Explayers as managers

Whilst the new manager is being decided and loads of names are banded about, I don't really understand our supports mentality of getting ex-players with limited track records as part of the management team or structure. It's everywhere, Ferguson, Thomson etc. Surely you take the best available for the job not just anyone with a link to the club and decent playing career ? Be interested to hear why people get so behind this ?

Ours is a very unique club to manage. Our fans expect the manager to hit the ground running, win every game, and win the league every season. There's few clubs in the world that have this - to be frank - unreasonable expectation. Bringing in someone who has experienced what this is truly like can help bridge that gap.

That's the thinking anyway. Not saying it's right.

Ours is a very unique club to manage. Our fans expect the manager to hit the ground running, win every game, and win the league every season. There's few clubs in the world that have this - to be frank - unreasonable expectation. Bringing in someone who has experienced what this is truly like can help bridge that gap.

Ive got to agree with this.

Were not just a football club. We're entirely different to all others out there. A lot of that comes down to our history, values, heritage, and our past successes that have made us the world's most successful football club.

Scottish Football itself is also a literal different ball game, and has an environment that is alien to most. Even the top teams in the world don't play cup finals every week. We do. If you can't get your head round that, and can't get yourself motivated enough to be on that same level, you're ultimately going to struggle.

The Glasgow goldfish bowl has broke many a player / manager. There's a reason why the most successful of them have ultimately "got it". What "it" is exactly, is hard to describe, but then if you're on here you should already know. Sadly, Jimmy Bell has been a massive loss to the whole club.

Wether you like it or not, a successful Rangers team absolutely must be surrounded by some our own.

I think if a manager is coming in with no direct experience of the club, it's a given.

If its Beale, regardless of opinions on his appointment, I'd say he "Gets it" enough to not need to be surrounded by Rangers men.

I hadn't given this the thought and thinking purely on a performance based approach rather than the types of external pressures that the club/fans/expectations brings. Part of me still wonders though, just having someone on your staff who has been there before, what can they realistically offer to assist. You either flourish, embrace it and thrive or you crumble. A fine balance really !

Always better someone that’s knows the league/opposition.
GVB was away too long to know it. If in deed Mick Beale is the manager he’ll know a fair amount of the opposition but will need to get up to date info on that lot across the city. Not sure any ex players mentioned will be a benefit to him.
Will he bring in any of SG’s team? Gary McAllister couldn’t have been desperate to leave

Whilst the new manager is being decided and loads of names are banded about, I don't really understand our supports mentality of getting ex-players with limited track records as part of the management team or structure. It's everywhere, Ferguson, Thomson etc. Surely you take the best available for the job not just anyone with a link to the club and decent playing career ? Be interested to hear why people get so behind this ?
What would be wrong with bringing Kevin Thomson in as coach? Not the assistant manager, not the first team coach but just someone to help out on the training ground but still got his say in first team meetings.

He’s a young coach British coach eager to learn by all accounts.
If Beale gets the job he’ll be working alongside one of the most knowledgeable coaches in Britain.
He previously played under our greatest ever manager and will have seen how Walter handled big egos.
He knows what type of mentality is needed to be a winner at Rangers.

I think it would be great for us as a club if we were able to again promote a young coach from within the club who then went on to be a successful manager for us.

Best perspective I've ever read on our managerial objective.

And I've always been on the fence about Mick. But when you frame it like that, I can understand the benefits.

All clubs who have been successful in the past and want to be successful going forward have the very same mindset as us, we aren't exclusive in this. Whether the management has links to the club or not is immaterial, where ever they've managed they have to have an outlook that is geared to success long term, short term doesn't work. A rebuild of a team takes three years,as a support we don't give anyone that time

All clubs who have been successful in the past and want to be successful going forward have the very same mindset as us, we aren't exclusive in this. Whether the management has links to the club or not is immaterial, where ever they've managed they have to have an outlook that is geared to success long term, short term doesn't work. A rebuild of a team takes three years,as a support we don't give anyone that time
Respectfully, I don’t full agree with this

Of course if you ask someone ‘how many games do you want to win?’, they are going to say all of them.

The vast majority clubs in the world do not expect their manager to win every game. Or at least they aren’t going to be calling for heads to roll when points are dropped. Rightly or wrongly, our fans do.

The clubs who do expect to win every game and trophies are able to attract and recruit the best of the best. We on the other hand are shopping in the likes of the championship where 3rd place is viewed as a great success

We saw it with Warburton, Pedro, Gio, and PLG etc. I think in their eyes, they thought were doing a good job. I don’t think any of them fully understood the expectation of the fans, and the country they had to work in.

This is why people want someone in there to bridge the gap. Again, rightly or wrongly

What would be wrong with bringing Kevin Thomson in as coach? Not the assistant manager, not the first team coach but just someone to help out on the training ground but still got his say in first team meetings.

He’s a young coach British coach eager to learn by all accounts.
If Beale gets the job he’ll be working alongside one of the most knowledgeable coaches in Britain.
He previously played under our greatest ever manager and will have seen how Walter handled big egos.
He knows what type of mentality is needed to be a winner at Rangers.

I think it would be great for us as a club if we were able to again promote a young coach from within the club who then went on to be a successful manager for us.
Great point tbh ! Wouldn't be adverse to using that wealth of knowledge, if it is Beale , to this advantage. I was more looking at the mentality of these explayers touted as being a number 2 or somehow it would be beneficial for a manager to have them as a number 2 but with no real pedigree other than they had a decent playing career. Surely these appointments of , it's who you know and who you are, are now in the past. Merit over profile was my thinking.

Back