1938?
Appeasement never works. So what harm has it done to Liverpool?

It might not make a massive deal but it does hinder them from doing their job. All the information is then second hand and it's not good to be the media outlet getting everything second hand. They can't just keep printing lies and abuse our players which they are doing on a regular basis.

I would rather the club just spoke out about them and attacked them on a regular basis. Left them afraid to print the rubbish they do about Rangers and our and plays and staff.

Telling them they just aren't welcome publicly does send a message though.

The sun would be more bothered if Rangers fans stopped buying it or clicking on their links than they would be by a ban from Ibrox, some of those mentally challenged bastards would see it as a badge of honour.

It sends a message to other media outlets that we aren’t going to take unfair and biased reporting anymore.

The sun would be more bothered if Rangers fans stopped buying it or clicking on their links than they would be by a ban from Ibrox, some of those mentally challenged bastards would see it as a badge of honour.
Let them!
Some of our supporters still take personal offence to anyone daring to criticise this board so maybe if they actually came out and banned this comic those who follow on blindly would take notice and stop buying it or clicking their links.

Last edited:
Gerry McNee once wrote a shitty article about my uncle, who worked at the front door of Ibrox, as my uncle done his job and prevented McNee going somewhere he shouldnt. My uncle couldnt believe it and although he brushed it of it still rankled him. He wasnt named directly but everyone knew who the article was aimed at.

God knows how a foreign player must feel seeing never ending nasty comments daily in the media, It must have a bearing and is something we need to start tackling head on,

The only way The Sun would stop printing negative articles about us and our players is if we were all to start buying their paper and that's never going to happen.

Newspapers print what they know their readers will buy, Celtic fans buy their paper so they print the sort of stuff they want to read to keep them buying it every day.

Ban them from Ibrox, boycott them and ignore their articles. Their paper isn't for us so I can't get too upset when I see the shite they put out as they are just pandering to their demographic.

To me this only serves to highlight the fact there are STILL people out there who believe things will improve. News flash.....they won't! Not now not ever. Not that is unless these rags stop employing rampant poets with NO appitite for journalism or integrity but only to ostracize and damage Rangers in any way possible.

It's actually interesting the op has acknowledged the Morelos campaign but somehow cannot see there can be no bridge building. Not with these people. Their motivation is hatred and jealousy as they've proven again ,and again ,and again. What proper journalist would go out his way to repeatedly attack a player unless it was for the benefit of some other party which it clearly is. This is what's happened to modern journalism in this country so why in god's name would we want any part of that.

We aren't asking for preferential treatment or anything like that, we just want to be reported on fairly like most teams.
Personally i would like an apology to Rangers, Rangers fans and Alfredo Morelos, and the sacking of the "journalist" responsible for a vile article.
By boycotting them and banning them, they will lose revenue.
Hurting them in the pocket is the only way they will listen.

I think they should be sacking their sports editor along with that midden Leckie

it's not going to happen so there is no point having a discussion about it anyway

board is spineless when it comes to PR in most cases
You seem to be suggesting that PR is only about going after newspapers. This spineless line is getting boring on here. File it along side calling Barisic a coward.

it's not going to happen so there is no point having a discussion about it anyway

board is spineless when it comes to PR in most cases

Are they actually spineless, or do they have other reasons for not wading in gung-ho at every perceived slight?

I'm not saying the board are perfect - I'm sure they wouldn't either - but the notion that we shy away from a fight isn't one I really buy.

Those who do are essentially saying that Dave King - because ultimately the buck still stops with him - the guy who fought tooth and nail to wrestle the club back from the spivs and charlatans and who took Ashley on in a square go in the process, is welshing out of a simple PR battle like this.

I don't expect him to wage it directly, but if it's left to Robertson - a guy I've always had reservations about - and he's not prepared to do so, I'd imagine King will be asking why that is, and if he wasn't happy with the answer, given he's paying the guy several hundred thousands of pounds a year, I'd expect him to do something about it.

That he hasn't suggests to me that there's a different approach in place.

It may not be perfect, in fact it may not be working very well at all, but just because they're not rolling up their sleeves and acting on every rush of blood to the supports' head doesn't mean they're just ignoring it.

They should not be banned. No press privileges, they will be revoked. If you want to come to Ibrox, it's as a paying punter.

If they want normality to continue then they should be made to do the following things;

1) Have Bill Leckie write an apology that is then published
2) Have Bill Leckie personally apologize to Alfredo Morelos

I'm normally not one to condone the club having to silence every single little thing that's printed about us, but I am / will be beyond disappointed if the silence from the club continues.

My opinion is that if we're going to do this then we really need an alternative to go to. There's half a dozen papers out there, it's pretty tragic if we cant befriend one or if commercially etc one cant see gains in being Rangers friendly.

And club would be absolutely right to ask fro public apology and retraction on Leckie.

They should be banned and Rangers fans need to stop sharing and clicking on their stories. Sadly neither is ever going to happen.

Had a think about this. Maybe a good way would be say nothing but when anyone from the sun turns up
At our stadium for the braga game refuse them entry

do the same for the next old firm game at Ibrox

they would go ape shit and not have a chance to purchase tickets in advance

Mate, they fucking detest us. Each and every one of us. They hate our very existence and nothing we say or do is going to make them be any fairer on us.

That article SHOULD have been the last straw but the fact Rangers have done nothing since indicates to me we're still not at the races when it comes to standing our corner. No way would they put anything like that out about a scum player.

We SHOULD be banning them, or at least refuse to answer any of their questions at press conferences and make it clear they are not welcome. Whether we do is another matter sadly.

if that article is about Griffiths at Celtic, it's removed within hours with a public apology

why would the board care about banning a newspaper? it's not as if we gain anything from them anyway. All that is needed is for the board/PR (or whoever) to complain that the article was a disgrace, get the apology and that's it

by not saying anything, we open ourselves up to attack, after attack

In times gone by, if one red top had done what the Sun has the other red tops would have attacked them like a pack of Wolves, not now, they all si ng from the one Nationalist, Republican hymn sheet,

Back