Everyone complaining about VAR

Issue with VAR today was angle used for both goals at that end , neither shots used where conclusive even with the lines.

I personally thought both where offside.

The var refs can only use the angles they are given, so maybe they gave strikers the benefit

Thats wrong though, forget the angles of the cameras, they are calibrated to compensate for that.

It’s not big budget VAR but it’s still working

Radio Clyde ( I know), discussed the lines for the potential offsides. They made a very good point that the VAR lines which are provided by a system that costs 100s of thousands of pounds, is much more accurate than the lines on the field cut by the Motherwell groundsman.

I see no reason not to believe that, so that should put an end to the squint lines talk IMO.

Radio Clyde ( I know), discussed the lines for the potential offsides. They made a very good point that the VAR lines which are provided by a system that costs 100s of thousands of pounds, is much more accurate than the lines on the field cut by the Motherwell groundsman.

I see no reason not to believe that, so that should put an end to the squint lines talk IMO.
Exactly what I think, but some have already made their minds up (on both sides) and simply cannot be convinced otherwise.

Are they discussing the handball during Motherwell's 2nd goal? Probably not.

giphy.gif
Great footage , can you not apply for a job doing VAR for the sfa.

The VAR lines for the Motherwell goal remind me of the spitting image sketch of the Belgrano being in the exclusion zone back in the Falklands war .
Good luck anyone under 50 getting that reference
The VAR lines for the Motherwell goal remind me of the spitting image sketch of the Belgrano being in the exclusion zone back in the Falklands war .
Good luck anyone under 50 getting that reference

The fact that even need’s discussed is beyond me

The VAR lines have been wrong before. Remember the Juan Mata offside?

Getting covered in detail now on sky.

He was in line so onside.. Just can't see why this is being debated.

Even with no var, the benefit of doubt goes to the striker
Said exactly the same thing, talking about doing it on the cheap etc.

It got the decisions correct, what’s the issue?

It’s clear it hits his hand for the Motherwell 2nd goal Var should have disallowed that - interesting to hear the reason why it was not.. I’ll await that patiently while not holding my breath.

There's Kettlewell just mentioned "confusion" about the 3rd goal as well.

What are we missing here?
He's confused at Rangers getting a decision and to be honest you can't blame him. That's not supposed to happen. More work to do on intimidating officials or doing away with technology.

The lines suggest otherwise.

Unless you think it was somehow deliberate
On both occasions, I thought the motherwell offside line was askew from the halfway line.
our goal, the offside line was askew from the penalty box line.
my geometry indicated the var Lin should be at right angles to the touch line and be in line with the rearmost part of the last defender.

What I don't get is why they laboured the Sakala offside decision, when the Motherwell goal was actually clearly offisde.
They spent about ten seconds on the Motherwell opener, spread across HT and FT. Spent easily five minutes on the Sakala one. Sky getting beyond parody with their coverage of us.

My recollection, though I‘m not sure it is wholly accurate, is that Slattery had had a couple of fouls between his first yellow and second. I think the commentator said after one that ‘Slattery needs to be careful as he was booked in the first half’. I got the impression at the time that the referee had had enough and issued a second yellow on a ‘that’s enough fouls committed’ basis rather than purely for his arm action on Cantwell.

VAR isn't the problem . It's the cowards and cheats controlling it. Referees are terrified to give us stonewall decisions and are only to quick to give them against us. And quicker to give celtic dodgy decisions even if they do get corrected as shown today. When you have f.referees and linesmen controlling the VAR who have made a career from cheating us and helping our opponents it's a certainty they will struggle to correct their habits. The very fact we are benefitting from VAR tells it's own story and our adversaries can't really accept it. It's that easy.

I know there’s a lot of focus on lines across the pitch for offside judgements but I thought the bigger issue with respect to decisions such as today’s two was the point when the ball was played. In truth with respect to ours I couldn’t express a view but I thought that for the Motherwell goal the ball was yet to be played when the lines were applied. Everyone seems to be concentrating on who is where viz a viz the drawn lines but I’ve yet to hear the point the ball is passed queried.

I have to say I am heartily sick of the TV media complaining about VAR, a system that was introduced entirely because of their repeated highlighting of decisions they highlighted officials got wrong. As I understand it the officials got about 93% correct before VAR and with VAR they aim to get 96% correct. Have to say I think the 93% was a decent percentage if all refereed fairly, which we know doesn’t happen in Liewell controlled Scotland.

Last edited:
thought so as well.
I expected that to be ruled out.... i wouldnt have agreed with it but any handball in the box seemed to be a penalty this season ? no more indirect free kicks in the box this season so far ? .....but now I dunno what the rules are regarding handball anymore....watched dortmund game earlier and what I thought was a penalty going by this seasons rules applied in spl, var check ruled no pen in germany...totally baffled now

We know why it's being debated mate. Their favourites are now suffering more than they would without VAR so something must be wrong.
Truest words written about VAR, it's not in their favour, they can't get the blatant decisions, that they got in the past. So therefore it needs to be stopped . Scottish Football, is not a level playing field, it is being run to favour one club. If it's not finishing seasons early, or moving the shut down two weeks early, to suit a club that have a lot injured players. They will use every trick in the book, and some that haven't even been writen yet, to gain any advantage they can.

My recollection, though I‘m not sure it is wholly accurate, is that Slattery had had a couple of fouls between his first yellow and second. I think the commentator said after one that ‘Slattery needs to be careful as he was booked in the first half’. I got the impression at the time that the referee had had enough and issued a second yellow on a ‘that’s enough fouls committed’ basis rather than purely for his arm action on Cantwell.
Now that we have an army of officials for each game let’s level the playing field
Yellow card automatically issued for 4 fouls.The ref can issue one earlier depending on the severity of the offence
Red card After a yellow 3 more fouls then a red card is issued, again ref can issue earlier as appropriate.
Might help to address the anomaly of the scum getting a yellow card issued after every 12 fouls as opposed to every 6 for virtually everybody else in the division

VAR cant get involved in second yellows and for me I dont think hivs player or motherwell players were a second yellow but both there first bookings were naughty
We would be raging if one of our players has got a second yellow for that today
I'm glad VAR allowed both tight onside goals their second goal I cant 100 percent say who's arms it hit
As for the ratio of cards to fouls I dont agree with it not every foul is a.yellow my gripe today was hanlon and Marshall at both non penalties booked but Starfelt no yellow
The Abada toe stub dont think a.yellow either hes not looking for a penalty and it's not a.dive unlike his ridiculous dive against us in LCF

VAR cant get involved in second yellows and for me I dont think hivs player or motherwell players were a second yellow but both there first bookings were naughty
I'm glad VAR allowed both tight onside goals their second goal I cant 100 percent say who's arms it hit
As for the ratio of cards to fouls I dont agree with it not every foul is a.yellow my gripe today was hanlon and Marshall at both non penalties booked but Starfelt no yellow
The Abada toe stub dont think a.yellow either hes not looking for a penalty and it's not a.dive unlike his ridiculous dive against us in LCF
I don’t think the Hibs player touched him for the first yellow, l watched the game up to the sending off. The Celtic player went down as if he had been shot and the referee reacts to that.

The lines suggest otherwise.

Unless you think it was somehow deliberate
The lnes were wrong, they werent square with the pitch. I was looking at the grass lines and they are perfect on the half way line and 18 yard box so if they are that far out i’d be amazed.

Both offside calls were wrong as they drew the lines wrong.
86-FEFA01-3-FF2-47-AF-9152-8-F4503-B24738.jpg

Thats only true if the cameras are in better position, we have a mickey mouse system that doesnt have enough cameras at most grounds

So hibs got a yellow for the exact same kind of penalty as Celtic but Celtics didnt merit a yellow and you can justify that how exactly?

The lines for their goal and our goal look wonky comparing them to the lines on the pitch but I presume it is the camera angle that is causing it.

Funny how they only mentioned the lines for our goal though.
How do you know lines on pitch weren’t wonky a groundsman isn’t going to cut the lines absolute perfect is he

The lnes were wrong, they werent square with the pitch. I was looking at the grass lines and they are perfect on the half way line and 18 yard box so if they are that far out i’d be amazed.

Both offside calls were wrong as they drew the lines wrong.
86-FEFA01-3-FF2-47-AF-9152-8-F4503-B24738.jpg
You seriously don’t think they draw the lines to go with lines cut on the pitch ?

Back