Fan ownership of Rangers themed bars by fundraising ownership. Would you buy into and get shares?

RangersUK

Official Ticketer
After reading a few posts about a Rangers themed bar in areas around the world. If a Kickstarter type fundraising page was set up, would folk donate towards it all to sort out? Each payment would mean shares in bar. Would people be interested in such a thing?

These types of ventures are ripe for the hired help to rip off the shareholders.
Not if everyone were equal. Straight forward shares to funding amount. Proper legal lawyers papers written up and so on. If loads of folk got involved, it wouldn’t be about making millions (well it could after years of many countries but outwith that) it would be about fan owned passion. With correct PR company hired to sort out all the marketing and advertising, it’ll be perfect for quite a few places.

Not if everyone were equal. Straight forward shares to funding amount. Proper legal lawyers papers written up and so on. If loads of folk got involved, it wouldn’t be about making millions (well it could after years of many countries but outwith that) it would be about fan owned passion. With correct PR company hired to sort out all the marketing and advertising, it’ll be perfect for quite a few places.
I mean the managers etc who run it. There’s no margin in the pub game, if some of the cash is going out the back door you’re done.

I mean the managers etc who run it. There’s no margin in the pub game, if some of the cash is going out the back door you’re done.
Nope, too much scope to lose the investment.
Who would run it?
Would you be looking at a rangers sequel AGM for a boozer? Just unworkable IMO
If there is the proper marketing and advertising set in place, a Rangers themed bar in certain areas would be a gold mine. I know marketing, Rangers are literally one of the best marketable names in the world. Massive literally.

If there is the proper marketing and advertising set in place, a Rangers themed bar in certain areas would be a gold mine. I know marketing, Rangers are literally one of the best marketable names in the world. Massive literally.
Maybe something along the lines of the Brewdog model may work, i.e. you have a couple of owners who then sell limited shares in the business in exchange for rewards

Very common here in Portugal for bars/cafes to be fan owned establishments and every penny of profit goes towards the club. They tend to be really well supported and prices are always on the cheapest side.

Stumbled across these 6 years ago and you would not know from any other business they were a football club fund raiser except when a game is on and then it gets mental.

I take it you know nothing about the pub game mate ? Not trying to be a smert arse but too many things to go wrong , Alex has pointed out one but there’s many and with the price of gas and electric it’s going to be a rough time for the poor publican over the next few years

It could be done but ultimately you would need to keep on revisiting the shareholder well for funds. Also running a successful pub/venue would require professionals, and even then no guarantee of success. Ask RM what it takes to run the louden and other FF Publicans and I think you would bin the idea relatively quickly. As a business owner myself, I couldn’t think of a harder game to get into at the moment, other than the chancellors PR company.

Reactions: TQ3
You know marketing, so you understand that every pound spent on that side has to be realised net on the till. Margins are tight and cash is king.

I take it you know nothing about the pub game mate ? Not trying to be a smert arse but too many things to go wrong , Alex has pointed out one but there’s many and with the price of gas and electric it’s going to be a rough time for the poor publican over the next few years
Yeah I know the bar game from a music business point of view mate so a little different I admit, but, I ran venues and some fantastic gigs etc. I honestly believe with a football connection and a great PR team, a bar has massive potential.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, you’ve lost me.

The OP asked a question, presumably to gauge a general interest level.

I’m just putting my tuppence worth in, that I wouldn’t be interested.
Just your reply was written in the way that chesney would reply in only an excuse.
No offence intended

Very common here in Portugal for bars/cafes to be fan owned establishments and every penny of profit goes towards the club. They tend to be really well supported and prices are always on the cheapest side.

Stumbled across these 6 years ago and you would not know from any other business they were a football club fund raiser except when a game is on and then it gets mental.
I’ve seen Benfica and Sporting bars here in Toronto. I wonder if they’re linked?

Is Rab selling Louden franchises?
He’d be daft not to. But there is a bigger picture available. Rangers are a HUGE name, seriously massively huge. There must be money to make while at same time promoting the good name of our club.

I’ve seen Benfica and Sporting bars here in Toronto. I wonder if they’re linked?
See between Toronto, Burlington and Niagara Falls (I’d even just drop Burlington part), they’d be a fortune to make. Toronto and Niagara Falls would do so well.

You know marketing, so you understand that every pound spent on that side has to be realised net on the till. Margins are tight and cash is king.
Yes I totally understand, but I still think that Rangers as a brand is powerful and would work.

See between Toronto, Burlington and Niagara Falls (I’d even just drop Burlington part), they’d be a fortune to make. Toronto and Niagara Falls would do so well.
Might not be as successful as you think mate. I doubt many of the current RSC who are run out of bars could sustain the attendance they get for games 24/7. Like all bars you’re going to be dependent on people who love close by and aren’t Bears in order to survive. So location would be critical. Bears over here, and Brits in general don’t live in one area the way other ethnicities do.

Last edited:
Might not be as successful as you think mate. I doubt many of the current RSC who are run out of bars could sustain the attendance they get for games 24/7. Like all bars you’re going to be dependent on people who love close by and aren’t Bears in order to survive. So location would be critical
Marketing and advertising is the main second thing after location mate, especially for non fans, It would work, not in all places, but in good places, it’ll work well.

Marketing and advertising is the main second thing after location mate, especially for non fans, It would work, not in all places, but in good places, it’ll work well.
I added this to my other post but one thing working against you is that Brits in general over here don’t concentrate in one area like the Italians, Portuguese, etc. We’re spread out all over the city and most people travel to the RSC to watch the game. They wouldn’t necessarily be regulars.

As someone who has ran pubs, it’s not a thing for shareholders, if you don’t have a single gaffer then you are at the mercy of the manager and the staff. The fiddles are still there because you aren’t in at the level of Spoons, so the ordering and stock are down to the manager, so is what money is declared, and what doesn’t make it from the till to the safe. If you have a fully computerised system that orders stock from the usage, you need a supplier connected. Of course as a free house you could get the breweries to supply the cellar kits and pipe cleaning equipment, and suppliers will provide fridges and display units, puggies and pool tables, but then they want you tied into a contract etc.
It’s a no from me.

As someone who has ran pubs, it’s not a thing for shareholders, if you don’t have a single gaffer then you are at the mercy of the manager and the staff. The fiddles are still there because you aren’t in at the level of Spoons, so the ordering and stock are down to the manager, so is what money is declared, and what doesn’t make it from the till to the safe. If you have a fully computerised system that orders stock from the usage, you need a supplier connected. Of course as a free house you could get the breweries to supply the cellar kits and pipe cleaning equipment, and suppliers will provide fridges and display units, puggies and pool tables, but then they want you tied into a contract etc.
It’s a no from me.
A good run bar, with brilliant promotion/marketing/advertising will work, especially if a great brand like Rangers. Because of computer systems, it is easy to see where every penny goes, people stealing shouldn’t be a problem. With correct marketing etc, a Rangers bar in various areas would work.

Might work in Scotland in certain areas but high risk and probably not further afield.
It was partly tried in London with Cock Tavern albeit only Rangers themed for games and events but didn’t work out. Need daily throughput to survive.
There are pubs near grounds in London clearly home supporting pubs but no themed bars. Even at Stamford Bridge Frankies is a general sports bar except match day

Might work in Scotland in certain areas but high risk and probably not further afield.
It was partly tried in London with Cock Tavern albeit only Rangers themed for games and events but didn’t work out. Need daily throughput to survive.
There are pubs near grounds in London clearly home supporting pubs but no themed bars. Even at Stamford Bridge Frankies is a general sports bar except match day
Love the post but wrong thread mate?

It surprises me, as posted on another thread, that Club 1872, the Fan Ownership Group, has not invested, in a "Fans Bar". RM has proved, with the superb Louden Tavern, that this can be a very successful business venture where profits in the main, could strengthen their shareholding, in RFC.

Last edited:
A good run bar, with brilliant promotion/marketing/advertising will work, especially if a great brand like Rangers. Because of computer systems, it is easy to see where every penny goes, people stealing shouldn’t be a problem. With correct marketing etc, a Rangers bar in various areas would work.
Promoting and advertising are a tiny part of running a bar. If the beer is warm, and the landlord is a prick, and can’t keep staff, you can advertise as much as you want, your pub will fail.
Anyone can rob you blind in a very short period if you don’t do monthly stock takes, putting the money through the till is optional if you haven’t got someone watching. And that’s Before you have a customer doing drugs in the bog, and the strange couple shagging in the toilets, etc etc.
There is a reason Rangers pubs are run by one gaffer, and not a chain. These people do it for the love of their business and Rangers.

No chance. So many of these themed pubs end up going belly up. Also, we can barely get 3 fans to agree on here about who the hottest character in brooklyn 99 is (diaz is the answer btw) let alone a committee of bears trying to run a business.

Whilst I like the idea there are too many potential pitfalls.

You automatically have a target on your back etc.

Was tried in London with Cock Tavern albeit only Rangers themed for games and events.
Needs to make money 7 days a week when no football etc and unfortunately didn’t work

After reading a few posts about a Rangers themed bar in areas around the world. If a Kickstarter type fundraising page was set up, would folk donate towards it all to sort out? Each payment would mean shares in bar. Would people be interested in such a thing?
Gran Canaria, and i will run it :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: TQ3
Promoting and advertising are a tiny part of running a bar. If the beer is warm, and the landlord is a prick, and can’t keep staff, you can advertise as much as you want, your pub will fail.
Anyone can rob you blind in a very short period if you don’t do monthly stock takes, putting the money through the till is optional if you haven’t got someone watching. And that’s Before you have a customer doing drugs in the bog, and the strange couple shagging in the toilets, etc etc.
There is a reason Rangers pubs are run by one gaffer, and not a chain. These people do it for the love of their business and Rangers.
It is very easy to make sure those downsides you have mentioned don’t happen. Chains are easy to look after for one person even, they just visit each place once a month and visit accountant every few days. I’ve certain work and business experience to believe I’m correct, but I also appreciate folks experienced, may know more than me.

Back