Ex-Rangers and Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell has told Queen’s Park he’s set to retire

mdingwall

Administrator

Ex-Rangers and Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell has told Queen’s Park he’s set to RETIRE​

• Gareth Law
CAMMY BELL has told Queen’s Park he’s set to retire from football.

SunSport understands the former Rangers No1 is set to hang up his gloves.

Cammy Bell is set to hang up his gloves and retire from Queen's Park

Cammy Bell is set to hang up his gloves and retire from Queen's ParkCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
It’s thought Bell, 34, informed boss Ray McKinnon of his desire to stop playing on Monday and trained for the last time.

Bell hasn’t managed a first team game since joining the Spiders in February.

He has been troubled by injuries and saw Willie Muir hold onto his place when he regained fitness.

Bell – who won a Scotland cap in 2010 - started his career at Kilmarnock after coming through the ranks at Rugby Park.

Ally McCoist took him to Ibrox in 2013 and he won the League One title in his first season.

Bell during his Rangers days

Bell during his Rangers days Credit: Keith Campbell - The Sun Glasgow
He was axed when Mark Warburton took over and left for Dundee United – where McKinnon was in charge – in 2016.

Bell then had brief spells back at Killie, Hibs and Partick Thistle before McKinnon signed him again for Falkirk last year.

He would play what will be his last competitive match with the Bairns – a 1-0 home defeat to Clyde last October – before following McKinnon to Lesser Hampden.

The former England international joined the Light Blues on loan last season before committing his future to the club earlier this year.

The 38-year-old showed he's still got it was an exquisite finish in the 4-0 Betfred Cup win over Falkirk on Sunday.

Playing a bit part role for Steven Gerrard's men so far this season, Defoe revealed the hard work and sacrifices that go in to ensure he is ready at every opportunity.

And the deal he agreed in the summer to extend his stay in Govan came as a blow to Sky, who had hoped to tap into his knowledge of the game to snap him up as a pundit.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news and transfers at the Scottish Sun football page

Rangers launch 2020 Christmas ad as they urge fans to ‘follow your dreams’

Good luck to the guy,like many others he came to us whilst we on our "journey" and helped us out,whether good or bad and should be thanked for doing so.
We went through many players on our road to recovery and despite some of their qualities we needed them through these times.
Now we are in a better place these times are a reminder of how far we've come.

And there was wailing and gnashing of teeth across the land, particularly from those who remember that game at Fir Park..

Sadly my main memory of Cammy Bell will be of him flapping his hands a foot away from the ball as it went in the net in that Motherwell game.

Other than that he was a decent enough keeper to be fair, so all the best to him.

I was happy enough when we signed him ( based on remembering his performance when killie had beaten the Tims in a cup final a year or 2 earlier and he was superb )

But he certainly never reached any great hights for us . Either injured or THAT Motherwell watch is how I remember him

I was happy enough when we signed him ( based on remembering his performance when killie had beaten the Tims in a cup final a year or 2 earlier and he was superb )

But he certainly never reached any great hights for us . Either injured or THAT Motherwell watch is how I remember him
Certainly. He was highly rated and I'm sure had been capped for Scotland before signing with us. Was linked with a move as well when Walter was manager. Sad it never worked out for him.

Really feel for him tbh. Couldn't imagine what it would feel like to grow up a Rangers fan, sign for the club you support and be remembered for something like the Motherwell play off.

Certainly. He was highly rated and I'm sure had been capped for Scotland before signing with us. Was linked with a move as well when Walter was manager. Sad it never worked out for him.

Really feel for him tbh. Couldn't imagine what it would feel like to grow up a Rangers fan, sign for the club you support and be remembered for something like the Motherwell play off.
He is a Kilmarnock fan. Used to give hospitality tickets at Ibrox to a few of his Celtic supporting mates.

Unpopular opinion but to this day I don’t think he tried particularly hard to reach Lafferty’s lob in 2011.

Hands like butter. Dont remember him having a stand out game for us. Can't believe we let Alexander go for him. Good luck to him though in his retirement.

I thought he was better than he was, I thought he'd be good enough for where we needed to get. In a long list of players who won't be looked on favourably but come May they will all have played a part in getting us back. Even the negative steps lead us to where we are right now.
He was Simonsen levels of awful though

Will always be remembered for the fir park incident but was a wee bit better than Simonsen or Robinson :eek:

Obviously he is remembered for that horror show at Fir Park, which is quite sad.
He was a decent keeper for a mid-table SPL level team when we got him and was an improvement on the likes of Simonsen.

That game looks like it destroyed his confidence. Still young for a keeper when he left here and he only seems to have scrapped around in the lower leagues

He was on Radio Scotland last night - saying he didn't want to train in pain and recover in pain.

Said he was very proud to play for the club he supported - Rangers.

Did he ever play after Fir Park? I know he stayed for Warburton in the championship but can only ever recalling Wes playing.

Back