Ex-Rangers star Mark Walters says he's forgiven Celtic fans for vile racist abuse on debut

Gerry Britton said this about the treatment Mark Walters received.

"As an apprentice professional with Celtic back in January 1988, I was appalled at the hideous racist goading of Rangers’ black winger Mark Walters during his Old Firm debut at Celtic Park. I was even more sickened on the morning after the match when I was told to help clear the Parkhead trackside of the dozens of bananas that had been thrown onto the field by so-called Celtic supporters intent on upsetting the on-field focus of the Ibrox wing wizard."
"As an apprentice professional with Celtic back in January 1988, I was appalled at the hideous racist goading of Rangers’ black winger Mark Walters during his Old Firm debut at Celtic Park. I was even more sickened on the morning after the match when I was told to help clear the Parkhead trackside of the dozens of bananas that had been thrown onto the field by so-called Celtic supporters intent on upsetting the on-field focus of the Ibrox wing wizard."

He put up with a lot up here and just got on with it. Still the player with the best first touch I have seen, kick out from keeper let's it fall between his legs and clip his heel and turned and ran onto it(against Hearts I think it was).
Yep at Tynecastle I was there that day, he was subject to more if not worse abuse that day.
Walters was one of my favourite players back then.

Your the bigger man but it would have been even nicer if they had at least acknowledged what they had done in the first place and asked for your forgiveness Mark. It was and still is Scotland's and Scottish football's day of shame.

He was a Tim Skelper most of his career with us.

Scored regularly against them, including in some big wins. Mark Walter's is a player with goals against Celtic at Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden.

He got them back the best way.

Gerry Britton said this about the treatment Mark Walters received.

They weren’t thrown by so-called Celtic supporters. They were thrown by Celtic supporters.

Mark forgives them
Scottish football journalists pretend it never happened

Sanjeev singh Kholi said it was us

“And he says he has since forgiven the punters who targeted him”

Why does this not say celtic fans instead of punters!

giphy.gif

Get in

Now this is exactly the type of passive aggressive “I forgive them” dredging up of the past I can get behind.

Factual. Concise. Conciliatory. Unambiguous.

But most importantly shines a fucking huge torch on the GFITW and their sham pseudo holier than thou reputation.

During Graeme Souness' tenure as Rangers manager, Mark Walters was our talisman. He was our go to guy. The Davie Cooper, The Brian Laudrup, The Paul Gascoigne, The Jorg Albertz.
We had no better player than Mark Walters during that time.

I don't want to turn this thread away from what it is, but Mark Walters came in and took Davie Cooper's place in our team. That's how good he was. He was a sensational player.

He put up with a lot up here and just got on with it. Still the player with the best first touch I have seen, kick out from keeper let's it fall between his legs and clip his heel and turned and ran onto it(against Hearts I think it was).

Walters got off lightly. At least nobody bounced a lighter off his bonce or drew blood with an Irish groat.

It’s odd that we are able to pick out individual Rangers fans amidst a melee celebrating a late winner yet the tramps are, to this day, still struggling to indentify the lighter thrower.

Last edited:
He doesn't need to make a deal of it but I wouldn't understand forgiving them to be honest.

It does however put it back out there that the Celtic support have been vile racist fuds in the past.

Good player for us during his spell at Ibrox ..

Ex-Rangers star Mark Walters insists he's forgiven Celtic fans for racially abusing him during his time in Glasgow.

Walters made his debut against Gers' fierce rivals in January 1988 and was subjected to vile racism where supporters lobbed bananas onto the pitch and made sickening monkey jibes towards the player.

A dart was even thrown at the winger, an issue he admits did frighten him at the time.

Big-hearted Walters, though, never allowed the torrent of abuse to get him down during his time at Ibrox.
And he says he has since forgiven the punters who targeted him.
Speaking on Football Daft podcast, Walters said: "I've always been brought up to forgive and I know a lot of people verbally abused me that day.
"I've forgiven all those people, I just saw it as one of those things I had to go through.

"Unfortunately it happened a bit in England on a smaller scale.
"I was quite used to going to places like Leeds United, Newcastle, West Ham, Chelsea and getting similar but on a smaller scale.
"As a footballer, you just knew it was one of those things you had to get on with or else you wouldn't be a player.
"A few of my friends weren't prepared to put up with that and done other things but I was adamant I was going to be a professional footballer so knew I had to put up with it."
But surely that never happened,well thats what you would think if you believed the scottish press/medias version of events.:mad:

Back