Farthest you have ever walked to see the Famous Glasgow Rangers?

I've lived 300 miles south since 1966, & every trip back is a journey. Cannae claim to ever have walked it, but I've hitch hiked which involved plenty walking. Does that count?
(Nowadays, getting up to the Club Deck damn near asphyxiates me!)

Walked regularly back from Ibrox to Paisley when a schoolboy as the queues for the buses were horrendous. Sometimes walked to Ibrox also.

Central station to Parkhead probably. Nothing impressive.

PS I can be a bit of an anorak, apologies. The only 2-0 win over the sheep at home in the early 90s on a Saturday I can think of were in 1990 when Mark Walters scored a cracker, or the last day title decider in 1991. Can think of a couple more 2-0s in the next 2 or 3 years but they were midweek. I'm sure you would have said if it was that amazing last day title party. You think it might be this one?

Many thanks for posting that, and do not apologise as I am a bit of an anorak too! I was at the games you mentioned. It was not the Jan 1990 one as It was still daylight when I got home,neither was it the 1991 game as I went with pals and a good few bevvies were taken celebrating. I will need to try and check this, cos all details are what i recall, maybe it was a year or two later than i thought. Sleepless night coming up!:confused:

I've lived 300 miles south since 1966, & every trip back is a journey. Cannae claim to ever have walked it, but I've hitch hiked which involved plenty walking. Does that count?
(Nowadays, getting up to the Club Deck damn near asphyxiates me!)
Great try, but no. Seems my walk is nowt to what other bears have done, see above. And I would rather walk what I did than walk up to the Club Deck-blue murder!:)

City centre to the Piggery and back a few times.
Done that a good few times , fun and games at Glasgow Cross.
Walked back from Hampden to Corkerhill after 1980 SCF as a 15 yr old. Mum in the house worried sick because I took so long , thought I got caught up in a riot or something :) truth be told left right at the whistle didn't know about it till she told me.

Me and a school mate walked from Coatbridge to the piggery and back to see Dundee Utd play the bheasts. Im guessing we werent playing that day as we never missed a game. I reckon it was around 1970. The game finished 1 1 and we had a great time giving abuse to the mentally challengeds on the way home.

I guess it was about 12 miles each way.

Just checked on line. The game was played on 10th April 1971. Rangers were playing Dundee at Dens. Dont know why I didnt go there.

I've read about fans walking from Greenock to Dundee during the 20's :oops:

Central station to Hampden is the furthest I think I've done.

Walking round Amsterdam for about 15 hours in 96 might not count!!
The mushrooms are ace tho eh..

Obviously the fans wont be around to tell the tales now but can imagine during the likes of 1930's and in the throes of the Great Depression fans likely endured some serious hardships and traveled by hook or crook to see their team still.

Some of the posters of years gone by like Ayrshire Billy Boy would no doubt have tales and anecdotes of the distant past

from drumchapel and back twice
Just the once but I was 10 and learned my lesson. Mind you my wee cousin was 7 and I don't think he ever forgave me.

Edit Just done the google map thing and our route was a 17 mile round trip, with no food or drink. Or bus fare hence the walk.

Pocket money loyal.

Last edited:
Not by foot but years ago, some members from our club have cycled from Ballynahinch, Co.Down to Ibrox via Larne (ferry to Troon) to Ibrox! Probably around 100 miles but each year we done it to raise money for different charities & to support Rangers!

The arse end of Chesser avenue where the buses used to park for tynecastle was a boot of a hoof,,,
Apart from that Main Street Thornliebank,,,,,had to,bus fare got spent on Merrydown,,,

6 miles from Dennistoun to Ibrox - and then the 6 miles back home after it as well. We were playing a midweek game against Dundee in 1968 and I only had the boys gate admission money. I was too old for a 'lift o'er' by that time.

Last edited:
Auchinairn to Ibrox, I was about 13/14, kept the bus fare for 5 fags and fritters! done that a few times. Other times would be bus into Springburn and walk it from there.

Another one was the football special train from Dundee station to Dens/ Tannadice......walk from the station up through Hilltown which was aptly named!! mustve been a couple of miles to get there.

Newington in south Edinburgh to Tynecastle or easter road, both about 5 miles round trip.

Was the 181 full?
I have walked home from Hampden back to Calderwood, but never to and from Ibrox. That’s crazy shit, right there.

From Castlemilk to Ibrox and back again. About 6 miles either way.

Last game of 2000/1 season when we beat Hibs 5-0.

Albertz and Tugay’s last game?

As a 11 year old, my pal and I used to walk from Shawlands to Ibrox. Not really far, but not sure an 11 year old would be allowed to do it now.

My school mate from millerston & myself from riddrie, walked to Ibrox in ths late 60's - when we were 12 or 13 years old -
I think it was a bus strike that caused it & I think it was for a 1-1 all draw against hiv's

We met up with other school mates at the game & got a train for part of the way back - no idea what station we got on - but got off at alexandra parade- which still gave us a fair trek home from there

Obviously not in the same league as some of the distances above - but can still remember the event from that age - even if it wasn't marathon proportions

When I was 16 , I was at college in Aberdeen so I got the train down on the Saturday morning , walked from queen street to the brendanbowl , which I’m told is about 4 miles ?
it was mojo s first match v them , I think it was a 1-1 draw

My son has a flat beside Mount Florida so walked from there to Ibrox and back last season, was spring time and was a fine walk and good not getting caught up in the Ibrox traffic snarl or queuing for the UG, picked up a couple of cans to keep us going on the way there but felt a right jakey walking the streets slugging out of a can. We were bit more reserved coming back and stopped in by a very nice hotel that looked like a castle sitting on top of a wee hill.

Just checked the hotel was appropriately the Sherbrooke Castle !

Reading the posts on this thread - where a few have mentioned charity events involving sponsorship - makes me think this could be a way of raising cash for Erskine (or similar)

Fans cold walk from whatever starting point they decide on
(probably from home or further - depending on distance &/or ambition)
& 'register' at various staging points / milestones on route - with a finishing point at the stadium on a match day - or a variation of this

I regret I'm not available to organise this -
& I won't promise to walk from home ( I live 492 miles from Ibrox) but I'll gladly replicate my previous journey as a 12 year old & walk from riddrie to Ibrox - which will be enough of a journey for my age group

This is only a suggestion by the way & I'm sure others do similar works all year round - but it does sound to me that this might work

As a kid Partick to Ibrox, not far you might say but we had the dreaded Govan ferry to transport us across the Clyde.
Super staunch points when it was full of bears and the wee ferry was nigh on capsizing.

There was an old boy, Mr Smith (I think) who used to walk from Clarkston to Ibrox & back every game. He used to get the supporters bus for away games to the Piggery.

We used to walk from Clarkston to Hampden any time there was a game there.

I am looking for "staunch" points!! I once walked from my home in East Kilbride to Ibrox to watch Rangers v Sheep, and back again! A distance of 22 miles. It was iirc about 1992 or thereabouts, was a Saturday, and we scudded them 2-0.
It was I think about April time, a crisp, sunny day, with some snow showers up where I stayed. My car was sitting outside, and thought, as you do, sod it, I am walking it!
It took me 2.30 hours to get to Ibrox and 2.45 hours to go back. I was in my mid thirties then and fit as a fiddle. I am thinking next spring of doing it again, just there, then as I am a member of the Bus Pass Loyal, bus it home. Maybe do it for MND and another charity. BTW I stayed for 90 minutes! Anyone else been that crazy! Surely, it is FF!:D:D

Walked from Glasgow city centre to East Kilbride years ago when we had about 3 foot of snow and the roads were a no go , had to get home from work so had no other option , but to do it there and back for the football is mental :D fair play to you OP.

Furthest I think I’ve walked to a game is Glasgow central to Ibrox on a scorching summers day a few years back.

Back