Ex-Rangers boss McLeish reckons there’s been over-reaction to Ibrox Covid five breaking rules

BlueMeanie

ALEX McLEISH reckons there’s been a massive over-reaction to Rangers players breaching Covid rules.
The former Ibrox boss says it’s not right that some are calling for careers to be ended after five went to a party two weeks ago, including Bongani Zungu, Calvin Bassey and Nathan Patterson.
Former Rangers boss Alex McLeish

McLeish is speaking out after Patterson was dramatically brought out of the doghouse on Thursday night and helped shoot the Light Blues to the last 16 of the Europa League.
The teenage full back scored 16 seconds into the second half to put Rangers back in control of the remarkable 9-5 aggregate win over Royal Antwerp.
McLeish, talking to Ten10 podcasts, said: “Yes the lads did make mistakes but we’re in a worldwide crisis that no-one could imagine.
“Young people will do the wrong thing on occasion and I think it’s wrong to chastise them to the point where they’re going to lose their job.
Nathan Patterson celebrates after scoring for Rangers

“Rangers have handled it well. We don’t know exactly what’s gone on, but the players have been punished and they’ll accept that.
“I don’t think people should get in a pickle about it and make it bigger than it really is. They are young people who made a mistake.
“Patterson looks like a player in the making and it was good he was given his chance.
“Nathan looks like he has the potential to go all the way – and he will make other mistakes along the way, perhaps off the park too.”

McLeish, who led Rangers to the last 16 of the Champions League in 2006, reckons Steven Gerrard could make the last eight of the Europa but knows Slavia Prague must respected.
He said: “You just have to look at the result against Leicester.
"They are one of the strong teams in the Premier League and for them to stuff them on their own patch was very surprising, but it shows their quality

“In saying that Rangers have handled everything that’s been thrown at them so far.
"If Slavia Prague are the best team left in the tournament I’d be surprised.
“I think they’ll approach it with the same diligence as Thursday night – although it was like a five-a-side match with two teams going at it hammer and tongs.
“Rangers don’t have a game between the legs so that could be an advantage because players do tend to pick up knocks.”

I would just like someone, and I’m not saying it should have been Alex, to say that nothing should be coming our players way from the SFA until the Dubai 40 odd are dealt with after their protocol infractions that were admitted to by their now interim manager, to say nothing of the referee/assistant referees departure from protocols caused by the SFA themselves.

I wonder if Newcastle have sacked Joelinton for going to a barbers or Aubameyang going for a tattoo or Grealish for crashing his car twice and one of the times drink driving after breaking lockdown to get pissed up at a mates?
Still waiting on the EFA to issue bans also, same as we're still waiting on the Aberdeen x8/Bolingoli/Dubai trip to be hit with bans
Just Jones and Edmundson who have been sanctioned.

Overreacting you say? I'm with you Eck, welcome back to the fold boys and let's drive it right up everyone towards 55 and beyond

I think the problem would have been if the 5 had entered training on the monday we would then have been unable to field a team against antwerp and i presume had to forfeit the tie which would have cost us millions,also has this been going on all season as its a big coincidence and hard to believe that the 2 times its happened we have been caught

Aubameyang allegedly broke Covid protocols by getting a tatoo. No calls for his Arsenal career to come to an end.

Foden and Greenwood broke Covid protocols and were sent home from the English national team camp. No calls for their respective club careers to come to an end.

Jack Grealish and Ross Barkley broke Covid protocols. No calls for their Aston Villa careers to come to an end.

Erik Lamela, Sergio Reguilon and Giovani Lo Celso of Tottenham, as well as West Ham's Manuel Lanzini broke Covid protocols. No calls for their respective careers to come to an end.

There have been other breaches reported including Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy who staged a party on New Year’s Eve, Crystal Palace midfielder Luka Milivojevic and Fulham’s Aleksandar Mitrovic. Again, no calls for their respective careers to come to an end.

Our lads were incredibly foolish and deserved to be be scolded but it ends there. Zungu aside, they are our clubs assets and the opinions of other clubs fans or the SMSM are irrelevant to me.

ALEX McLEISH reckons there’s been a massive over-reaction to Rangers players breaching Covid rules.
The former Ibrox boss says it’s not right that some are calling for careers to be ended after five went to a party two weeks ago, including Bongani Zungu, Calvin Bassey and Nathan Patterson.
Former Rangers boss Alex McLeish

McLeish is speaking out after Patterson was dramatically brought out of the doghouse on Thursday night and helped shoot the Light Blues to the last 16 of the Europa League.
The teenage full back scored 16 seconds into the second half to put Rangers back in control of the remarkable 9-5 aggregate win over Royal Antwerp.
McLeish, talking to Ten10 podcasts, said: “Yes the lads did make mistakes but we’re in a worldwide crisis that no-one could imagine.
“Young people will do the wrong thing on occasion and I think it’s wrong to chastise them to the point where they’re going to lose their job.
Nathan Patterson celebrates after scoring for Rangers

“Rangers have handled it well. We don’t know exactly what’s gone on, but the players have been punished and they’ll accept that.
“I don’t think people should get in a pickle about it and make it bigger than it really is. They are young people who made a mistake.
“Patterson looks like a player in the making and it was good he was given his chance.
“Nathan looks like he has the potential to go all the way – and he will make other mistakes along the way, perhaps off the park too.”

McLeish, who led Rangers to the last 16 of the Champions League in 2006, reckons Steven Gerrard could make the last eight of the Europa but knows Slavia Prague must respected.
He said: “You just have to look at the result against Leicester.
"They are one of the strong teams in the Premier League and for them to stuff them on their own patch was very surprising, but it shows their quality

“In saying that Rangers have handled everything that’s been thrown at them so far.
"If Slavia Prague are the best team left in the tournament I’d be surprised.
“I think they’ll approach it with the same diligence as Thursday night – although it was like a five-a-side match with two teams going at it hammer and tongs.
“Rangers don’t have a game between the legs so that could be an advantage because players do tend to pick up knocks.”
Good lad is Eck.

I think the problem would have been if the 5 had entered training on the monday we would then have been unable to field a team against antwerp and i presume had to forfeit the tie which would have cost us millions,also has this been going on all season as its a big coincidence and hard to believe that the 2 times its happened we have been caught

Id imagine its been happening at most clubs during the pandemic.

Aubameyang allegedly broke Covid protocols by getting a tatoo. No calls for his Arsenal career to come to an end.

Foden and Greenwood broke Covid protocols and were sent home from the English national team camp. No calls for their respective club careers to come to an end.

Jack Grealish and Ross Barkley broke Covid protocols. No calls for their Aston Villa careers to come to an end.

Erik Lamela, Sergio Reguilon and Giovani Lo Celso of Tottenham, as well as West Ham's Manuel Lanzini broke Covid protocols. No calls for their respective careers to come to an end.

There have been other breaches reported including Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy who staged a party on New Year’s Eve, Crystal Palace midfielder Luka Milivojevic and Fulham’s Aleksandar Mitrovic. Again, no calls for their respective careers to come to an end.

Our lads were incredibly foolish and deserved to be be scolded but it ends there. Zungu aside, they are our clubs assets and the opinions of other clubs fans or the SMSM are irrelevant to me.
49 mentally challengeds went to dubai..

There were people on here organising a firing squad seconds after the news broke

This is pish. It didn’t happen. We know what happened there is no need to make up wee stories. They done their crime not a what if and have been punished for it.

Great to see some balance in the media for a change.

Total over reaction! 5 young guys meeting up to watch the boxing. If they hadn't ordered a takeaway no one would have been any the wiser. Some people need to get a grip, it's a flu virus not the bubonic plague!

He is right.

Folk on here especially. Some winding in of the necks I should imagine.
Well from what I’ve seen the posters who embarrassed themselves are either eating humble pie, still putting a negative slant on it or are point blank refusing to enter these threads :))

If my auntie had baws.

Yes it probably has, all over the country.

When this was put to the FF Executioners their reply was that those players were worth more to their team, or some other bollocks.

Good to see at least some of us have began to see sense compared with the hysterical reaction on here right after it happened. How can we complain about treatment towards us from authorities when you read some of that BS our own fans were calling for?

We are allowed to be raging at them but wanting to end careers? Really? Yes one is older and really should know better but the others are young daft lads. Did anyone on here not make mistakes when they were younger? It's how you learn from those mistakes that is important. I think Gerrard will make sure of that!

Eck is absolutely spot on here

Well said Eck. The utter hypocrisy up here gets laid bare when no mhedia poodle so much as asks the question where is the punishments for the club with the most and by far the worst instances of protocol breaches in the world of football, celtc*. Instead they make that mobs excuses for them by turning it into 'they had permission to travel' displaying their world famous knack for deflection.

He's spot on from a them and us and a press perspective! Think we've handled it about right! Just have to wait on the big bad SFA now, that punishment will arrive by noon on Wednesday if that lot win at Aberdeen today to keep their hopes alive

I would just like someone, and I’m not saying it should have been Alex, to say that nothing should be coming our players way from the SFA until the Dubai 40 odd are dealt with after their protocol infractions that were admitted to by their now interim manager, to say nothing of the referee/assistant referees departure from protocols caused by the SFA themselves.
Again, if Jordan Campbell is such a big Rangers man why can't he put this startlingly obvious point in one of his articles?

There were people on here organising a firing squad seconds after the news broke
"Er ma god, they've put the league title in jeopardy, dont they know what this means to the fans"

It was panty wetting hyperbolic nonsense of the highest proportions. Thats why they were demanding reaper cushions of an insane order.

Last edited:
Back