Evolving higher european expectations, what's next for Rangers?

Scotty_boy90

What a transformation in our club we have had since Gerrard came in as manager.

Our club has been transformed on and off the pitch. Each year our attitude has changed and expectations have grown. I remember being delighted watching us progress v ufa to reach the group stages of the Europa league having also beaten osijek and maribor. Just qualifying was brilliant and I genuinely didnt think we would make it that season. Ended up very disappointed we didn't qualify from the group having felt we threw away silly points.

In Gerrard's second season as gaffer much of the discussion again was how difficult it would be to qualify. Many of us felt we were fortunate the season before and tricky ties v midtjylland and legia Warsaw were successfully negotiated. Scoring the late winner v Warsaw at Ibrox was a real high and I felt genuinely delighted again to qualify. Qualification from the group achieved with excellent victories over Porto and Feyenoord as well as draws away from home to these opponents really cementing the fact we didn't look out of place mixing it with these teams. Obviously qualification through past braga and then onto leverkusen was excellent.

Last season is more fresh in the memory but scudding Willem away was a great result and having has such good results in previous seasons in Europe I expected to overturn Galatasaray at Ibrox and qualify for the group stages.

This season we have started slowly and were all very disappointed with the Malmo result based on the fact we have beaten a lot better sides than Malmo over two legs in previous years.

If we can get our mojo back which I am confident we will do under Gerrard when the team is more settled what do you think we should be aiming for this year ahead of the draw for the group stages? For me, we should be expecting a run to knockout rounds as a minimum and I would hope to qualify for the quarter finals. That would be very good run given the opposition in this tournament.

It’s a group that we should be aiming to progress from, although the bigger objective is the title and the CL group spot.

Completely agree. I think a lot of our euro performances have given the squad confidence domestically too so hopefully we have a good run at both.

EL is our level in these days of super rich clubs dominating European football. We can do far better in it than we'd do in the CL. I'm not overly disappointed to miss out on the CL knowing well have a good crack at getting through this group and doing as well as we did last season, or better.

We have seen year on year improvement . That improvement should have seen us in the CL groups .

we have to make the last 16 again , anything less will be a disappointment .

It’s a group that we should be aiming to progress from, although the bigger objective is the title and the CL group spot.
All day long. We needed to qualify for the £££ and coefficient but not too bothered how far we go but obviously would be delighted to qualify for last 16 again.

The league has the highest priority from now on in.

Back