Family of Gers fan appeal for celebrities to make him smile one last time

Bonnyloyal

THE family of a stricken Rangers fan have launched a heartbreaking appeal for celebrities to help him smile “one last time” from his deathbed.

James Maxwell, 55, was diagnosed with meningitis aged 18 and has always had a “zest for life” despite struggling with the deadly infection.

James is being supported in hospital by niece Kate
During his battle with the condition the Shettleston-based Gers supporter was struck down in a coma for six months, suffered kidney failure, and endured endless months in hospital.

Now he has made the devastating decision to end his treatment after growing exhausted with his 37-year battle – with medics warning he has just days to live.

Umar Sadiq to Rangers: Roma forward in advanced discussions with Ibrox chiefs over season-long loan
And his devoted niece is determined to make his final moments memorable.

Kate Blair, along with her two sisters – Michelle, 32 and Stephanie, 29 – and her mum Diane, are all supporting James from his bedside.

James’s great-nephew Ruairi has been keeping his spirits up
Kate, 18, told the Scottish Sun Online: “Recently James hasn’t had much luck and his health has deteriorated.

“In the past two days he has decided he doesn’t want to continue treatment, a very brave decision to make.

“But he’s been told that he won’t ever get out of hospital due to his health and that sepsis is taking over in his frail body.”

His family are agonising over a future without James, but have all supported his decision to end treatment.

James lived a healthy childhood before he was struck down with the deadly infection
Kate added: “His nurses and the people who know him best in my opinion agree it’s the best way and he’s in control.

“Although it is breaking the family’s heart we are all behind him and know that he’s tired now and that his decision should be respected.

“Never think because someone is physically disabled that they aren’t in control of their own mind.”

Kate, a bank worker, says James would do “anything to put a smile one someone’s face” – and now she’s hoping her appeal will give him joy with some hospital VIP visits.

Kate has launched an online appeal for celebs to visit her uncle in hospital
The plucky teen has already tweeted Rangers players and some of the Still Game cast in a bid to get a red carpet farewell for her uncle.

The Gers-mad uncle has met Ally McCoist and Mark Hately before – and the family think seeing some more Rangers stars would “lift his spirits”.

She explained: “We want to make the end as easy as possible for James and thank him for being that special guy we can’t imagine not being part of our life anymore.

“We are hoping that by sharing James story that it will attract the attention of some famous people that would be kind enough to give up some time to go and visit him.

The plucky teen is determined to make her uncle’s final days count
“I can guarantee that they won’t be visiting a sad man in his bed, they will be laughing and smiling from ear to ear.

“Meeting some people like this would be amazing for James, to lift his spirits and also a good way for the family to remember him.”

Kate added: “My uncle has a zest for life, he loves people and has the best banter.

“In all my life I have never known him to be sad or down much.

“He’s a strong character and everyone that meets him ends up friends for a long time.”

She added: “James wouldn’t want you to read this story and feel sorry for him, that wasn’t him, he’s an upbeat character and takes everything in his stride with a smile.”

DO you know anyone who could help Kate with her celeb campaign? Email katy.pagan@the-sun.co.uk

Such a shame the team are in Spain at the moment.

What a horrible decision to have to make, and what a fight he sounds like he has put up throughout his life.

Hope the next few days he can enjoy and he goes peacefully. Best seat in the house to watch Stevie G and the team when they get 55.

Maybe one or two of the players from his era could make a visit eg those who do hospitality. His niece Kate could let the club know who his favourite players were.

What a tragic and heartbreaking story that is , not only puts football in perspective but makes you realise there are people a lot worse off than you !
I hope somebody famous will go and see him and give him a smile , also I really hope the time he has left is as comfortable as possible .
God bless !

Such a shame the team are in Spain at the moment.

What a horrible decision to have to make, and what a fight he sounds like he has put up throughout his life.

Hope the next few days he can enjoy and he goes peacefully. Best seat in the house to watch Stevie G and the team when they get 55.
If the current team can't make it hopefully some legends can pay him a visit. I'm sure the likes of Novo or big Marvin etc would help if they can.

RANGERS legends Ally McCoist and Nacho Novo have visited a stricken fan in hospital after his family pleaded for celebs to make him smile “one last time” from his deathbed.

James Maxwell, from Glasgow, was diagnosed with meningitis aged 18 and has always had a “zest for life” despite struggling with the deadly infection.

Nacho Novo visited stricken James in hospital
We told earlier how the 55-year-old made the devastating decision to end treatment after growing exhausted with his 37-year battle – as medics warn he has just days to live.

His devoted family launched a heartbreaking plea for footie stars and A-listers to visit him in hospital to make his last days memorable.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard hopes to persuade Walter Smith to take up an advisory role at Ibrox
And the Rangers family have come out in full force to make it happen.

Ibrox hero Ally McCoist phoned James for a 10-minute chat all the way from Russia, where he is commentating for the World Cup.

The pair chatted all afternoon in Glasgow

KEITH CAMPBELL - THE SUN GLASGOW
Ally McCoist, currently in Russia, phoned James to offer his support
And fan favourite Nacho Novo, still recovering from his own health scare, spent an hour at James’s bedside sharing stories about their favourite team.

James’s niece Michelle McKee – who helped launch the appeal – said: “Ally McCoist called me and he spoke to James while Nacho novo was here. It was surreal.

“We had an absolutely amazing afternoon and James is over the moon.

“Nacho is the sweetest, most patient human being ever, and Ally had such a good laugh on the phone.

KEITH CAMPBELL - THE SUN GLASGOW
Ibrox star Lee McCulloch is also set to visit James in hospital
“James had them both in fits of laughter.”

Spaniard Nacho Novo shared food ideas for his NN10 boozer with James and his family – before saying he wished James was well enough to enjoy some free drinks at the bar.

And Ally filled the Gers fan in on everything happening in Russia.

Michelle said: “Ally and James were talking about the world cup and their predictions.

James is being supported in hospital by niece Kate
“James has always loved the woman and was asking if the woman over in Russia were good looking and Ally was laughing at him.

“Nacho and James were talking about his amazing time at Rangers, all about running his pub and loving the Glasgow people.”

The Glasgow family said the have been overwhelmed by the support from celebs and the Scottish public since launching their appeal this week.

But the Light Blues won’t stop at just two VIP visits.

Ex-Ibrox stars Lee McCulloch, Andy Goram and Mark Hately are all set to visit James at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital over the next few days after the Scottish Sun Online exclusively shared the family’s appeal.

Virtual Reality guru Billy Agnew has also offered his support to the family and will give frail James one last tour of the Rangers stadium through a virtual headset.

Lee McCulloch@LeeHMcCulloch

@Michell43876047 Hi Michelle, was really moved reading about James, He sounds like a a true ranger. I would love to come in tomorrow afternoon and hear his banter?...x

Michelle, 32, said: “It’s unbelievable the love and support we are getting just now.

“Thank you to the Scottish Sun, it wouldn’t have all happened without your help.”

Thats what being one of us is.

Had many a reason to crticise both ally and lee in past issues however an absolute touch of class in giving their time for the guy, especially from russia. Novo as always gives back to Rangers.

I've been fortunate enough to meet James a couple of times through work, a cracking guy and a rock solid bear, everyone is absolutely gutted at the news.

That is heartbreaking but also really nice to hear about Nacho and Ally taking time to go visit him, especially with Nacho having his own health problems recently.

Well done the guys for stepping up to the mark, and I hope it gives James and his family pleasure and comfort.

Fantastic from the ex players and the gaffer!
When Mr Struth talked about being a Ranger.....this is what he was talking about.
Well done to all!
Best wishes to James and all his family at this difficult time.

Last edited:
Best wishes to James and his family and great stuff from all the former players, well done all of them

Just read that Willie Henderson and Bertie Auld payed James a visit in hospital. He says he's ready to go now, poor fella. Could feel my eyes getting teary just reading that heartbreaking story of a truly inspirational guy.

God Bless you James, once a Bear always a Bear my friend.

Back