Examples of EPL clubs overspending on players

Torres and Shevchenko to Chelsea. About £80 million spunked on they two. £26 million for Soldado to go to Spurs was a bit mental as well.

Although £9 million for Hutton, £8 million for Boumsong and almost £7 million for Flo is using the inflated English market well:p.

Benteke, 41m I’m sure his fee to Liverpool was
Sanchez to United
David Luiz, don’t know what his fee was but whatever it ended up being was too much

English football is a bubble. To the extent that when you say 'overspending' what are you measuring it against? Martyn Waghorn is a good example. Decent professional, hard working, nothing more than that. Leaves us for less than £1m and within a year transfers within England for £5m.

The volume of the TV deals down there means that you can't use transfer fees as a metric to compare with elsewhere in the world.

It’s amazing to think of the money you have to spend just to stand still down there. Everton for example spent £107m last season and look likely to finish bottom half.

Everton in the same transfer window they signed Sigurdsson, they also signed Davy Klaasen for £25m, Cenk Tosun for £28m and Theo Walcott for £20m.

Jeezo, Walcott is a blast from the past. Whatever happened to him!?

Man City spending £60 million on Cancelo, bet 95% of posters on here have never heard of him.

Pepe to Arsenal - £72 million

Di Maria to Man Utd - £67 million

Torres to Chelsea - £50 million (his knees were fucked)

Kepa to Chelsea - £70 million

Wilfred Bony to Man City - £29 million

It’s amazing to think of the money you have to spend just to stand still down there. Everton for example spent £107m last season and look likely to finish bottom half.

Rampant mismanagement

Off the back of this thread I was texting a mate thats an Everton fan, some notables over recentish years:

Schneiderlin - over £20 million
Richarlison - £35 million potentially rising to 50
Sigurdsson - £40 million
Walcott - £20 million
Pickford - £25 million
Iwobi - £28 million
Micheal Keane - £25 million

As he said, all that for essentially no return. Absolute madness

Rampant mismanagement

Off the back of this thread I was texting a mate thats an Everton fan, some notables over recentish years:

Schneiderlin - over £20 million
Richarlison - £35 million potentially rising to 50
Sigurdsson - £40 million
Walcott - £20 million
Pickford - £25 million
Iwobi - £28 million
Micheal Keane - £25 million

As he said, all that for essentially no return. Absolute madness

Jesus, Pickford for £25 mil, and we ended up letting Fod's contract run out because we couldn't find a buyer

Watched Norwich v Brighton on Saturday and remembered the old Super Ally joke about his 2nd touch was a tackle. The overall standard of play was disgraceful and God knows how much they are worth/earning.

Just thinking about the players chelsea have let go in the past , mo salah , lukaku , de bruyne think they got around £70m for the 3 of them ,would cost you more than that for de bruyne now

Interesting that Chelsea got Werner for next season at 45 million with him just entering his prime- an indicator that covid is maybe slowing the madness down slightly,although I doubt it’ll last.

The problem with all of these signings is that the players worth £1m or less suddenly have their agents rating them at £10 to 20m and demanding wages to match and the spiral continues upwards until it all implodes

I'm still shaking my head at Tierney to Arsenal for £25 million.

I don't think even a fully fit Tierney is worth half of that.
It’s ridiculous on the face of it , but Arsenal fans seem happy with the signing they see him as one of their best players , even after only playing a few games. And for his age 25 million probably isn’t that crazy when you see the other prices for average players on this thread.

He now seems very popular with their support and has been playing well.

Horrible papish bast**d, but was always a good full back, when fit.

Compared to David Luiz, he looks an absolute snip.
That’s true whenever I see Luiz I always wonder how on earth he made it as a footballer. Hits a not bad free kick but that’s about it but to play for the teams he has he must have something

One that was a big miss was Lewandowski to Blackburn in 2010. Was booked in to fly over and sign, then the volcanic ash cloud stopped his flight and Dortmund swooped in.

Going far back but Emile Heskey 11m to Liverpool from Leicester, not the worst transfer but by god he was crap

Back