FARE alert for Lyon game on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still heard songs about Bobby Sands during the game.

Tbh I don't think we'll ever iradicate this stuff, what chance have you got when there's too many that don't care about the circumstances.

Nothing much to bother about tonight even for an old handwringer like me.

Bobby Sands? I’ve said before that the concept of my teenage kids singing about this would be cringey, dated & hugely embarrassing. But as our neighbours would have it…that’s political !

Still heard songs about Bobby Sands during the game.

Tbh I don't think we'll ever iradicate this stuff, what chance have you got when there's too many that don't care about the circumstances.
The first few minutes were great with the whole stadium joining in Rangers songs , then the Union bears lurched into the Ulster/Sands/IRA megamix and that was that for the rest of the 90 mins sadly . Vast majority of decent bears just aren’t engaged in singing about terror groups and dead terrorists at our games

Last edited:
A nice way of saying it was pish mate hahah.

Probably the worst atmosphere for a European game in a while.

Take BF1 out the equation you’d probably hear the players shouts.
Definitely when you consider it was a good team we were facing.
When the teams used to come out at Ibrox the place was deafening,now every other person has their phone out taking photos.

What type of comment is that?

You can nark away at fellow fans but we could be on the verge of suffering the absolute humiliation of having a stadium closure due to this shit.

It's inevitable thought tbh, as you've beautifully illustrated there's too many that just don't care.
For people mentioning Bobby Sands? OK mate. Maybe I'm not a bed wetter. Nothing tonight would get us into trouble but that still not enough for you or posters like you is it? What is it you and want exactly? No Unionism? No loyalist connotations? What's the end game here?

Last edited:
Plus - no songs to get Fare’s knickers in a twist tonight
Minus - their very presence is like a dead fish, killing the atmosphere.

Doubt anything would get us into trouble as the atmosphere never existed, just the lonely beat of a drum from where I sit in GR lol

You can nark away at fellow fans but we could be on the verge of suffering the absolute humiliation of having a stadium closure due to this shit.

It's inevitable thought tbh, as you've beautifully illustrated there's too many that just don't care.

Hope you have a McDonald's in Carlisle.

Obviously Robert didn't have one in Belfast!!

Stadium closed because Bobby Sands was (extremely briefly) mentioned? Seriously, piss off.

I think the atmosphere was due to us all waiting on the inevitable, we done better than I thought we would and the volume was good after kent and Lundstrum attempts

The first few minutes were great with the whole stadium joining in Rangers songs , then the Union bears lurched into the Ulster megamix and that was that for the rest of the 90 mins sadly . Vast majority of decent bears just aren’t engaged in singing about terror groups and dead terrorists at our games

A fxxking embarrassment mate.

And they have the cheek to feel all hard done by because they are not getting their own standing section.

For people mentioning Bobby Sands? OK mate. Maybe I'm not a bed wetter. Nothing tonight would get us into trouble but that still not enough for you or posters like you is it? What is it you and want exactly? No Unionism? No loyalist connotations? What's the end game here?
I'm far from worried about this or a bed wetter, but can you give the rest of us just one good reason why we as Rangers fans should be singing songs about Bobby Sands 40 years after he died?

The first few minutes were great with the whole stadium joining in Rangers songs , then the Union bears lurched into the Ulster megamix and that was that for the rest of the 90 mins sadly . Vast majority of decent bears just aren’t engaged in singing about terror groups and dead terrorists at our games

Was one or two moments I cringed at the Union Bears and thought they should know better by now…

Fair play to them for creating an atmosphere but they should be leading change and promoting more Rangers songs (without the add ons…). Once you get a little older, you lose the will to sing songs that bear little resemblance to a football match in Glasgow.

I'm far from worried about this or a bed wetter, but can you give the rest of us just one good reason why we as Rangers fans should be singing songs about Bobby Sands 40 years after he died?
He won’t be able to mate because there isn’t one . It’s a perpetual embarrassment of a song, he’s sung about more than anyone else , any manager , player , founding fathers , yes Bobby Sands gets more airtime at Rangers games than any other person in history . It’s just not right

He won’t be able to mate because there isn’t one . It’s a perpetual embarrassment of a song, he’s sung about more than anyone else , any manager , player , founding fathers , yes Bobby Sands gets more airtime at Rangers games than any other person in history . It’s just not right
You're on this thread as well you absolute weirdo. The atmosphere tonight has to be one of the worst I've experienced in Europe for a long time. Nobody singing. Very strange

As far as I know his name is mentioned only once in an add on in one of the songs so I think your're going just a little bit over the top to say he gets more airtime than any other person in History.
Full marks for trying though.

Grown men as well . Building gallows to be hung from for “ fighting the IRA” from their living rooms in Glasgow . It’s beyond embarrassing and has been for years . And I’ll guarantee you we won’t get past the 20 minute mark on Thursday without the IRA or Sands getting a mention. As you say utterly soul destroying that we are still having to have that discussion and can’t enjoy a game of football without worrying that the FTP Tourette’s will kill the club

You're on this thread as well you absolute weirdo. The atmosphere tonight has to be one of the worst I've experienced in Europe for a long time. Nobody singing. Very strange
Hes a troll mate ignore.

As far as I know his name is mentioned only once in an add on in one of the songs so I think your're going just a little bit over the top to say he gets more airtime than any other person in History.
Full marks for trying though.
Tbf, players and managers come and go so have a limited time of being sung about.

A

And they have the cheek to feel all hard done by because they are not getting their own standing section.
Couldn’t make the game and I usually back the UBs 100% but that’s exactly what I was thinking watching the game listening to BMGs on loop for most of the first half.

We got back from the players what we gave in atmosphere tonight. Lacklustre, slow, frustrated. Felt the groans from the crowd every time the ball was knocked around the back influenced a number of poor decisions made by players tonight, particularly Davis who looked like he was trying too hard to lift the atmosphere at times.

I wonder how many folk on this thread greeting about a situation they have made in their own little heads have actually been to a game

Wait till it hits 50 years. Some will probably put on a torch display!

The Irish famine was 1850s so the initial immigrants children were probably too young to play football.
There have been waves of Irish migration to Scotland for hundreds of years.

The Famine was around 1844 and Rangers we founded in 1873.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back