Farthest you have ever walked to see the Famous Glasgow Rangers?

I am looking for "staunch" points!! I once walked from my home in East Kilbride to Ibrox to watch Rangers v Sheep, and back again! A distance of 22 miles. It was iirc about 1992 or thereabouts, was a Saturday, and we scudded them 2-0.
It was I think about April time, a crisp, sunny day, with some snow showers up where I stayed. My car was sitting outside, and thought, as you do, sod it, I am walking it!
It took me 2.30 hours to get to Ibrox and 2.45 hours to go back. I was in my mid thirties then and fit as a fiddle. I am thinking next spring of doing it again, just there, then as I am a member of the Bus Pass Loyal, bus it home. Maybe do it for MND and another charity. BTW I stayed for 90 minutes! Anyone else been that crazy! Surely, it is FF!:D:D

I was going to say I walked home from Ibrox to Renfrew after a match, but East Kilbride is just nuts. You must’ve been in agony!

I was going to say I walked home from Ibrox to Renfrew after a match, but East Kilbride is just nuts. You must’ve been in agony!
As a young apprentice used to walk from Hyndland to Ibrox and back, with a stop at a watering hole in Argyll Street. Happy days

Probably the Emirates tourney in 2009. Well not strictly walking to the game, but got extremely drunk and walked about for what felt like hours trying to find our hotel.

I walked through the Clyde tunnel from Thornwood to go to an Old Firm game, I had a raging hangover and it wasn’t until I emerged from the tunnel did it dawn on me that I was at their end. Walked past all those fuckers getting off their busses!

From Tollcross Glasgow to Ibrox and back in the early to mid 70's I think it was , all i remember that it was against Dundee and can't remember the reason why we had to walk

The square to the stadium in Leipzig. Was supposed to be a 15 minute walk!

Aye was it fùck like, we had the supporters bus in too the edge of the park, that was a long enough trek :)

The steps up to the stadium near done me in, made worse being covered in snow.

Me and a school mate walked from Coatbridge to the piggery and back to see Dundee Utd play the bheasts. Im guessing we werent playing that day as we never missed a game. I reckon it was around 1970. The game finished 1 1 and we had a great time giving abuse to the mentally challengeds on the way home.

I guess it was about 12 miles each way.

Me and my wee pal walked from the Gallowgate to Ibrox every game when we were just 11 years old.
I was born behind the Louden in Duke Street ( Glenpark Street ) When from about the age of 3 until I was 8, it was a common thing to walk to Ibrox and back. We were not unusual at that time.
Once walked to Ibrox from Barlanark then back into town and 41 Bus home ( was about 10 )

back in the day when I was young and healthy late 60,s early 70,s we walked to tynecastle ,Easter road ,from waverly station ,along with thousands of bears .

Reactions: o7o
When younger me and a mate walked from my house in Glenburn Paisley to Ibrox leaving at midnight. We got there about 3 or 4 am and queued at the old ticket office next to main doors for Aberdeen away tickets. Got tickets and walked to Govan Cross and bus home.

Great Sheep team then and we got gubbed 2-0 but Beach End was bouncing.

Good times

I used to share an office with someone whose grandfather cycled from Quarter to Hampden to see Accies play Rangers in the 1935 Scottish Cup Final.

Thanks for posting the video pal. That surely must be the largest crowd that the Accies have ever played in front of? Alas, when you see it in black and white, you, and please forgive me, could be mistaken for vermin fc. Once again my apologies, and good luck to your team, fans and manager.:))

2 guys I know well into their late 60's when they were teenagers maybe 13/14 told their parents they were going camping in woods maybe 4/5 miles away from their coastal fishing village in Aberdeenshire but actually made there way to Perth/Perthshire still staying in their tent then took the train to Easter Road to see the Rangers went home after 5 days........ This happened in the early 1960's but still a cracking story of the lengths some fans go to

Last edited:
I was born behind the Louden in Duke Street ( Glenpark Street ) When from about the age of 3 until I was 8, it was a common thing to walk to Ibrox and back. We were not unusual at that time.
Once walked to Ibrox from Barlanark then back into town and 41 Bus home ( was about 10 )

"We were not unusual at the time"? LOL

Thanks for posting the video pal. That surely must be the largest crowd that the Accies have ever played in front of? Alas, when you see it in black and white, you, and please forgive me, could be mistaken for vermin fc. Once again my apologies, and good luck to your team, fans and manager.:))
Interesting point. 87,840, according to Wikipedia. About double the attendance of our previous final, v Celtic, at Ibrox. Could well be.

2 guys I know well into their late 60's when they were teenagers maybe 13/14 told their parents they were going camping in woods maybe 4/5 miles away from their coastal fishing village in Aberdeenshire but actually made there way to Perth/Perthshire still staying in their tent then took the train to Easter Road to see the Rangers went home after 5 days........ This happened in the early 1960's but still a cracking story of the lengths dome fans go to
Brilliant story Jigs, making me feel rather lazy now! :rolleyes:

I am looking for "staunch" points!! I once walked from my home in East Kilbride to Ibrox to watch Rangers v Sheep, and back again! A distance of 22 miles. It was iirc about 1992 or thereabouts, was a Saturday, and we scudded them 2-0.
It was I think about April time, a crisp, sunny day, with some snow showers up where I stayed. My car was sitting outside, and thought, as you do, sod it, I am walking it!
It took me 2.30 hours to get to Ibrox and 2.45 hours to go back. I was in my mid thirties then and fit as a fiddle. I am thinking next spring of doing it again, just there, then as I am a member of the Bus Pass Loyal, bus it home. Maybe do it for MND and another charity. BTW I stayed for 90 minutes! Anyone else been that crazy! Surely, it is FF!:D:D

Did the same journey (from EK to Ibrox) for a Ne’erday match via Partick Thistle in the early 80’s as no public transport available. Can’t remember how long it took though.

Central station to Parkhead probably. Nothing impressive.

PS I can be a bit of an anorak, apologies. The only 2-0 win over the sheep at home in the early 90s on a Saturday I can think of were in 1990 when Mark Walters scored a cracker, or the last day title decider in 1991. Can think of a couple more 2-0s in the next 2 or 3 years but they were midweek. I'm sure you would have said if it was that amazing last day title party. You think it might be this one?

I left the city of Manchester stadium immediately after the UEFA Cup Final and they had cancelled all buses and transport. Took me 5 hours to try and get back to the bus park. At the end I was desperate and stuck in a cricket ground just across from the bus park and my bus was leaving. I was calling Whisky and another guy from FF whose name escapes me now (Malky?) but he was so drunk he couldn't talk, only whistle. I had to run like hell to catch the half-empty bus leaving the bus park, ate some chicken legs I had bought at a service station and spewed into a carrier bag fro the rest of the journey. When I got back to Cambuslang my wife was getting up for work and said "it's good to see you back sober".

i have walked from carluke to tynecastle and also carluke to rugby park. Boh for charity, both with a good friend Gordon Gibson. Made the local papers.

Last edited:
Earnock in Hamilton to Fir Park and back when I was 14/15 years old.

No idea of the result just remember I was knackered.

WATP

Myself and my mate walked back home a few times - about 12 miles. The funniest thing that happened was one night as we were walking through Shawlands past some high flats and we heard this smash and when we looked up we saw something heading downwards. Seems some couple had a disagreement and dinner and plate got thrown though a window - it landed in the middle of the road. When we investigated further the knife and fork were there as well.

Back