There are loads of them.

Gylfi Sigurdsson at 45m.

Tierney at 25m.

Shkodran Mustafi at 35m

Bakayoko at 40m

Zappacosta at 28m

Drinkwater at 35m

Others?

Would Man U paying the guts of 30m for Veron nearly 20 years ago count?

Liverpool paying over 30m for Benteke has to be considered too

Miguel Almirón at Newcastle was about £25m I’m sure and he’s hardly scored

Southampton spent 20 million on Osvaldo, ended up released on free and retiring (fairly young).

McBurnie same price bit of a shocker but still young I suppose.

Bebe for 7 million when he was apparantly homeless weeks before and hadn't played a game for Guimiares yet. Crooked deal.

Andy Carroll signed for Liverpool for £35m at the same time Sergio Agüero signed for City for £32m.

m9206h4l4km31.jpg

Honestly the top players in our league from us and them are incredible value compared to some players down south, you could pick up players like Morelos, Edouard, barisic and Calum mcgregor for buttons compared to some transfers in England and they are far superior to some of the players down there.

Everton in the same transfer window they signed Sigurdsson, they also signed Davy Klaasen for £25m, Cenk Tosun for £28m and Theo Walcott for £20m.

This probably won’t seem too extreme compared to some of the others mentioned but for me it signified the start of the madness in the EPL.
Joe Allen with one year left on his contract going to Stoke for about 15m. Back then I don’t even think he was worth 15m but Stoke splashing the cash even though he only had one year left on his contract was just madness.

Surely the biggest waste of money is Harry McGuire. What was it about 80 mill. God Sherlock Homes should investigate that one.

Two deals immediately strike me from this season.

Joao Cancelo for £60m and Sebastien Haller for £45m.

Horrid value for money.

Sanchez at MU from Arsenal, paying him 400,000 p/w also Phil Jones from Blackburn, mental

Chelsea must have the worst record down there. Mutu, Shevchenko, Sutton there’s a whole list for them. They even looked at Veron flopping and did the same thing, even at half the price

Reading these figures makes my head hurt. I can’t conceive of any footballer being worth more than £5M even though we’ve paid more ourselves. I remember thinking we must be absolutely loaded when we paid Hibs £100,000 for Colin Stein. I just can’t comprehend transfer fees today.

Back