Ex-Rangers man Andy Gray says Celtic shouldn't be handed league as title race is 'too close to call'

Can’t argue with any of that. It’s like he sees what everyone else does that isn’t a Thames barrier.

It is unlikely that Celtic would have conceded the title the way things well. However, there are just too many scenarios where it could end up very, very tight. Therefore there is just no way it was cut and dried enough to just hand it to them.

As I've said before. Rangers should consider legal action if there is any chance of the league being handed to them. Even if the board really, really don't want to get involved with a legal case they need to. It's just too easy for the SFA and SPFL to appease their masters though isn't it?

It's understood SPFL and SFA chiefs are NOT interested in voiding the season and would prefer to ratify final positions in all four divisions as they stand.

Where is it that every media outlet is getting this “understanding” from.

I’ve not seen anything official from the SPFL or the SFA on their preference.

Gray is talking crap, the race is not close at all. If Celtic win the 1st game back which should be OF game, then they are as good as uncatchable.

However if Rangers were to win the 1st OF game, as well as our game in hand, then the gap is cut to only 7 pts and possibilty of a shock might be on the cards.

To have any chance we would also have to win 2nd OF game at Piggery but the scheduling of that game could make in meaningless. It would have to be no later than the 1st or 2nd game after the split, any later, say 4th or 5th game, Scum could have already secured the title before game played.

All of the points you make are valid. The SPFL have always tried plan post split fixtures to avoid title deciders being possible between us and them. It would be a gamble, probably a minor one, to make the last OF game late in the split.
No matter what, the title cannot be handed over when arithmetically it is not over.

Make no mistake, this septic team are fckn shite,,they can collapse just as easily as we did after the break.. NOTHING is over till its over..
Yep, their 1st and 2nd choice goalkeepers will be out of contract by then as well. What are the rules with that?

Are any other countries discussing handing out titles with such 'passion'?

Someone needs to tell Scottish football to get over itself.

It’s irrelevant if the current gap is zero points or 10. Mathematically the title hasn't been won so it can’t be awarded

Consider it this way, Rangers win at Ibrox cutting the gap to 10, Celtic then draw at the Hobos allowing Rangers to narrow it to 8 then 5 with the game in hand against St Johnstone. Win at the Piggery after the split and suddenly it's 2 points and arse-clench time. Stranger things...

People were posting optimistic hypothetical like this on a weekly basis after we dropped points.

The Coronavirus shut-down has made many forget that the general consensus on here was that there was no way we'd win every game until the end of the season. Too many in our squad's ars.es flap when put under pressure. They'd wilt on a title run in.

I'm still not prepared to just hand over a title though. It's a clusterf.ck however it works out.

If it calms down over the next 8 weeks, I can see the season being finished behind closed doors and next year's being pushed back or the winter break being scrapped.

Too many £s on the line for too many clubs to null and void it in all 4 Scottish Leagues. Clubs would 100% go under in that scenario (they still might)

Maybe a bit trivial but why mention that Andy is a Rangers fan? It's never mentioned that Hartson, Sutton, Keevins, Provan, English etc etc are Septic fans. Am I reading too much into this selective reporting?
Parallels with describing naughtiness by a Mhank as by a "football supporter" whereas a misdemeanor by one of us is always labelled with "Rangers fan", and sometimes with a further caustic description such as thug / hooligan attached.

Maybe Corona fever's kicking in

Maybe a bit trivial but why mention that Andy is a Rangers fan? It's never mentioned that Hartson, Sutton, Keevins, Provan, English etc etc are Septic fans. Am I reading too much into this selective reporting?
Parallels with describing naughtiness by a Mhank as by a "football supporter" whereas a misdemeanor by one of us is always labelled with "Rangers fan", and sometimes with a further caustic description such as thug / hooligan attached.

Maybe Corona fever's kicking in

I've noticed that as well. Its clear that it is Celtc fans in the media demanding that they are given the title.

People were posting optimistic hypothetical like this on a weekly basis after we dropped points.

The Coronavirus shut-down has made many forget that the general consensus on here was that there was no way we'd win every game until the end of the season. Too many in our squad's ars.es flap when put under pressure. They'd wilt on a title run in.

I'm still not prepared to just hand over a title though. It's a clusterf.ck however it works out.

If it calms down over the next 8 weeks, I can see the season being finished behind closed doors and next year's being pushed back or the winter break being scrapped.

Too many £s on the line for too many clubs to null and void it in all 4 Scottish Leagues. Clubs would 100% go under in that scenario (they still might)
Current form is irrelevant. Dealing in facts is the only way possible.

Rangers CAN catch and overtake Celtc IF we win all our games and they drop points.
Hearts CAN avoid relegation due to the points available.
European and top 6 six places can change from the current due to points available.

Despite "if's" beings used it is entirely possible. 2005 tells us that when they won at Ibrox to go 5 points clear with 4 games left...

Yeah I'm with you man, I was just making the point that whilst it is unlikely Rangers go on a 9 game winning run as long as it's POSSIBLE then no tattie munchers should be handed anything on a plate.

Do I think the current 42 SPFL member clubs will still be around in 6 months? I hope so but common sense says that may not be the case.

Rangers CAN catch and overtake Celtc IF we win all our games and they drop points.
European and top 6 six places can change from the current due to points available.

Despite "if's" beings used it is entirely possible. 2005 tells us that when they won at Ibrox to go 5 points clear with 4 games left...

Spot on. They thought they'd won it before and didn't.

Aye, I'm agreeing with you.

I'm not prepared to sign off on any title til it's mathematically impossible to be caught.

I just don't see how the void the season without it condemning several clubs to their grave.

Whatever happens, it's a can of worms.

Aye, I'm agreeing with you.

I'm not prepared to sign off on any title til it's mathematically impossible to be caught.

I just don't see how the void the season without it condemning several clubs to their grave.

Whatever happens, it's a can of worms.

This coronavirus might even still be here at the end of the 2020, and with no football played by then. We've seen nothing like this before.

It's understood SPFL and SFA chiefs are NOT interested in voiding the season and would prefer to ratify final positions in all four divisions as they stand.

Where is it that every media outlet is getting this “understanding” from.

I’ve not seen anything official from the SPFL or the SFA on their preference.

This is the softening up process before the SPFL issues the inevitable statement.

Would the mentally challengeds or anyone predicted , this points gap at the final whistle on the last OF game , not a fucking chance , N/V

Nice to see someone like Andy speaking sense. We should never give up anything to that disgusting peado harbouring club.
Let's dissolve the SFA as well with this time in hand, and try and get a governing body fit for purpose. Our game is in the gutter and they have their minions pushing an agenda straight from the mouth of Lawless and others from the chamber of secrets.

Last edited:
Sur
Andy only talking sense. In saying that, those stupid points we've recently thrown away has been a gift to the crooks at the SPFL not to void the season. They and they media wouldn't be running with this pro Celtc narrative if the gap had been closer.

Surely the fact our collapse in form recently means it could happen to any team as it has in the past ,and this strengthens any reason not to crown the dirty tricks champions....?

Gray is talking crap, the race is not close at all. If Celtic win the 1st game back which should be OF game, then they are as good as uncatchable.

However if Rangers were to win the 1st OF game, as well as our game in hand, then the gap is cut to only 7 pts and possibilty of a shock might be on the cards.

To have any chance we would also have to win 2nd OF game at Piggery but the scheduling of that game could make in meaningless. It would have to be no later than the 1st or 2nd game after the split, any later, say 4th or 5th game, Scum could have already secured the title before game played.

This is the kind of post you expect from a ref supporter.

"If".

You cannot award a league title, or European places and relegations, on if.

The league title is close"if" we beat them twice and win our game in hand.

At no point was my post advocating handing Scum the title. We either play out all 38 games and whoever is top are rightfully champions OR season is deemed null and void.

Rangers statement last week strongly hinted that they will take legal recourse if Scum are handed title without season being completed. I think every Bear would strongly back that stance.

Nice contradictions.

Methinks that the bear from Barrhead is doing what he wrongly accuses Andy of.

Nice contradictions.

Methinks that the bear from Barrhead is doing what he wrongly accuses Andy of.

In my post I concede immediately that the race is not close at all.

I then look at it from a Rangers fans point of view and the results and game scheduling needed for us to have any change in hell of the slimmest of slim hopes of title success.

I do not harbour any hopes that we will salvage this season. In fact the only chance of it not being a disaster is if the season is deemed null and void. And I do not want the country to go through the suffering for that to be come a reality.

Time we had a few on our side putting the counter argument (though still trivial in the grand scheme of things at the moment.)

ANDY GRAY insists Celtic can't be crowned champions early - because the title race is "too close to call".

Football is at a standstill as the world deals with the ongoing coroanvirus crisis which continues to claim thousands of lives each day.

While Uefa have ambitious plans to conclude the 2019/20 season by the end of June, the date is widely believed to be unrealistic.

That could force governing bodies to make a decision on whether the current campaign should be abandoned.

That would see Celtic, Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers declared title winners.

Yet despite the Hoops topping the Premiership by 13 points with eight games to play, Gray believes the destination of the trophy isn't guaranteed.

Discussing whether leagues should be voided and titles handed out, Liverpool fan Richard Keys told sidekick Gray: "Celtic shouldn't win in Scotland either."

Former Rangers and Scotland striker Gray replied: "No Championship that's unfinished should be declared finished.

"In Scotland, it's even closer [compared to England].

"It's close and it's not close as it might be or should be.

"But it's too close to call still [in regards to handing out the title]."

Good to hear him being outspoken.

It's refreshing when someone isn't scared to be unashamedly on our side.

Back