Fantastic new book about the history of the Orange Order in Glasgow

mdingwall

Administrator

Author Jon MacDonald has done a great job in this well written and wonderfully illustrated book - starting from the first lodge in Glasgow being formed right up to the modern day. Some 200 years.

It gives a great insight into the reality of lodge life - not the sensationalism so often seen in the press - and the great work and characters the Glasgow Orange has produced.

It’s written in a lively style that doesn’t compromise it’s historical rigour or accuracy - as well as being an insight into the Orange Order in the city it provides a wonderful sidelight to the social history of the city and Scotland as a whole.

I can’t recommend it highly enough.

£9.99 plus £3 postage UK.

PAYPAL SALES LINK FOR THE UK- https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrangeHistoryBookUK

New links for overseas postage added.

New links which have separate postage rates for Europe and the Rest of the World.

https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrangeBookEurope

https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrangeBookROTW

For European or Rest Of The World postage please make a Paypal payment for either £15.99 0r £19.99 to the Paypal account glasgoworangefest@gmail.com

New 100 page perfect bound book on the History of Orangeism in Glasgow titled 'To greet my Glasgow Brethren’ The book is a must read for anyone with an interest in the Institution. The book can be purchased through a number of outlets including Schomberg House in Belfast and also through the County Grand Orange Lodge of Glasgow mobile app.

Last edited:
I received 2 copies of this today that belong to some other poor sod. They were posted to a neighbour at his address so he opened the package then realised they were not his. Looking at the name he assumed it must be mine due to me having the same surname and posted them through my door. They are addressed to a flat but there are no flats on my street, however, the postcode is correct. Any ideas how I can get these to their rightful owner?

I received 2 copies of this today that belong to some other poor sod. They were posted to a neighbour at his address so he opened the package then realised they were not his. Looking at the name he assumed it must be mine due to me having the same surname and posted them through my door. They are addressed to a flat but there are no flats on my street, however, the postcode is correct. Any ideas how I can get these to their rightful owner?

Drop me a PM with the details.

Author Jon MacDonald has done a great job in this well written and wonderfully illustrated book - starting from the first lodge in Glasgow being formed right up to the modern day. Some 200 years.

It gives a great insight into the reality of lodge life - not the sensationalism so often seen in the press - and the great work and characters the Glasgow Orange has produced.

It’s written in a lively style that doesn’t compromise it’s historical rigour or accuracy - as well as being an insight into the Orange Order in the city it provides a wonderful sidelight to the social history of the city and Scotland as a whole.

For European or Rest Of The World postage please make a Paypal payment for either £15.99 0r £19.99 to the Paypal account glasgoworangefest@gmail.com

New 100 page perfect bound book on the History of Orangeism in Glasgow titled 'To greet my Glasgow Brethren’ The book is a must read for anyone with an interest in the Institution. The book can be purchased through a number of outlets including Schomberg House in Belfast and also through the County Grand Orange Lodge of Glasgow mobile app.

Thanks for the heads up. As PM of LOL 652 Medway Martyrs I'll look into this.

Can you buy the book from the Caley book shop, or where is the Grand Lodge in Glasgow, Wife was in it, and my Uncle and Cousins were in the OL/Blacks?

Can you buy the book from the Caley book shop, or where is the Grand Lodge in Glasgow, Wife was in it, and my Uncle and Cousins were in the OL/Blacks?

The King Billy Shop is in the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland building at 13 Olympia Street, Glasgow - it’s right across the road from Bridgeton train station. The shop is open Mon-Friday.

I think it’s open 10 to 4 - you can check by calling ahead - 0141 414 1418

The King Billy Shop is in the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland building at 13 Olympia Street, Glasgow - it’s right across the road from Bridgeton train station. The shop is open Mon-Friday.

I think it’s open 10 to 4 - you can check by calling ahead - 0141 414 1418
Thanks.

Bro McDonald is a frequent visitor to my own Lodge and im told my District(49) and Past Grandmaster Bro Tommy Orr feature heavily. I might pop over tommorrow for a copy

Still waiting on my copy I ordered it at the end of November but still not had it delivered yet

Mark am able to purchase this from Olympia house

I know off topic but does the Orange Lodge do things for family trees? I am not quite sure some of my ancestors in Govan were in the Orange Lodge but is there a way you can check it out ?

I know off topic but does the Orange Lodge do things for family trees? I am not quite sure some of my ancestors in Govan were in the Orange Lodge but is there a way you can check it out ?

It depends very much on the quality of record keeping in individual lodges or districts.

looking back at say Grand Lodge returns in the 1800s you can usually spot a pattern in lodges where certain families were leaders - they will list the Master and Secretary, meeting place, the money paid to Grand Lodge A’s returns on members. You also get snippets in the Grand Lodge Reports in their Proceedings.

Govan is-was a large and well-organised district so decent lodge records may have survived. Some names might be a starting point.

Back