Family suing Celtic following death of fan at parkhead

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
The family of a football fan who died after falling in a stairwell at an international match at Celtic Park are suing the club.

Nathan McSeveney, 20, from Cumnock in Ayrshire, died after Scotland's Euro 2016 qualifier against the Republic of Ireland in November 2014.

Lawyers for his family said they believed Celtic FC had "failed in its duty of care to protect" Mr McSeveney.

Celtic said it did not accept liability for the accident.

'Tragic case'
Mr McSeveney was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary from Exit 33 of the stadium on 14 November 2014 but died from his injuries.

The family's lawyers, Thompsons Solicitors, said it was "a tragic case that has devastated a family".

Partner Patrick McGuire added: "It is our firm belief that the football club failed in its duty of care to protect this young man leading to this awful accident.

"The fact that they have now taken the obvious measure to make the area in question safer by erecting safety nets proves this.

"We will be fighting hard to make sure they family receive the justice they deserve."

'Very safe environment'
A spokesman for Celtic said: "Celtic Football Club has considerable sympathy with the McSeveney family for their terrible loss following this tragic accident.

"However, and while the club's sympathy is in no sense diminished, the club does not accept liability for the accident.

"Celtic Park is a very safe environment and complies with all applicable building standards.

"Celtic Park is regularly inspected and certified as safe by the relevant authorities, including an investigation immediately following the accident."

The spokesman added: "The matter is in the hands of the club's insurers and solicitors and it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time."

I was in the jungle stand at The St.Johnstone game years ago and if I remember correctly there were red and white danger signs on stairs to mind your head.

I am 5ft 8 in and could hit them.

It is a shite hole inside.

A death and a stabbing at Celtic Park in recent times.

Yep, it’s a really safe ground folks.

Last time I was there i was in the top tier and there was a hole in the concrete floor with a bit of plywood covering it and a traffic cone on top. The place is a hovel.

Remember the League Cup final against Hearts (4-3) at the piggery. The steward's were handing out paper towels so you could dry your seat as water was pissing from the roof.

Remember the League Cup final against Hearts (4-3) at the piggery. The steward's were handing out paper towels so you could dry your seat as water was pissing from the roof.
Aye, remember that. There was a waterfall near where I sat and there was nobody able to sit anywhere near it.

Absolutely heartbreaking for the poor lads family.

I genuinely hope the family do get the justice they deserve.

Any drop that is high enough to kill should have proper safety equipment surrounding it.

Of course, nobody can stop a determined person delibreately ignoring reasonable safety equipment and almost deliberately exposing themselves to risk, but the nets now erected do suggest a H&S failing has been identified. Had those nets been in place at the time, the young lad would be alive today. Simple as that.

Any drop that is high enough to kill should have proper safety equipment surrounding it.

Of course, nobody can stop a determined person delibreately ignoring reasonable safety equipment and almost deliberately exposing themselves to risk, but the nets now erected do suggest a H&S failing has been identified. Had those nets been in place at the time, the young lad would be alive today. Simple as that.

Theyve got an uncanny knack of dodging justice ( aswell as soap ).

That seems to be the argument they are using. I see Lawwell trumpeting the line of safety certificates being granted etc, yes from corrupt season ticket holders no doubt.

That's the game where my seat didn't exist. The row went 142 to 144 (for example) and the steward told me if I was 143 I could sit wherever I found an empty seat.

The fact Celtic have upgraded safety measures on the stairwell shows that the proper precautions weren’t in force. This shouldn’t be turned into a point scoring thing as nobody should not return from going to football or shops or anyother building due to inadequate safety measures.

There could well be outside factors that came into play in this tragic death but H&S must have issued a safety certificate for that section as the rest of the stadium so that needs looked at to why if all was not correct.

The SFA can't possibly now award any Scotland games to this dump anymore.
Watch them. This tragedy should not be allowed to be repeated but those in charge care only about one thing. It might begin with c but it’s certainly not crowd safety.

It's a shithole of a stadium - a few brown envelopes changes hands to ensure it got it's safety certificate.

As for the SFA not being able to consider it for the Scotland national team. Of course they will - they will be working overtime to ensure it is. If it means giving their pals at Celtic more money it will happen.

We don’t really know the ins and outs of this particular case, but two things are certain. The Scum will deny everything and they will have their legal team digging for any dirt they can find on the victim and his family.

A balanced and reasonable post sir.

If or when it goes to court, will selick's lawyers have the temerity to ask the victim's family if they're Rangers fans?
Guaranteed. Not that it has anything to do with it. The lad was there watching Scotland, which should be enough. I wouldn’t go to any Scotland game, let alone one at the bheggardome.

It's a shithole of a stadium - a few brown envelopes changes hands to ensure it got it's safety certificate.

As for the SFA not being able to consider it for the Scotland national team. Of course they will - they will be working overtime to ensure it is. If it means giving their pals at Celtic more money it will happen.
You might be right on the first point but given the demographic of the council, as evidenced by their numerous previous dealings with the bheasts, it probably doesn’t require any envelopes. They merely look after their own. Scum!

Holy %^*&! I know the lawyer!! Family are celtic season ticket holders as well and he goes to a few games himself! lol, wait till i see him! :D

Guaranteed. Not that it has anything to do with it. The lad was there watching Scotland, which should be enough. I wouldn’t go to any Scotland game, let alone one at the bheggardome.
The team who the deceased follows should not be an issue but his family are dealing with horrible people who have no problems covering their shite up.

The thing i've never understood about this tragic affair is that 6 days later they held another International at the very same stadium no inquest no investigation nothing as far as I'm aware ..........
They don’t want anything like public safety getting in the way of their aiding Celtc.

For people speculating that the guy climbed on the railings before falling, aren’t security meant to be in position to stop this kind of thing happening at large events?

Always remember my first time I was in the upper section their it did seem an accident waiting to happen.

The fact Celtic have upgraded safety measures on the stairwell shows that the proper precautions weren’t in force. This shouldn’t be turned into a point scoring thing as nobody should not return from going to football or shops or anyother building due to inadequate safety measures.

There could well be outside factors that came into play in this tragic death but H&S must have issued a safety certificate for that section as the rest of the stadium so that needs looked at to why if all was not correct.

If memory serves me - this is not the first time a fan has fallen from the top tier - our league win at that place resulted in one of them going head first down to the stand below - so in effect the standard of required safety has not been implemented to prevent this situation occurring again

Golden handshake and all is well.Its the mentally challenged way.
Deflect blame from themselves is the original mentally challenged way. Still doing it after the tragic death of this boy. Scumbags forever.

Could you imagine this happened at Ibrox? They’d be going all out to try and get the place shut down.

If memory serves me - this is not the first time a fan has fallen from the top tier - our league win at that place resulted in one of them going head first down to the stand below - so in effect the standard of required safety has not been implemented to prevent this situation occurring again
I would say this is more the H&S s fault then, if there has been issues prior and reported then either the H&S haven’t been proper in their investigation on how it came about and acted to sort the problem or nothing was ever reported prior to the poor guys death.

If the second and Celtic have put in place whatcwas instructed by H&S then what more could they do.? It may be the inspectors turned a blind eye due to it could have closed the area for safety reasons and took the easy route as the fall out politically would go all the way as grounds are tested for licenses often and could have opened a hornets nest. I would imagine there are files in the public domain telling us if reports were made prior.

Back