Eye of the Tiger - The Jock Shaw Story

ionasdad

Folks my latest book on the life and times of our true Rangers Royalty our first treble winning captain Jock Tiger Shaw will be published 11 October.

Eye of the Tiger is the story of one of the most legendary figures in Glasgow Rangers’ rich history, a man who epitomised what it meant to be a Ranger. Jock Shaw was a no-nonsense full-back whose fierce, uncompromising tackling earned him the nickname ‘Tiger’ from club supporters. He joined the Gers from Airdrie in 1938 for £2,000 and was a key figure in the Ibrox defence in the immediate post-war years. That defence was dubbed the ‘Iron Curtain’ because it seemed as unyielding as the barrier that divided Europe at the time. The book charts Jock’s extraordinary journey from the coal pit at Bedlay (Annathill) to becoming Rangers’ first treble-winning captain. His signing for Rangers started a remarkable association with the club, which lasted over 40 years and saw him serve as team captain, third-team coach and groundsman. He also captained Scotland and shared the distinction of beating England with his brother David. R

· A humble hero and his life in North Lanarkshire
· How the tiny village of Annathill defeated England in 1946
· The story of Rangers’ first ever treble win
· The battle for superiority with Hibernian (not Celtic), and in particular with Hibs left back, Jock’s brother David
· The story behind the strangest post-match gift in Lisbon
· The Rangers defence famously dubbed ‘The Iron Curtain’ and what made them tick
· Shaw’s lasting dedication to Rangers, which made him a legend on the ground staff as well as on the pitch

RRP is 19.99 but offering it to bears for £15 and happy to meet up at Ibrox to save postage too. If anyone is interested please PM me

Not really anything to do with the thread but look at his picture on the cover. How come players of yesteryear look like grizzled hard real men and modern footballers are like wee boys? You'd crap your shorts with him growling at you in the tunnel!

Pr
Not really anything to do with the thread but look at his picture on the cover. How come players of yesteryear look like grizzled hard real men and modern footballers are like wee boys? You'd crap your shorts with him growling at you in the tunnel!
Probably because life was particularly hard between the First and Second World War. I suspect being was a miner was even harder then than it was in my lifetime.

@ionasdad I will definitely be purchasing your book about Jock Shaw whose name I have known about since I was a boy. I can order it from you or through Amazon. Which route means more money in your pocket (if you don’t mind me asking) as I am happy to follow that route.

One theory I've heard (from a sociologist) is that boys mature into men according to how society requires them to do so. In the era of heavy industry boys would be expected to leave school at fourteen and take up 'men's work.'. In wartimes teenagers would be drafted to literally fight for their country.

In more recent times with little or no heavy industry and only professional armed forces the scarcity of good jobs has led to the growth of further education, once the preserve of the privileged.

The estimated current age of maturity (manhood) is twenty six!

Folks my latest book on the life and times of our true Rangers Royalty our first treble winning captain Jock Tiger Shaw will be published 11 October.

Eye of the Tiger is the story of one of the most legendary figures in Glasgow Rangers’ rich history, a man who epitomised what it meant to be a Ranger. Jock Shaw was a no-nonsense full-back whose fierce, uncompromising tackling earned him the nickname ‘Tiger’ from club supporters. He joined the Gers from Airdrie in 1938 for £2,000 and was a key figure in the Ibrox defence in the immediate post-war years. That defence was dubbed the ‘Iron Curtain’ because it seemed as unyielding as the barrier that divided Europe at the time. The book charts Jock’s extraordinary journey from the coal pit at Bedlay (Annathill) to becoming Rangers’ first treble-winning captain. His signing for Rangers started a remarkable association with the club, which lasted over 40 years and saw him serve as team captain, third-team coach and groundsman. He also captained Scotland and shared the distinction of beating England with his brother David. R

· A humble hero and his life in North Lanarkshire
· How the tiny village of Annathill defeated England in 1946
· The story of Rangers’ first ever treble win
· The battle for superiority with Hibernian (not Celtic), and in particular with Hibs left back, Jock’s brother David
· The story behind the strangest post-match gift in Lisbon
· The Rangers defence famously dubbed ‘The Iron Curtain’ and what made them tick
· Shaw’s lasting dedication to Rangers, which made him a legend on the ground staff as well as on the pitch

RRP is 19.99 but offering it to bears for £15 and happy to meet up at Ibrox to save postage too. If anyone is interested please PM me
I'll be buying a copy when I get paid at the end of the month. My Uncles always spoke very highly of Tiger. Nice work!!

Pr

Probably because life was particularly hard between the First and Second World War. I suspect being was a miner was even harder then than it was in my lifetime.

@ionasdad I will definitely be purchasing your book about Jock Shaw whose name I have known about since I was a boy. I can order it from you or through Amazon. Which route means more money in your pocket (if you don’t mind me asking) as I am happy to follow that route.
Drop me a wee pm and we can sort it out

I remember a mate of mine who was doing well, so well that Tiger Shaw came to watch him play. Every man and their dug knew he was there and the opposition baited him. He lost the plot, stuck one on the guy who was marking him and got himself ordered off. As he walked back to the dressing room Tiger caught up with him and said “I’ll come back when you’ve calmed down son.” He never did but my mate knew he’d blown it anyway.

Mine was supposed to be delivered yesterday. Got an email from Amazon saying it would be here by 10pm. Nothing yet.

Hoping it arrives today as im away tomorrow for 2 weeks

Met Jock Tiger Shaw at Ibrox when I was a wee boy, probably about 8 or 9.
I had no idea who he was, but the guy sitting between us (who I didn't know) said to me "Do you know who this is son?", and went on to tell me who he was and asked him to sign his autograph for me.
Prior to that I didn't know much about our history but always liked to hear about him after that.

Hope you think it was worth the wait. Interested in your feedback
Congratulations mate, i really enjoyed reading your book. This represents an era when my late Father and Grandfather would walk from Govan to watch Tiger Shaw and his team mates. Growing up, they would tell me stories of these Players and Teams, and the huge crows at Ibrox. Like a lot of Govan men, when Rangers were away from home they watched the Bens, so would have known all about Tiger well before he signed for Rangers.
Its well researched and has a lot of interesting facts. Being honest, i enjoyed the early Chapters more.
The early years in the Pit Village, the history of the Village and local industry, leaving school at 14 to work down a Pit are things that we just cannot imagine these days.
I think that its good to document these facts as a reminder of how much society has changed. Our Fathers and Grandfathers sure had a hard life. If they were not fighting wars, they were toiling in dangerous industries with very poor regard to workers welfare.
Tiger himself, had an interesting and successful career, not only a born winner, but also he seems to have been very much the old school Gentleman.
He is a huge part of our Clubs history having served for 40 years as Player, Coach, Groundsman etc, and its great that its documented and future generations of Fans can read all about a true Rangers Legend.

Last edited:
Sales going pretty well and a new stock of books arrived today, so could meet before game on Sunday to save on postage £15 via friends and family paypal. Please message if you are interested

Sales going pretty well and a new stock of books arrived today, so could meet before game on Sunday to save on postage £15 via friends and family paypal. Please message if you are interested
Got as a birthday present, just finished it, cracking read.taking me back to my introduction to Rangers.
Ancient Loyal
Ok if I send you a feedback?

Listened to the book discussion on Heart and Hand.

Looking forward to reading it at Xmas even more now, I assume Mrs dh has bought it by now as she got enough hints.

For all FF posters who have not got their copy yet, I would recommend they do so asap or start telling their family about an early Christmas present. A really interesting book about the Tiger’s life. A bit of social history in the first couple of chapters explaining his background (which I assumed forged the Tiger’s outlook on life) and the bulk of the book about his career both at Airdrie and Rangers. Also a number of press articles of the time which gave a flavour of individual matches.

I did not see Tiger play for us but I knew he was still with the Club when I started Follow Following the Rangers. The last few chapters cover this time of his life. There is also a very poignant final colour photograph in the centrepiece of the book. I understand even more than I did why the Tiger was one of my Dad’s favourite players. I am pleased that his family are happy with the book too.

Jock Tiger Shaw : a Rangers great.

Will this be available in bookshops in Glasgow around christmas time?

Seems to be available to reserve for collection at Waterstones with 2 hours notice at the moment.

Eye of the Tiger: The Jock Shaw Story (Hardback)
£19.99
This item can be requested from the shops shown below. If this item isn't available to be reserved nearby, add the item to your basket instead and select 'Deliver to my local shop' (UK shops only) at the checkout, to be able to collect it from there at a later date.

Waterstones Glasgow - Argyle Street
174-176 Argyle Street, Glasgow , G2 8BT
Opening 09.00 to 19.00 tomorrow
Available within two (working) hours

Waterstones Glasgow - The Fort
Unit 30B, Glasgow Fort Retail Park, Glasgow, G34 9DL
Opening 09.00 to 21.00 tomorrow

Waterstones Glasgow - Silverburn
Unit 9B, Silverburn Shopping Centre, Glasgow , G53 6AG
Opening 10.00 to 21.00 tomorrow