Fabrizio Arata, Juventus and Rangers fan, RIP

mdingwall

Administrator
Fabrizio Arata, Juventus and Rangers fan, RIP

I was sadden to learn yesterday of Fabrizio’s passing - especially as he was a relatively young man.

A few years ago he had a lung transplant and apparently complications set in recently.

I’d actually written to him a few weeks ago outlining an article or two he might like to pen for a new issue of Follow Follow fanzine.

He’d written for FF several times over the years - had been a subscriber for over 20 years and also subscribed to the old “Blues Brothers” fanzine which covered Rangers, Chelsea and Linfield.

Through Follow Follow and Rangers he developed many new friendships around the world - even with a Roma/Rangers fan, setting aside their Italian rivalry through a common interest in Scottish football culture.

He was a passionate Juventus fan who had a great thirst for discovering football history and fans culture. He became a great pal of Robbie from Duke Street whom many of you will know. He worked for the Genoese bank, Banda Carige.

Several times I took him on tours of Glasgow when he visited - I even gave him my own ticket for the 6-2 defeat at Parkhead - he blamed me for bad luck, I blamed him for bad luck!

It’s strange how people from different countries come together through their passion for football - Fabrizo was a thoughtful and funny guy - quiet but possessed of a sharp intellect. His passion for football matched by his talent for photography - examples of his work are on his Facebook page and often feature images from the countryside and centre of his home town Ovada in Piedmont.

He was a credit to his family and football club. If there were more fans like him the world would be a better place.

Now his journey is ended, and with no more pain, I trust his family and friends will remember him and emulate his good humour and thoughtfulness.

Goodbye, my friend.

Below are notices of condolence from friends, neighbours and colleagues.

Mark, was Fabrizio the guy that went to Newcastle tournament? (We had a spare ticket and a spare room and I'm fairly sure it was him that took them).

Sad to hear,I remember one or two of his articles and remember being delighted that he had chosen to follow us

Condolences to his family and friends

RIP. Fabrizio a truly unique person who won't be forgotten, sincere condolences to Fabrizio's family.

Hope to dig out a series Fabrizio did for Blues Brothers about the development of Italian ultra culture.

Would love to read some of his articles. I do have a soft spot for Juve.

RIP Fabrizio.

Latest posts

Back