Fabio Cardoso

Could he be worth a try at DM? A change of position could be good for him.
There's definitely an argument that it's worth trying with Jack and McCrorie out longer term it seems,and a more defensive partner would help Goss more imo.
I fear Cardoso is going to be the modern CB equivalent of Gabby Amato,talented player but not at all suited to the Scottish game.

Cardoso looks a good player, has half decent pace, good on the ball etc and i think he is better than a lot of his critics suggest. He may or may not be good enough but unless he gets a decent run we won't find out.
Bates is another player who is better than his critics suggest and whilst his distribution was poor at first i think the boy has improved that part of his game in a relatively short space of time. He again may or may not be good enough but we will find out soon enough.
Alves is good at attacking the ball in the air but, at this stage of his career, is a bit on the slow side however he has the pedigree to handle the Scttish game.
Martin like the others has strong points and weak points and he is also at the wrong end of his career.
We will be ok for this season however we will need new faces in the summer.

Reactions: cav
There's definitely an argument that it's worth trying with Jack and McCrorie out longer term it seems,and a more defensive partner would help Goss more imo.
I fear Cardoso is going to be the modern CB equivalent of Gabby Amato,talented player but not at all suited to the Scottish game.

Agree, I don't think FC is quick enough nor 'robust' enough for our domestic game with our god-awful refs. Thing is, at this stage in his career I don't see big Bruno being a good example for him to follow.

Agree, I don't think FC is quick enough nor 'robust' enough for our domestic game with our god-awful refs. Thing is, at this stage in his career I don't see big Bruno being a good example for him to follow.
That's my thoughts as well,Bruno hasn't been that outstanding leader I thought he would if I'm honest.
Part of me would like to see Cardoso beside bates to see if they would compliment each other given they are completely different in style,the other part thinks it could end up a disaster of epic proportions however.
Like many posters have said,there's no really outstanding CH at the club right now-they all have their weaknesses of some sort but finding that right blend is what the coaching staff are paid to do.

Papac started off as a CB under LeGuen but wasn’t physical enough for that position. Walter Smith moves him to LB and he turns into a very useful player.

Cardoso’s good on the ball but like Papac lacks the physicality for the CB position. I think it’d be worth a try giving him a few games at DM while we have this injury crisis.

He’s this years Kiernan. Poster boy for the manager that signed him. Very poor though.

The theory that he wasn’t / isn’t getting a game because Murty doesn’t like foreigners cracks me up.

A decent 45 against Aberdeen is all he’s offered.

Though he is still young and maybe just hadn’t found his feet... but I’d be delighted to get back what we paid for him.

I'll be honest, I've not seen a player shit himself when someone runs at him with the ball as badly as he does since Konterman.

I really doubt whether he is going to figure in our longer term plans. Think he may move on in the summer.

I agree, although it would be a shame as I don't think he's really been given a chance.

I also don't think starting two Portuguese in CD is a good idea in this league unless they've played a few seasons first.

He should play with Martin or Alves. Bates will be a star though.

Really?

I'm sure he will carve out a decent enough career for himself, but he simply does not possess enough ability to become anything remotely close to being described as a future star!

He is Svenssonesque in the air.

It's the kind of thing that gets dismissed and shunned by some as being the fault of the Scottish game but the likes of Drogba, Ronaldo, Lewandowski etc "top players" would be begging for balls in the box against him as well - it's a flaw.

I don't get how he had such a supposed reputation - he is raw verging on poor and looks no better than the dude we picked up from Raith.

Did he make up the reputation? Some rubbish gets posted on here.

Where did i say he made it up?

The point is that his performances for us have been littered with mistakes and his flaws are clear. Yet people are talking as if its amazing that he has fallen down the pecking order. It's obvious why

You dont continue to pick a player simply based on his reputation when he has done very little to live up to it

Last edited:
£1.5m outlay last year, and while he’s not set the heather alight he was very highly rated in Portugal.

He’s not behind Bates, Martin, Alves and McCrorie. Wasn’t even on the bench yesterday.

What’s our thoughts? I don’t think he’s too bad, and with our outlay on him I’d have him on the bench before Alves.

Guys I work with we’re at hospitality yesterday (unfortunately I had to work so couldn’t join in) however he came
In after the game and spoke and took pictures with them.

Whatever is happening off the park he deserves huge credit for being a true professional who has just put his head down and got on with it hoping his chance may come again! Seems to love the club too and personally I’d like to see what he can do now as this whole team is a different beast now under murty and I think there’s a player in there!

Don’t see it happening for him now, I think he has struggled with the physicality of the game here but he is not going get used to it by not playing.

He will go back to Portugal in the summer and probably go on and have a good career

Many of the players in the starting 11 are playing so well because others in the squad are ready to step in...nobody likes being replaced and the gaffer is all for rewarding excellent performances e.g. Holt suspended and Doc steps in now the shirt is Docs and Holt had been made captain remember...everybody should be on their toes with that kind of ruthless streak from Murty win win win and keep winning.

One thing I’d really highlight is how central defenders can look great/terrible depending on the partnership they’re in.

Craig Moore being prime example, looked poor then when he got paired with Amo everything clicked.

Cardoso has played mainly with Alves, who likes to attack everything, who has lost his pace, and who tends to dominate the pairing. I’d like to see Fabio in a different pairing as I think he’d look a lot better.

Unfortunately that’s not going to happen unless injuries or a huge dip in form occurs.

Back