Fantastic new book about the history of the Orange Order in Glasgow

Thanks Mark the book arrived today. I can’t praise the book highly enough. If you have friends , family or anyone who has a soft spot for the order. Then this book is a great read and a wonderful present.

Author Jon MacDonald has done a great job in this well written and wonderfully illustrated book - starting from the first lodge in Glasgow being formed right up to the modern day. Some 200 years.

It gives a great insight into the reality of lodge life - not the sensationalism so often seen in the press - and the great work and characters the Glasgow Orange has produced.

It’s written in a lively style that doesn’t compromise it’s historical rigour or accuracy - as well as being an insight into the Orange Order in the city it provides a wonderful sidelight to the social history of the city and Scotland as a whole.

I can’t recommend it highly enough.

£9.99 plus £3 postage UK.

PAYPAL SALES LINK FOR THE UK- https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrangeHistoryBookUK

Ordered.

For European or Rest Of The World postage please make a Paypal payment for either £15.99 0r £19.99 to the Paypal account glasgoworangefest@gmail.com

New 100 page perfect bound book on the History of Orangeism in Glasgow titled 'To greet my Glasgow Brethren’ The book is a must read for anyone with an interest in the Institution. The book can be purchased through a number of outlets including Schomberg House in Belfast and also through the County Grand Orange Lodge of Glasgow mobile app.

The Journal of Orange History has just been published and is available from GOLI at Schomberg House. But be quick I understand that they are closing down (because of COVID) on Friday.

Not sure if this has been noted before, The grand lodge of Canada is celebrating their 200 years of existence with their annual parade in Toronto this summer. In July of course, I am not a member however my sympathies are totally in favour with them. I hope to attend and walk with them.

Lot of sales were made yesterday - the County Secretary will be posting them out over the next few days.

Today, when Glasgow would normally be hosting the Boyne Celebrations, members and supporters can still help the Orange Institution in the city by purchasing Jon MacDonald's excellent historical account of Orangeism in Glasgow.

The Right Worthy County Grand Master Brother Edward McGonnell, accompanied by lone flautist Gary Wright of the Black Skull Corps of Fife and Drum, on behalf of the members of the County Grand Orange Lodge of Glasgow, laid a wreath at the Cenotaph this morning in George Square in tribute to the Fallen.

The Right Worthy County Grand Master Brother Edward McGonnell, accompanied by lone flautist Gary Wright of the Black Skull Corps of Fife and Drum, on behalf of the members of the County Grand Orange Lodge of Glasgow, laid a wreath at the Cenotaph this morning in George Square in tribute to the Fallen.
A good man is Eddie

My copy arrived yesterday but not allowed to read it until my birthday which is conveniently on the 12th July.

Although never having been a member I have attended the Glasgow demonstration many many times ( minus the blue bag ). My first recollection was the late 60's when my Granny stayed in the flats at Cathedral Square or as my aunt called it Ladywell. My memory was that the walk came up High Street then down John Knox Street and into Duke Street although it may have just been a feeder parade.

This was the album i grew up listening to and i still have a copy. Can anyone confirm if the front cover is Glasgow High Street as i was always under the impression it was showing the nurses from the infirmary in the bottom left corner but it could also be Belfast ?

R-1087731-1335281109.jpeg.jpg

Thank you,bro. Received my copy on Tuesday. Excellent read.

To think I should be marshalling up at Corn St. just about now.

God willing,same time,same place next year.

My copy arrived yesterday but not allowed to read it until my birthday which is conveniently on the 12th July.

Although never having been a member I have attended the Glasgow demonstration many many times ( minus the blue bag ). My first recollection was the late 60's when my Granny stayed in the flats at Cathedral Square or as my aunt called it Ladywell. My memory was that the walk came up High Street then down John Knox Street and into Duke Street although it may have just been a feeder parade.

This was the album i grew up listening to and i still have a copy. Can anyone confirm if the front cover is Glasgow High Street as i was always under the impression it was showing the nurses from the infirmary in the bottom left corner but it could also be Belfast ?

R-1087731-1335281109.jpeg.jpg
I think that you will find the Lodge featured is Commodore Watson's True Blues LOL149 and that the picture was taken in Belfast.
Watson was, if I remember correctly the County Grand Master of Belfast in mid 19th century, although there was a Commodore Watson associated with Lisburn in 1798. I would have to do further research

I think that you will find the Lodge featured is Commodore Watson's True Blues LOL149 and that the picture was taken in Belfast.
Watson was, if I remember correctly the County Grand Master of Belfast in mid 19th century, although there was a Commodore Watson associated with Lisburn in 1798. I would have to do further research

Cheers for clarifying that. There is a photo on the back cover which is Belfast.

I will wager the photo is taken on the Lisburn Road. The old Samaritans hospital halfway down the right hand side of the picture.

Author Jon MacDonald has done a great job in this well written and wonderfully illustrated book - starting from the first lodge in Glasgow being formed right up to the modern day. Some 200 years.

It gives a great insight into the reality of lodge life - not the sensationalism so often seen in the press - and the great work and characters the Glasgow Orange has produced.

It’s written in a lively style that doesn’t compromise it’s historical rigour or accuracy - as well as being an insight into the Orange Order in the city it provides a wonderful sidelight to the social history of the city and Scotland as a whole.

I can’t recommend it highly enough.

£9.99 plus £3 postage UK.

PAYPAL SALES LINK FOR THE UK- https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrangeHistoryBookUK

New links for overseas postage added.

New links which have separate postage rates for Europe and the Rest of the World.

https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrangeBookEurope

https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrangeBookROTW

For European or Rest Of The World postage please make a Paypal payment for either £15.99 0r £19.99 to the Paypal account glasgoworangefest@gmail.com

New 100 page perfect bound book on the History of Orangeism in Glasgow titled 'To greet my Glasgow Brethren’ The book is a must read for anyone with an interest in the Institution. The book can be purchased through a number of outlets including Schomberg House in Belfast and also through the County Grand Orange Lodge of Glasgow mobile app.
Purchased

Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland launches Radio Boyne app

Just purchased a copy, don’t know how I missed this before. Look forward to reading it.

Statement from the Manchester Provincial Benevolent Fund
Unfortunately, this year, the 330th anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne in 2020 will not be marked by public demonstrations or the pageantry that we often associate with the 12th July.
However, while our flutes and drums may remain silent and we stay at home, it is in these difficult times that we have seen Orange Lodges up and down the country loudly practicing the faith and charity that they profess.
As always, the Benevolent Fund is active and willing to support any member of the Province that finds themselves in need of support and we would encourage members to keep in touch with members of their Lodges during these hard times.
The Benevolent Fund has this year commissioned commemorative mugs which can now be ordered as we prepare to celebrate the 12th at home. The cost of a mug is £7 (£10 if delivery is required) and each mug sold will contribute towards raising money for the Benevolent Fund. Please contact myself or Brother Scott Kerr if you would like to purchase one.
“And now abideth faith, hope, charity; these three; but the greatest of these is charity.” 1 Corinthians 13:13
Brother Samuel Rimmer
Chairman, Board of Trustees

Back