Family suing Celtic following death of fan at parkhead

A friend of mine also passed away that very same night. A Celtic fan, not that that matters, who was also at the game. Nothing to do with the stadium.

Just feels weird reading this. RIP SM x

I remember going to their previous dump and when we got through their turn styles a phuckin wall collapsed.

A poster on here said about their current dump that it was amazing what you can build with tin lol

I remember going to their previous dump and when we got through their turn styles a phuckin wall collapsed.

A poster on here said about their current dump that it was amazing what you can build with tin lol

That was a new year game mate just before ko my older bro was beside the wall as we were queuing to go into terracing turnstiles nearest jungle and he kept saying this wall is about to go.

We just made it through before it did there were quite a few injuries.

If or when it goes to court, will selick's lawyers have the temerity to ask the victim's family if they're Rangers fans?

Not sure it’ll reach court, bud.
If septic look like losing, they’ll settle quickly to avoid any bad publicity and a NDA will be in place as much as it can be.

I've never set foot in the McCann Piggery and don't intend to. There always seems to be safety certificate issues about the place.
I was in the Strathclyde Students Union earlier this year and couldn't believe the safety changes to what, in the 60s, was a huge open stairwell accessing all floors, now no one could fall down either accidentally or by being an idiot.
I always thought H & S in public places was to consider all eventualities and ensure appropriate preventative measures taken..

I remember being corralled into a small exit from the away support area. The worst exit from any ground I have been in especially in recent times .

Theyve got an uncanny knack of dodging justice ( aswell as soap ).
I can't believe I'm going to defend the tramps.
It's a shite hole.
It should be shut down.
Surely this case will fail for the simple fact that the SFA hired the premises. Distributed tickets and let people into it in its current state.?

Oh. And this hitting the mainstream has probably just granted hampdump a new 5 or 10 year lease.

Thoughts with the young man's family. God knows I've done some stupid shite at the football after a beer so climbing or not. Risk of a fall like that should be dealt with by the club proactively to make sure it can't happen.

The fact Celtic have upgraded safety measures on the stairwell shows that the proper precautions weren’t in force. This shouldn’t be turned into a point scoring thing as nobody should not return from going to football or shops or anyother building due to inadequate safety measures.

There could well be outside factors that came into play in this tragic death but H&S must have issued a safety certificate for that section as the rest of the stadium so that needs looked at to why if all was not correct.
What I was told at the time was he tried to slide down the banister after the game and fell off. If this is true I don't see how celtic can be held accountable.

Last time I was at the Piggery they had erected cage like fencing round the gaps in the staircase so it was impossible to fall over the handrail.

Guessed that was a result of the poor lads death.

What I was told at the time was he tried to slide down the banister after the game and fell off. If this is true I don't see how celtic can be held accountable.
Better not saying anything mate incase it messes up any case for either side. I would be questioning the local H&S if I was the lawyer and see all reports for that area

Last time I was at the Piggery they had erected cage like fencing round the gaps in the staircase so it was impossible to fall over the handrail.

Guessed that was a result of the poor lads death.

As good as them admitting it wasn’t safe in its original state. Should be an open goal for the claim regardless of what the boy did to cause the fall.

I was in the jungle stand at The St.Johnstone game years ago and if I remember correctly there were red and white danger signs on stairs to mind your head.

I am 5ft 8 in and could hit them.

It is a shite hole inside.
Only time I was there was the LC Final against St Johnstone and a semi against them. Came out of one of them against the cemetery side and you can only go one way, the same way as everyone else. I'm amazed there's never been a crush there.

It's a shite hole.
It should be shut down.
Surely this case will fail for the simple fact that the SFA hired the premises. Distributed tickets and let people into it in its current state.?

Oh. And this hitting the mainstream has probably just granted hampdump a new 5 or 10 year lease.

Thoughts with the young man's family. God knows I've done some stupid shite at the football after a beer so climbing or not. Risk of a fall like that should be dealt with by the club proactively to make sure it can't happen.
Blame is with the council for issuing the safety cert, and the owners for upkeep

The SFA cannot.be expected to run their own safety checks. Its reasonable for them to assume the certificates are legitimate

Only time I was there was the LC Final against St Johnstone and a semi against them. Came out of one of them against the cemetery side and you can only go one way, the same way as everyone else. I'm amazed there's never been a crush there.

I remember being in the stand opposite the one they have to keep held up by scaffolding for the 4-3 Hearts league cup final. I couldn't believe how little space there was outside for the number of people in the stand, I don't know if this is still the same.

Many years ago I was at a reserve fixture at the Tramphitheatre(before seating) there was a huge Gers support and they packed us like sardines into one shitey area. The other side of the fence had absolutely no c unt in it.

Blame is with the council for issuing the safety cert, and the owners for upkeep

The SFA cannot.be expected to run their own safety checks. Its reasonable for them to assume the certificates are legitimate

Fair enough, I'm no legal expert so you no doubt know better than I.

I just assumed if I rent out a premises then I'd be responsible for the people I take in.
But I can see why it would be the way you say also...

As good as it is to have a bash at the filth and their dump we have to be a bit realistic. If someone climbed up on a handrail and then falls as seems to be the case it's difficult to place the blame on the owners. That could happen at any stadium shopping mall or thousands of public buildings.
A tragic case.

The family of a football fan who died after falling in a stairwell at an international match at Celtic Park are suing the club.

Nathan McSeveney, 20, from Cumnock in Ayrshire, died after Scotland's Euro 2016 qualifier against the Republic of Ireland in November 2014.

Lawyers for his family said they believed Celtic FC had "failed in its duty of care to protect" Mr McSeveney.

Celtic said it did not accept liability for the accident.

'Tragic case'
Mr McSeveney was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary from Exit 33 of the stadium on 14 November 2014 but died from his injuries.

The family's lawyers, Thompsons Solicitors, said it was "a tragic case that has devastated a family".

Partner Patrick McGuire added: "It is our firm belief that the football club failed in its duty of care to protect this young man leading to this awful accident.

"The fact that they have now taken the obvious measure to make the area in question safer by erecting safety nets proves this.

"We will be fighting hard to make sure they family receive the justice they deserve."

'Very safe environment'
A spokesman for Celtic said: "Celtic Football Club has considerable sympathy with the McSeveney family for their terrible loss following this tragic accident.

"However, and while the club's sympathy is in no sense diminished, the club does not accept liability for the accident.

"Celtic Park is a very safe environment and complies with all applicable building standards.

"Celtic Park is regularly inspected and certified as safe by the relevant authorities, including an investigation immediately following the accident."

The spokesman added: "The matter is in the hands of the club's insurers and solicitors and it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time."

Built on the cheap by the cheap for the cheap

Laughable to think they're trying to make it our national stadium for Scotland games

Safety certificates from a nudge wink wink from the 19th Century Terrorist brotherhood in Glasgow city council

Almost as corrupt as the sectarian games 2014

How's the surrounding area going 3 years later ?

Boomshaka lakka ......

For people speculating that the guy climbed on the railings before falling, aren’t security meant to be in position to stop this kind of thing happening at large events?

Always remember my first time I was in the upper section their it did seem an accident waiting to happen.
It's a horrible ground, especially the upper tiers. When you are seated the guy in front's head is way below the level of your knees, it's far too steep.

As I said at the time of the tragic death, this isn't not about one upmanship, a lad lost his life and it could have been prevented.

The safety officer at the stadium should have all practicable measures in place. They weren't and a young lad has lost his life.

The fact that netting has been erected indicates that the netting could have helped prevent this. If human error ( and it seems likely ) is the main cause then preventions should've taken place to either stop him getting up or the aforementioned fall prevention netting.

The questions should be centred on who passed the stadium as safe and why when it quite clearly wasn't?

Would you leave a scaffold on the street accessible to the general public? All measures must be taken to prevent incidents.

Not sure it’ll reach court, bud.
If septic look like losing, they’ll settle quickly to avoid any bad publicity and a NDA will be in place as much as it can be.
This is a grieving family who lost a son. Money isn't what they want. It's justice.

I work in H&S, as far as is reasonably practicable is the term that is often used to determine what action should be taken to minimise risk. Definition below.

How is ‘reasonably practicable’ defined?

In this context, reasonably practicable means that which is, or was at a particular time, reasonably able to be done to ensure health and safety, taking into account and weighing up all relevant matters including:

(a) the likelihood of the hazard or the risk concerned occurring

(b) the degree of harm that might result from the hazard or the risk

(c) what the person concerned knows, or ought reasonably to know, about the hazard or risk, and ways of eliminating or minimising the risk

(d) the availability and suitability of ways to eliminate or minimise the risk, and

(e) after assessing the extent of the risk and the available ways of eliminating or minimising the risk, the cost associated with available ways of eliminating or minimising the risk, including whether the cost is grossly disproportionate to the risk.

The fact that netting was erected after the incident would indicate simply that not all reasonably practicable steps were implemented prior to this incident.

They will probably give the family a couple of hundred grand to make them go away quietly.

Safety certificates granted by guys wearing Selik scarfs!
If they have now erected netting as a result of this tragic accident it would be seen in a court of law that there was a negligence in granting the certificate in the first place due to the absence of safety netting.

They will probably give the family a couple of hundred grand to make them go away quietly.
They will only be involved in the periphery of the matter. It will be their insurers who will pick up the tab assuming there is one. Many modern hotels and shopping centres have even higher central atriums with normal height barriers. Provided people exercise an element of common sense there shouldn't be an issue. I suspect that the insurers will fight this all the way as there is too much at stake not to.

A death and a stabbing at Celtic Park in recent times.

Yep, it’s a really safe ground folks.
On that subject , has anyone been arrested for the stabbing ? or are the police making as much headway as the cases involving two young Gers fans who were assaulted in recent years
Oh and Fernando Ricksen being hit by a lighter many years ago

Built on the cheap by the cheap for the cheap

Laughable to think they're trying to make it our national stadium for Scotland games

Safety certificates from a nudge wink wink from the 19th Century Terrorist brotherhood in Glasgow city council

Almost as corrupt as the sectarian games 2014

How's the surrounding area going 3 years later ?

Boomshaka lakka ......
If they manage to get planning permission to build the Jock Stein stand in spite of the fact that it rendered neighbouring properties uninhabitable , I have no doubt that they would get safety certifcates from the same authorities

If they manage to get planning permission to build the Jock Stein stand in spite of the fact that it rendered neighbouring properties uninhabitable , I have no doubt that they would get safety certifcates from the same authorities
Unfortunately I think you are right.

H.S.E have more powers than the police , a fatality usually results in closure until after a thorough examination of the incident , and if found liable for the death , head of company could be facing manslaughter charges . I DO hope Liewell has done his job properly .

would there not be some kind of accident book kept for this area that would make a nice reading

I think anyone who's been at Parkhead and down those stairwells will say it was unfortunately an accident waiting to happen.

It's the only stadium i've been to where the stairwells were left open like that - and while people leaving should do so in an orderly fashion, the fact is after a game of football and with thousands of fans in high spirits pushing, overcrowding, etc can and does happen.

Nothing at all to do with how well/poorly the stadium was constructed, for me it's simply poor planning and i'm pretty shocked that such plans ever got approved. And that would go for any sporting venue.

Last edited:
ive not set foot in the piggery since thre 5-1 defeat during advocaats reign. Has anyone got a picture of these stairwells?

I remember being in the stand opposite the one they have to keep held up by scaffolding for the 4-3 Hearts league cup final. I couldn't believe how little space there was outside for the number of people in the stand, I don't know if this is still the same.

I was there that day too. I was 15 at the time and going through that bit under the stand that overhangs the cemetary was a bit dodgy.

I was carried off the deck in the swell of people trying to get through there to get out. %^*& knows how that was ever allowed in this day and age.

One of these days there is going to be a massive disaster at this stadium. Tragic for the lads family

It's a shite hole.
It should be shut down.

You know what, I had a seat in the Club Deck for years and I can't for the life of me recall if we have anything at the front to 'catch' anyone going over the edge. I know there is a barrier on top of the wall but, out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's anything else. It's a long, long way up - or down, depending on how you look at it.

Last edited:
Back