Ex Celtic Player Served Secret 6 Week Drug Suspension

Jan Žižka

You know if he had played for us what the headline would be...

Daryl Murphy has revealed that he served a secret six-week FA suspension for taking cocaine on a night out last season.

The 36-year-old striker, who enjoyed stints at both Newcastle United and Sunderland as well as Ipswich Town, Celtic, Nottingham Forest, told The Athletic that he was ‘not proud’ of his actions.

Murphy’s suspension took place while at Forest and was kept secret due to the FA’s policy not to name players who have failed drugs tests.

The Irishman made over 100 appearances for Sunderland between 2005 and 2010 before going on to become something of a cult-hero during his season on Tyneside as he netted six times in 18 appearances to help the Magpies to the Championship title in 2017.

And in a statement released by The Athletic, Murphy said: “Firstly, I would like to stress that the taking of recreational drugs is something that I don’t condone whatsoever.

“I served a suspension at the beginning of last season for making a bad decision while on a night out.
“This was an isolated incident which happened out of competition when we had no game. I immediately regretted it.
“I am not proud of what I did but it’s something I have put behind me as I want to concentrate on my football career.”

Murphy has since left Forest and now plays in League One for bottom side Bolton Wanderers. The forward has netted five times in 10 appearances for the Trotters who are currently trying to avoid a second successive relegation following a point deduction.

I am obviously getting old but since when has cocaine been considered recreational?

Look at the queues to get into cubicles the next time you're on a night out, especially amongst younger folk. It's readily available, cheap, and is used by at least 50% of 18-30 year olds. I'm actually probably underestimating the amount of people on it in that age range.

Even amongst older folk, there's a lot of folk on it. Scotland has one of the highest amount of cocaine users in the world

Look at the queues to get into cubicles the next time you're on a night out, especially amongst younger folk. It's readily available, cheap, and is used by at least 50% of 18-30 year olds. I'm actually probably underestimating the amount of people on it in that age range.

Even amongst older folk, there's a lot of folk on it. Scotland has one of the highest amount of cocaine users in the world
That is scary

Reactions: VGM
Seems strange to be kept a secret. Remember how public Rio Ferdinands case was.
On the back of the Russian ban, would a player be given an advantage if under the influence of drugs while on the park?

Was there not a player who played for one of the Manchester teams who was also banned for a similar like incident ....

Yup I went to Braehead to watch a bloody ice hockey game and there were guys doing lines in the toilet. It’s an absolute epidemic.

Must be a high percentage of footballers taking the stuff. He’s just been unlucky / stupid to get caught.
It will be the drug of choice for a lot of footballers, as it's flushed out of your system in a couple of days so easier to get away with.

Plus they've got to spend their cash on something.

I honestly wish I could show them a video of my brother in law, what he’s become due to cocaine abuse and see how they feel about taking that shit then.
He’s lost everything and will probably lose his life soon. He was once very successful (partner at a large banking firm, massive house in London, beautiful wife and child, holiday chalet in Switzerland)

He’s now in rehab for the fourth time, homeless, penniless and divorced, not allowed to see his kid. Not a pot to piss in.

Murphy has a lot to answer for in playing this down saying it’s recreational. The truth is, it costs lives. He’s a fuc*ing moron and it’s scary how many kids are getting involved with this.

Cocaine, eh the drug of choice for all the young ones.

Drinking booze then using the coke to soaber you up whilst increasing your resting heart rate.

Nothing can go wrong surely?

There's next to no drug testing in Scottish football. Cocaine use is rumoured to be pretty rife.

Also, I've been of the opinion for years that players are given suspensions for this that we never find out about. The amount of "hernia operations" over the years just feels like a code for something else.

There's next to no drug testing in Scottish football. Cocaine use is rumoured to be pretty rife.

Also, I've been of the opinion for years that players are given suspensions for this that we never find out about. The amount of "hernia operations" over the years just feels like a code for something else.
Wasn't the rumour that Boyd had the same when he was with us (1st time)? Not cocaine but weed I'm sure.

Given the way things are in Scotland wouldn't surprise me if a good few of them are hammering the gear.

I'd be far more worried about performancing enhancing drugs, especially in Scottish football where there's little to no testing for them. Must be a massive temptation for players if they can train harder and recover faster with no risk of being caught.

I honestly wish I could show them a video of my brother in law, what he’s become due to cocaine abuse and see how they feel about taking that shit then.
He’s lost everything and will probably lose his life soon. He was once very successful (partner at a large banking firm, massive house in London, beautiful wife and child, holiday chalet in Switzerland)

He’s now in rehab for the fourth time, homeless, penniless and divorced, not allowed to see his kid. Not a pot to piss in.

Murphy has a lot to answer for in playing this down saying it’s recreational. The truth is, it costs lives. He’s a fuc*ing moron and it’s scary how many kids are getting involved with this.

Over indulgence of anything can ruin your life in this way.
Are guys who say having a pint after work is recreational morons because some drinkers end up ruining their lives as jakeballs?

Users don't realise the damage Cocaine causes in this country and in others. It is a very, very big money maker for some very, very nasty people. The Albanians are neck deep in it along with their lucrative and intertwined people smuggling/prostitution "business". But hey, as long as you can shove coke cut with f.uck knows what up your nose to enhance your natural arseholeishness on a night out who cares if you're helping to fund criminals enslave and sell vulnerable people?

It is a class A substance and people caught with it are often dealt with extremely leniently. They wouldn't be if it was smack they were caught with.

Are guys who say having a pint after work is recreational morons because some drinkers end up ruining their lives as jakeballs?

wouldnt say so , but im sorrounded by people who do it and they seem to keep their act together, im not saying that will not cause problems in the future but if you do it once every now and then with a few pints i doubt its a big deal. there are folk who smoke 40 a day every day.

The decision to take Cocaine doesn't bother me in and of itself. I am in favour of legalising most recreational drugs and letting people make their own choices. The problem I have is that purchasing Cocaine creates demand for a product which causes much worse results for people other than the user as it directly funds dangerous criminals.

Seems strange to be kept a secret. Remember how public Rio Ferdinands case was.
On the back of the Russian ban, would a player be given an advantage if under the influence of drugs while on the park?
Hardly performance enhancing , you would have your striker MWI up talking shite to the opposition keeper :D

No way is it. As a 29yo I know hundreds in that age bracket and I could maybe name one who does coke.

Maybe it's a cultural divide thing, as I am in England.
Na mate , go to Liverpool for a night out :D Probably worst city in UK for it .Wild , I was in the brewers fayre at Aintree and guys battering the the gear in toilets off there hands and 2pm on a sat afternoon .

No way is it. As a 29yo I know hundreds in that age bracket and I could maybe name one who does coke.
I’m 30 and agree with the other guy here it’s easily 50% if not more of people in that range. Maybe you just aren’t close friends with all them and they keep it quiet.

Maybe it's a cultural divide thing, as I am in England.

It will be. I was referring to Scotland, it is nowhere near as endemic in England.

I'm not exaggerating, there's a majority of Scottish 18-30 year olds have at least tried coke.

Back