Ex Celtc player Edvaldsson has died

Big Shuggy used to run about Waves nightclub in Glasgow mid 1970s with a cousin of mine. Met him a couple of times, decent man. May he rest in peace

RIP. Funnily enough he used to really annoy me, not because he wasn't a nice bloke, but mainly due to the fact that every bunch of panini stickers I bought seemed to contain him. I must have had about 50 of him when I really wanted Dalglish.

I was there. Crowd went mental during half time break, erupted with all the tunes. Sure wee Doddie inspired it. Brilliant day.
I might be wrong here but this might’ve been the day the well told “no surrender’ boss” story originates from.
Legend is that our dressing room was a funeral parlour at half time that day before Wallace said to MacDonald “What was the cry, Doddie?”
Macdonald replied rather quietly “no surrender, boss”.
Wallace repeated the question.
MacDonald repeated the answer a wee bit louder.
Wallace asked again.
MacDonald repeated the answer a few decibels higher.
A couple more times and the dressing room was bouncing.
Celtic didn’t know what hit them.
As I mentioned, this might all be a myth but, it’s how I was told the story.

I might be wrong here but this might’ve been the day the well told “no surrender’ boss” story originates from.
Legend is that our dressing room was a funeral parlour at half time that day before Wallace said to MacDonald “What was the cry, Doddie?”
Wallace asked again.
I remember it like yesterday. Copland went tonto during break. Going to win this. And we did.

Wallace asked again.
That's good enough for me Tazza :)

I take it you work in the whisky industry like myself , I also know his daughter , a really nice girl and my deepest condolences to her family
Yes, we are a supplier to her company and have worked on some projects with her and you are correct that she is a lovely person with a great personality. Thoughts are also with her family.

He marked big DJ out of the game in the 77 Scottish Cup Final if memory serves. He was a good player.

R.I.P.

He scored last min equaliser in LC final at hampden, Gotdon Smith scored the winner for us into their end 3 mins from end of extra time after latchfird made an erse of a cross , wee Alex caused him to drop it - magic

Back in the day when Rangers played away from home,sitting in the pub when they closed at 14.30, a few of my pals decided they would try and get on the local sellic bus, and i went along, anyway Big Shuggie was having a nightmare,the fans shouting the usual,get him aff, then up he jumps boom header in the back of the net. And then they all started chanting Shuggie, Shuggie, find it strange how this stuck in my head.
R,I,P Shuggie.

Btw my dad knew him well and tells a stories of when Celtic would go away to europe for friendlies or european trips, he said McNeil n most of the first team would go sight seeing and go looking for a chapel etc Big Johannes and Johnston would go to the pubs as he said “och leave the catholics to do what they do cmon we will get a beer pal”
i am not old enough to remember those players but i’m sure he mentioned a goal keeper would be with them.

He scored two in the first half against ussecond half Bobby McKean ran Danny mcgrain ragged and we won 3-2
Game wasn't televised in any form
1978?

Stayed in Linwood most recently. Nice family. Condolences go out to them all.

I am getting Old, Remember him a a big Strong hard working player, Played in Scotland when having a foreign player in your team was relatively rare.

Up until the first lockdown he was often at boys club games, think his grandson/great grandson? Played for Celtic boys club ( now St Patrick’s), always a pleasant big guy to chat to, sorry to hear this news, condolences to his family.

I

Commonly known as Shuggie. Played in late 70’s IIRC. Think he scored against us in a cup final. I was but a bairn so memory may be a bit shaky.
Scored late equaliser in normal time to take game to extra time. Gordon Smith scored winner late on.

RIP I remember him scoring 2 at Ibrox in my first game as a Ballboy, we won 3-2
That was my first game v them at Ibrox. They weren't really in the game and somehow managed to go 2 up by half time. Wasn't televised due to some industrial dispute.

Always came across as a big decent guy, another one from the time I started going to matches gone. RIP.

Back