Exactly Who is Offended?

stevie221

Spoken to a few mhanky mentally challengeds over the last few days that I know and have a drink with. None are offended by our songs at games, and to be honest I don't give a flying feck what they sing, as long as I can tell them they are shite. So who is it that says our songs are wrong - who thinks for a minute I am going to stab a friend at a bus stop because he supports them?

Today some of St Mirren sang the Thistle song:

Hello hello, how do you do
we hate the boys in royal blue
we hate the boys in emerald green
so fect the pope and feck the queen

It's not deemed sectarian because the definition is far too narrow and it's garbage.

Spoken to a few mhanky mentally challengeds over the last few days that I know and have a drink with. None are offended by our songs at games, and to be honest I don't give a flying feck what they sing, as long as I can tell them they are shite. So who is it that says our songs are wrong - who thinks for a minute I am going to stab a friend at a bus stop because he supports them?

It's not deemed sectarian because the definition is far too narrow and it's garbage.

They will never get in trouble because they will never get into European competition.

At the offending game? Was there any away fans? It was shown rangers tv. So yes who is offended.
Another very good point. Probably no living person attending or watching that game was offended. Other similar judgements are made on people booing and intimidating players. This "instance" had no relevance in football, and no victim.

Nobody is offended. It is about attention-seeking for some (Captain Haggerty/Brittney etc) and for others, it is taking silly things some of our fans chant to governing bodies in order to seek punitive measures. We have been making it easy for them on all fronts.
You mean liberal middle class bastards that stick their noses in where it doesn't belong? When I was at University I was in the Officers Training Corps and the only place I saw equality was at Sandhurst. To be honest most other students I called "subversive bastards" and because they were middle class and I was council estate but Chairman of Law Society and they were private school. Anyway, little point to this except I called most of my students subversive bastards. That was 30-40 years ago and now everyone goes to Uni, but most of them have absolutely no idea about life.

You mean liberal middle class bastards that stick their noses in where it doesn't belong? When I was at University I was in the Officers Training Corps and the only place I saw equality was at Sandhurst. To be honest most other students I called "subversive bastards" and because they were middle class and I was council estate but Chairman of Law Society and they were private school. Anyway, little point to this except I called most of my students subversive bastards. That was 30-40 years ago and now everyone goes to Uni, but most of them have absolutely no idea about life.

It’s only going to get worse, they’ve swung so far left that it won’t be too long before the Overton Window designates Denis’s Skinner right of centre.

The big irony for me is that ANTIFA are effectively fascistic in many ways..

It’s not really about anyone being offended though,is it?
Watch all the diddy teams singing what they want,to try and get a response
from the hard of thinking.
Watch for Lennon acting up looking for a response.

No’one really. It started as a campaign to try and damage the club whilst making the last 16 of the Champions league in 2005. The punishment set a precedent that we can do nothing about. Fhilth supporting politicians, media and FARE make our situation impossible.

Last edited:

I don't really think it is a class issue mate. They're just making use of an easy means to get our club into trouble and play the victim card in the media.

Few people are genuinely 'offended' but that isn't the point.

This all started as the remedy for 'sectarianism' in Scotland. Hard to believe but the argument seemed to run along the lines (it was never really spelled out clearly at any stage) that stopping sectarian chants at football matches would somehow reduce religious bigotry in a wider sense. Not particularly convincing but we have become a very dumbed-down little country and no-one was going to ask awkward questions.

In reality, it was all about blaming one club and its support.

UEFA didn't have a clue about sectarianism in Scotland and were simply reacting to pressure brought by people close to McConnell.

In saying this, over the years the repertoire has drifted more and more into being dominated by Loyalist songs and in some cases verged on self-parody. The support hasn't reacted intelligently and that's a major concern.

Isn't jakey tims the answer?

They aren't offended by our chants or songs (banned or otherwise), that is just a faux way of trying to get us to adhere to what they want, and they have done it.
They are offended by us because of what we stand for.
I don't just mean unionism, being British, or even from a religious stand point allegedly all being Protestant, though that is a huge part of it.
I mean our core values of hard work, loyalty, never giving in regardless of the odds, and responsibility - there are always zoomers but in the main that is how I see us a support and a group.

On the other hand is their very nature to feel down trodden.
It is in their very fibre to always seek chaos.
It is always someone elses fault never theirs.
Even when they hold all the cards, have the power, have all the people in high places, it is their nature to be 24 hours away from a timplosion and play their pathetic attempt at a race card.

Noone is actually offended
Correct.

It was recognised as a way to hurt our club. Traps were set and we dutifully stepped right on it. They got the result they wanted. It's cost us financially and reputationally. A bigger trap now awaits, with bigger consequences.

The club, and the support, have been way too naive and negligent when we knew this trap existed.

I agree with other posters that nobody is actually offended.

However it’s still very easy to stop, it’s absolutely in our own hands. We know the songs and in particular the words that UEFA have banned and it’s their rules.

It really is that simple, stop those songs and words and we are fine. It’s not like it’s the only songs we have.

No-one is offended by anything we sing. They hate us though and use it against us, constantly.

It's frustrating when you see our fans saying ' I'll sing what I want' as if that's getting it up them. They want us to keep doing it coz it's so easy to use against us.

I’m afraid being offended is probably the only growth industry in Scotland at the moment and it’s going to take years for it to change
I honestly believe there is a silent majority of people who are sick of walking on eggshells so as not to upset the so called liberals who are anything but liberal and all it takes is for someone who is honestly offering something different to what is been served up by the political class at the moment

The mhanky mentally challengeds you spoke to don't mind one bit being called 19th Century Terrorists.
Now paedos, or nonce enablers? Well that'll be different.
That really seems to get to them judging by the replies I get, especially on Twitter (don't know any mhanky mentally challengeds personally or speak to any, I'm too staunch).

I’m not offended. Nobody is .

Is it a stitch up ? Of course it is .

But I’ll tell you this- and I reckon I’m not alone - Im not offended but I am bored shitless hearing pope, IRA and sands being belted out by our fans mostly at away games . Have been for years .

When Northern Ireland fans themselves don’t sing all that shite anymore , why the actual %^*& are we still hearing it ?

Let it go , it’s yesterday’s news , it’s fu king boring and shite and has no place at our games . It’s had its day .

Last edited:
Another very good point. Probably no living person attending or watching that game was offended. Other similar judgements are made on people booing and intimidating players. This "instance" had no relevance in football, and no victim.
No. No. No. You can't be right.

It would leave any "normal" person in a state of fear and alarm.

(c) NBN. (Grievance Monkeys)

Why would anyone of your intelligence think it’s ok to sing and shout FTP and F the Vatican?

Especially when it’s going to have a massively negative effect on our club?

Speirs started all this IIRC

Answer to the question = no one.

Its designed to damage Rangers, nothing else

It was James MacMillan that really got it up and running.

Distraught at our treble win in 99 he went looking for an off the field equaliser.

It’s never been about offence, it’s always been about weaponising faux offence for point scoring purposes.

I would say no one is really offended there will be some who are mock offended on behalf of others. It’s just a stick to beat us with.
I will admit the older I get the more I cringe at the add on’s to me they are embarrassing, nothing to do with the club or the support or the team.

No’one really. It started as a campaign to try and damage the club whilst making the last 16 of the Champions league in 2005. The punishment set a precedent that we can do nothing about. Fhilth supporting politicians, media and FARE make our situation impossible.
This.

thats not deemed offensive and sectarian? did any of our support report their song to the nearest coppers? Have they been on social media complaining about it?

Speirs started all this IIRC

Answer to the question = no one.

Its designed to damage Rangers, nothing else

Martin O’Neill is the biggest one for me. The press conference before one of their CL games where he shone a light on poor wee Lennon. Since then UEFA have been all over us.

It doesn’t matter if anyone in Scotland is offended or not. It is what UEFA think that is important. Message is clear. Cut the sectarian shit or get out of our competition.

Not hard to understand or get your head round.

People are beginning to take on a siege mentality with this and cant quite get there head around it.

I'd have thought GSTQ and Rule Britannia would piss them off more.

Why are we singing songs about some silly twat who starved himself to death for a failed cause?

Does that really get to their support?

Back