fan zone pitches up for sale ?

John McMahon

I'm reading that the old school pitches on Edminston drive are being put up for sale by GCC...it's on another forum
wondering if anyone knows more about it ?

They’ll charge us a fortune whereas if it were the eastern end they would get them free of charge!

To be fair, the land around the piggery is a worthless cesspit. Ibrox area is not too glamourous but you could put flats on it and they'd sell, for example.

Last edited:
If it’s offered for sale at a reasonable price we should purchase it. I’m sure if the supporters lead on this and are asked to contribute to help fund it we could do so. I’d imagine the city council would also be amenable to a community buy out as this is becoming common with councils who are disposing of community facilities that are no longer viable for councils.

We could make it available for use by the local community when it’s not required by ourselves. Such a scheme has been very successful in the village of Glenboig in North Lanarkshire who formed a community partnership to take on a local facility.

I'd hope the board are all over this and make sure that land comes into the club's ownership. And I have faith that they will want to make sure that's exactly what happens.

Rangers aren’t in a position to splash the cash around on a whim but buying up this site must be a priority?

It is perfect for development into some kind of fan zone and with the intention to move more presence back to Ibrox with the dressing room renovations etc then having a site across the road would mean you could have parking facilities close by.

Give the local community access to rooms, cafe and sports facilities and you have your community engagement sorted easily as well.

This is an opportunity to have a site for museum and general hospitality areas that many supporters have been seeking for what feels like decades now.

I live locally and never see it used so no surprise to see it being sold. We need to make sure we get it. Pity we blew the fighting fund on a stand at the HTC as this would have been the perfect way to spend the £500k
We didn't blow the fighting fund, we are using the money for changing facilities for the young lads that use HTC. The stand will be built on top of the Dressing rooms. We badly need these dressing rooms to accommodate the number of Kids that are using our Training facilities, so lets stop the nonsense that its money blown.

Rangers aren’t in a position to splash the cash around on a whim but buying up this site must be a priority?

It is perfect for development into some kind of fan zone and with the intention to move more presence back to Ibrox with the dressing room renovations etc then having a site across the road would mean you could have parking facilities close by.

Give the local community access to rooms, cafe and sports facilities and you have your community engagement sorted easily as well.

This is an opportunity to have a site for museum and general hospitality areas that many supporters have been seeking for what feels like decades now.
Good post.

I'd hope the board are all over this and make sure that land comes into the club's ownership. And I have faith that they will want to make sure that's exactly what happens.

100 per cent.

Club has to be all over this and apply as much political pressure as possible.

This land, and the Hinshwood Drive land all the way up to PRW could be used to incredible effect by the club for the club and community.

Walkway, cafes, fan zones, etc, would greatly enhance the area. Sick that we would have to bid for this land when the vermin got that whole walkway from Dalmarnick station paid for by GCC for 2014 games

But if King and board are serious about the 2022 project and 150 annieversary, we simply must get this land

The club - and the fans - should be scrutinising these developments very closely. After the carry-on with GCC last year over the fan zone, and their previous relaxed dealings with Celtic, we should be watching very closely. Anything other than a straightforward sale to us would be extremely iffy IMO.

Alfredo will be away in the summer for somewhere North of £15 million hopefully. Bid £500 000 of that and name the fan zone after him. His legacy to us. That would get a few knickers in a twist.

We should purchase it as a club and over time, redevelop it into a Reserve/Youth playing pitch with possibly small stand.

Right on top of Ibrox it would allow our teams to play in the shadow of Ibrox and play on a purpose built ground - similar to that of Real Madrid and so forth.

The HTC is great for training and games behind closed doors but it is time we engaged fans away from there for match days......this along with new shop at ground/museum etc would be perfect for gaining further revenue.

Rangers and or Club1872 would be negligent to let this pass without trying to buy it.
I hope that club1872 and the board/stewart Robertson are in talks about buying this land.
As long as both know it’s a priority and it doesn’t get sold before we can exert some pressure as to why Celtic get preferential treatment for land around their stadium and we don’t even get offered this land.
We get treated with contempt as we seen recently with the council as regards to the emails between Robertson and the council.
Shocking comments from people in public office.

We didn't blow the fighting fund, we are using the money for changing facilities for the young lads that use HTC. The stand will be built on top of the Dressing rooms. We badly need these dressing rooms to accommodate the number of Kids that are using our Training facilities, so lets stop the nonsense that its money blown.

I am sorry but that is nonsense. This should have came out of either Rangers budget or the Rangers Youth Development budget who coin in a fortune from rising stars and lotto each year

I am sorry but that is nonsense. This should have came out of either Rangers budget or the Rangers Youth Development budget who coin in a fortune from rising stars and lotto each year
What parts nonsense

After the immediate round of ream strengthening our club should prioritise the purchase of this property. At the very least we should receive a modest/favourable price after all the cheap deals and giveaways that the poets have gathered in. The club can also offer a degree of community use depending on what they could propose for the site. I would really like to see this done and believe it would enhance the future for the club and the supporters.

Questioned at the AGM about the blocking of the fan zone, I can't remember the exact words used, but Robertson said that there was much better engagement with the GCC officials at a higher level than with local councillors.

I took from the response that something was being worked on that would enable us to use it for a fan zone in due course. I also vaguely recall some chat about us taking over the complex, developing it & sharing it with the local community whilst also using it as a fan zone.

If it now transpires that it is for sale and is going to the highest bidder it's the perfect get out for GCC - we don't get our fan zone, we are denied extra income & they can point to a "fair" process of selling it on the market.

I really do hope we have somehow managed to ring fence the future use of the complex during all of this "better engagement" that has apparently been going on...unfortunately I fear the worst.

What parts nonsense

The fact that we didn't blow it on a facility that the club should really have paid for years ago in the 1st place. The money was raised for tougher issues than that.

It is a good facility but I don't agree with how it was spent and we are going to have to agree to disagree.

This should have been a RFFF purchase instead of a stand and dressing rooms imho. This would have been a lasting legacy for the supporters rather than a building that hardly anyone will use away up in Milngavie.

It's not for sale,they are also looking at closing it a couple of more days a week because of lack of use to save money,staff members hours will be cut or relocated to other venues on the days it's closed.

The council have no intentions of doing anything with it to upgrade it due to the huge costs involved in upgrading the facilities and laying a new pitch, this was all self inflicted by those in charge and you really have to ask why ?

Almost every facility like the Ibrox complex throughout Glasgow has been upgraded or new pitches laid. Petershill,Nethercraigs,Toryglen and the Palace of arts have all been upgraded more than once in the last few years, the Ibrox complex seems to be the only one that hasn't been touched for over 10 years and the pitch is in a shocking condition.

What's more pathetic is the complex is built on which was Ibrox primary school land, part of the conditions when the complex was built that the kids in the school would get acccess anytime during school hours for football and PE lessons,that's all been stopped for a number of years now despite many complaints from the school itself.

To show you the kind of people running and being in charge of the Ibrox complex,Glasgow life,they claim it's not cost effective to upgrade because it get's little use. Well shock horror.. The reason it has so little use is because hiring pitches in any of the above venues costs the exact same as hiring the Ibrox complex with the difference being these other facilities are fit for purpose and have excellent playing surfaces as well as other facilities.

In the world of fast developing artificial pitches, 3G or 4G and FIFA approved and of which many in Glasgow are, the Ibrox complex is akin to what pitches and the quality of them were like 20 yrs ago and a great advert for past and present pitches.

To those running and in charge of making decsions on upgrading,perhaps instead of saying "It doesn't get much use" Perhaps engage your brain and ask why it doesn't get used much, you could even just look around it and see why it doesn't get used much,perhaps instead of ignoring the complex,why don't you all just upgrade it like you have done with every other Glasgow life pitch, then again perhaps if we could just move it a couple of miles along the road it would have already been upgraded.

It's where it's location is which is the problem and if it isn't then why has every other Glasgow life facility had plenty of money pumped into them and upgraded while the Ibrox complex has been ignored, Toryglen has just had a new outdoor 11's pitch laid,the old pitch which it replaces was down for 4 yrs... Go figure.

It's not for sale,they are also looking at closing it a couple of more days a week because of lack of use to save money,staff members hours will be cut or relocated to other venues on the days it's closed.

The council have no intentions of doing anything with it to upgrade it due to the huge costs involved in upgrading the facilities and laying a new pitch, this was all self inflicted by those in charge and you really have to ask why ?

Almost every facility like the Ibrox complex throughout Glasgow has been upgraded or new pitches laid. Petershill,Nethercraigs,Toryglen and the Palace of arts have all been upgraded more than once in the last few years, the Ibrox complex seems to be the only one that hasn't been touched for over 10 years and the pitch is in a shocking condition.

What's more pathetic is the complex is built on which was Ibrox primary school land, part of the conditions when the complex was built that the kids in the school would get acccess anytime during school hours for football and PE lessons,that's all been stopped for a number of years now despite many complaints from the school itself.

To show you the kind of people running and being in charge of the Ibrox complex,Glasgow life,they claim it's not cost effective to upgrade because it get's little use. Well shock horror.. The reason it has so little use is because hiring pitches in any of the above venues costs the exact same as hiring the Ibrox complex with the difference being these other facilities are fit for purpose and have excellent playing surfaces as well as other facilities.

In the world of fast developing artificial pitches, 3G or 4G and FIFA approved and of which many in Glasgow are, the Ibrox complex is akin to what pitches and the quality of them were like 20 yrs ago and a great advert for past and present pitches.

To those running and in charge of making decsions on upgrading,perhaps instead of saying "It doesn't get much use" Perhaps engage your brain and ask why it doesn't get used much, you could even just look around it and see why it doesn't get used much,perhaps instead of ignoring the complex,why don't you all just upgrade it like you have done with every other Glasgow life pitch, then again perhaps if we could just move it a couple of miles along the road it would have already been upgraded.

It's where it's location is which is the problem and if it isn't then why has every other Glasgow life facility had plenty of money pumped into them and upgraded while the Ibrox complex has been ignored, Toryglen has just had a new outdoor 11's pitch laid,the old pitch which it replaces was down for 4 yrs... Go figure.
If they don’t use it and won’t upgrade it I’d imagine they will be happy to dispose of it. Politically it will suit them too.

Back