Ex-Wales Manager Mike Smith Dies

jimcornette

83 years old and he managed the Welsh twice, their first ever non-Welsh coach. Also the only British coach to have won the African Cup of Nations in 1986 with Egypt. Any memories of the man Bears?

I can picture him. I think he managed Wales possibly in the 70's/80's. Another old face from the past has died which is always a bit sad. Condolences to Mike's family.

But for a member of the East German Stasi, he could have achieved so much more in management.

Always came across as the archetypal English gent. RIP.

I liked the bloke, particularly when he cemented a journalist who asked: “when are you going to resign?”

RIP Mr Smith.

But for a member of the East German Stasi, he could have achieved so much more in management.

Always came across as the archetypal English gent. RIP.
1976 Euro quarter final. Lost the 1st leg 2-0 away. 2nd leg at Ninian Park. Drew 0-0, getting absolutely nothing from Herr Glockner (apologies for any mis- spelling)

That's right. Ninian Park was 1-1 though. A truly shocking referee all the same.

When the Berlin Wall came down and the Stasi secrets were revealed, it's alleged that his name was front and centre regarding instructions received from on high to, "Not allow any British success", or words to that effect.

Everton also got his treatment in the 1971 EC (together with another bent referee from France).

1976 Euro quarter final. Lost the 1st leg 2-0 away. 2nd leg at Ninian Park. Drew 0-0, getting absolutely nothing from Herr Glockner (apologies for any mis- spelling)

RIP Mike Smith, nice guy.

Was at that game, ref Rudi Glochner (sp) caused a riot with his blatant cheating. Was later struck off for match fixing - which came as no surprise!

Mate of mine was accused of said incident with corner flag but was given an alibi by comedian Stan Stennett.

The scenes at the game are what led to the Wales v Scotland World Cup qualifier being moved to Anfield.

RIP Mike Smith, nice guy.

Was at that game, ref Rudi Glochner (sp) caused a riot with his blatant cheating. Was later struck off for match fixing - which came as no surprise!

Mate of mine was accused of said incident with corner flag but was given an alibi by comedian Stan Stennett.

The scenes at the game are what led to the Wales v Scotland World Cup qualifier being moved to Anfield.
Indeed it was that game.

Back