Fabio Capello: 'I asked the players – Joe Hart or Calamity James?'

SDF

Great interview with Capello in the Guardian today about his experience with England at the 2010 World Cup, including this gem.

Few words were spent on dropping Green, certainly: Capello told him he was out and the conversation ended there. “You can’t say anything. Everyone makes mistakes. He made one, so I changed. I put in Calamity James.”

Yes, that is how he refers to David James – without missing a beat.

“I had Green and I had [Joe] Hart, just a kid. I asked the players. Hart or Calamity? ‘Calamity.’ I put Calamity in because of the players’ trust. John Terry and the defenders had more faith in James. Hart had played only once.”

Green also claimed Capello had fat-shamed the squad, telling three-quarters of them they were overweight. Also true, Capello concedes, spreading his hands. “They came like this. You explain, tell them what to do. They’re professionals. The problem is, they arrive at the end of the season. ‘We’re used to eating this, used to doing this, not used to that.’ It’s hard to change – especially if you don’t have leaders [among players] to guide them.”

James could be an excellent keeper. Definitely had more than his share of mistakes though!

I always defend James when threads pop up about him.

He was a keeper who came for everything and dropped the odd one which sometimes led to a goal.
Give me that every time over a keeper who won't command his 6 yard box let alone leave it.

It's not James who would cost you more goals.

USA-New-York-Post.jpg

Can't believe it's been nearly 10 years ffs.

He was a keeper who came for everything and dropped the odd one which sometimes led to a goal.
Give me that every time over a keeper who won't command his 6 yard box let alone leave it.

James dropped some calamitous clangers. I wouldn't have trusted him at the very highest level.

Met David James in Vegas. Big guy was a gentleman. As someone else said, if you come for every catch and try to dominate the box, you'll drop the odd one.

Remember Stuart Pearce played him as a number 10 for the last 15 minutes of a game against Middlesbrough?

Bizarre how he was never a successful manager.

Stuck him up front and to be fair he won a penalty that had robbie fowler stuck away then city would have been in europe the next season

James > Hart for sure.

Yes it is. Defenders are fine as long as they know what a goalkeeper is going to do. Goram and Klos managed fine despite not coming for much as gough - brown/McPherson or Amoruso and Moore knew everything outside the 6 yards was theirs unless keeper shouted. That is far preferable to them coming for things they are never getting and more often than not end up being a goal

That being said, James was a good goalkeeper and played quite well at 2010 world cup.

James was often a very good keeper, made a few clangers but was a good keeper overall

Yes it is. Defenders are fine as long as they know what a goalkeeper is going to do. Goram and Klos managed fine despite not coming for much as gough - brown/McPherson or Amoruso and Moore knew everything outside the 6 yards was theirs unless keeper shouted. That is far preferable to them coming for things they are never getting and more often than not end up being a goal

That being said, James was a good goalkeeper and played quite well at 2010 world cup.
”More often than not”?
LOL

If Capello thought that England side were fat, I wonder what he'd have made of some of our 9IAR era players.

Didn't stop them from doing the business for us.

Fat shamed hahahaha. F*ck off. I suppose boxers are being mentally abused now aswell cause they need to lose a few pounds to make weight.

England have struggled for a decent keeper for decades now.

Seems to me that getting the shirt is a total curse. More than decent goalkeepers end up in all sorts of slides once they become England number 1.

Pickford is well on that road now too.

"Fat shamed" only a loser like Green would come out with that. Unfortunate he dropped a clanger in his biggest moment but thats what happens when you're not good enough to bounce back.

England have been shocking in the goalie department since Seaman, which only helped further the delusion that Hart was a world class keeper. Certainly wasn't and Pep spotted that instantly.

Ben Foster is probably the best one for consistency since Seaman, and he probably has the least caps. Robinson was ok but big mistakes mentally ruined him. The current crop is even worse.

English goalies get absolutely destroyed for making mistakes - does any other nation react so badly?

was just thinking about this very subject last sat night watching liniker and co discussing the top ten keepers in the PL .England have not had a real top class keeper since the days of shilton clements and latterly seamen .

Back