Fashion Sakala in advanced Rangers signing talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t particularly agree that the Belgian league is miles better than ours, but we can’t afford to sign the best players from teams better than us.

Every team takes the better players from weaker sides, it’s how the football industry works and goes on at every level.

We would beat every team that we got our starting 11 from, barring Kent obviously so it makes sense signing these guys then developing them.

That coach was talking about his time with him which was a couple of years ago, the main thing that stood out for me was that he said Sakala is good at pressing.

That’s key for us because our press is rather lopsided due to Hagi’s lack of pace, particularly in Europe this would be beneficial.

If he comes and it doesn’t work out then we flip him for some cash, it’s a win/win.

I think if he does sign then he’ll do very well.
The Scottish League is absolutely shite,

Grezda was a woeful buy.
Lafferty on paper for the fee made sense but didn't work out, would hardly say it was a shocker.
Flanagan put in a fair solid shifts his first season at LB and helped us get to the group stages.
Edmundson has looked pretty shakey I'll agree.
JJ, Stewart, Hastie and Barker all cost next to nothing and were punts purely on their form in the league, not too dissimilar to Wright. Wright has clearly stepped up a level while they didn't. Hardly shocking signings.
Worrall was 50/50, had some howlers but was our best player the 2nd half of that season.
Ejaria is and was a great player, can hardly blame Gerrard for him being unsettled.
Can't really argue with Ojo, Coulibaly and Zungu. King was never going to be getting regular gametime.

For a young manager overhauling a team, his transfer record is hardly shite, especially when most of the failed signings have cost almost nothing. I'd say the majority of his signings have actually been a success which is a great record.
Lafferty didn’t make sense at all, majority knew he would be a waste of money and get paid up. He was a clown first time around, always going to be a clown the second time.

We will get rid of JJ and probably Barker but we’ll struggle to shift Hastie on these wages.

Worrall being our best player in 2nd half is some revisionary shite if ever I heard it. The guy didn’t see the first 11 as soon as he hit the reported 25 game mark in his loan agreement.

Ejaria was woeful for us, didn’t have the stomach for it. Agree he’s doing well now but we’re judging his time at Rangers.

Again, not once did I say his record was shite. Simply replied to a comment saying it was largely remarkable. Brentford, Leipzig business has been remarkable, we’re a good bit off that just yet. Few more Kamara, Morelos, Barisic finds we will get closer to it. We have assets now, something we haven’t had for a number of years.

SG is a young manager who was always going to make mistakes, he’s allowed to. No one gets it perfect, wasn’t a dig at the manager.

Lafferty didn’t make sense at all, majority knew he would be a waste of money and get paid up. He was a clown first time around, always going to be a clown the second time.

We will get rid of JJ and probably Barker but we’ll struggle to shift Hastie on these wages.

Worrall being our best player in 2nd half is some revisionary shite if ever I heard it. The guy didn’t see the first 11 as soon as he hit the reported 25 game mark in his loan agreement.

Ejaria was woeful for us, didn’t have the stomach for it. Agree he’s doing well now but we’re judging his time at Rangers.

Again, not once did I say his record was shite. Simply replied to a comment saying it was largely remarkable. Brentford, Leipzig business has been remarkable, we’re a good bit off that just yet. Few more Kamara, Morelos, Barisic finds we will get closer to it. We have assets now, something we haven’t had for a number of years.

SG is a young manager who was always going to make mistakes, he’s allowed to. No one gets it perfect, wasn’t a dig at the manager.
I agree with this. Gerrard has improved our signings year in year out. Each year he's learning that the quality needs raised and he's done it. When we were bringing in shite like Grezda, were now bringing in Hagi/Kent . When we brought in Worrall we're now signing Serie A internationals in Helander.

It's a process. The gaffer has learned from it and if you compare and contrast with the tims scouting and signings we're light years ahead of them.

24, improving by the season and has a number of positive attributes;

Pace, directness, can play along the front line - centrally or left and likes to cut in on his right foot. Creates space with his explosive pace and runs, runs for 90 minutes, prepared to track back, close down, make challenges. High vertical leap allows him to compete for aerial balls that seem unwinnable. Regularly sneaks in and surprises tall defenders. Excellent dribbler with plenty of tricks in the bag. Relishes opportunities to run at defenders. Fulfills pressing and defensive duties well. Capable of being a real asset as the first line of defence.

His weaknesses are areas of his game that can be worked on and developed and we’ve seen that our management team have done this with a number of players.

You can get all that from the various articles on the internet from Belgian and African blogs. He’s also been doing it in the Belgian league where we have played a few teams in recent seasons and will have scouted.

Type of player you see a club like FC Midtjylland make, impresses and we’ve got people making signing suggestions. Although Sakala has already been linked with bigger and better clubs.

Agree it was always going to take a few windows but the reply was in relation to the comment of SG signings have been largely remarkable within the transfer market.

Merely pointing out they haven’t been, not saying he’s been shite in the market far from it. Just a bit of perspective.
I think you have to accept the market those players came from carry a much less chance of success statistically.
Barring Grezda who was as strange a signing as I've ever seen in modern times for us-
The total cost for the fourteen or so other players you mentioned totals circa 1.5 million.

If it was always as easy as picking up the likes of Kamara for 50k every club would be doing so.Dont get me wrong I take your point in the amount of players that weren't a success but the reality is that was always going to happen for a good few windows given the mammoth overhaul of the squad required back then.

Probably the fact that he’s 24 and played less than 50 games in his professional career.
The 'profile' if you like reminds me of Zungu in a weird way in that I don't see the reward for the risk despite the next to no cost involved.ditto the other lad from Bournemouth who despite what some say,was struggling to get a game for Wycombe prior to getting injured.

24, improving by the season and has a number of positive attributes;

Pace, directness, can play along the front line - centrally or left and likes to cut in on his right foot. Creates space with his explosive pace and runs, runs for 90 minutes, prepared to track back, close down, make challenges. High vertical leap allows him to compete for aerial balls that seem unwinnable. Regularly sneaks in and surprises tall defenders. Excellent dribbler with plenty of tricks in the bag. Relishes opportunities to run at defenders. Fulfills pressing and defensive duties well. Capable of being a real asset as the first line of defence.

His weaknesses are areas of his game that can be worked on and developed and we’ve seen that our management team have done this with a number of players.

You can get all that from the various articles on the internet from Belgian and African blogs. He’s also been doing it in the Belgian league where we have played a few teams in recent seasons and will have scouted.

Type of player you see a club like FC Midtjylland make, impresses and we’ve got people making signing suggestions. Although Sakala has already been linked with bigger and better clubs.

A lot of posters still struggling to understand the model the club is working to. Our squad is chock full of players we take for free with a view to developing and selling on. Fees will be paid for players further up the curve we could improve further to try and sell on ultimately. This guy fits right into that profile. Not every signing works out for any club. How about putting faith in Ross Wilson and his contacts and in our coaching staff rather than mundane nonsense about a player you’ve never even seen play?

On the limited footage I've seen, seems to score some spectacular goals, something only really kent gives us. He also seems to track into the box ala arfield. On a free, this seems a decent move if true

Lafferty at the time kind of did make sense as we needed a striker and he had a good season at Hearts. It didn't work out for him as Alfie was playing really well and then Defoe came in in January but he only has himself to blame.

Worrall played 32 games for us so that 25 game stuff was just a rumour was it not? Guys like Hastie Barker and Jones were all free punts but it's fairly obvious who wanted those players really and he's been replaced by Ross Wilson. I also don't think Ejaria or Ojo were as bad as they were made out to be Ejaria wasn't settled but scored a massive goal that allowed us to rebuild the club. Ojo started well then lost his confidence and like Ejaria he's went on and had a good season in the championship.

He was far from a clown at Hearts though, was one of the top scorers in the league and was available for a small fee. There wasn't any other striker we could have got with his goal record at that price.

So what if we struggle to shift him, he cost us nothing, his wages are probably a few grand max. Given that his goal ratio when we signed him was better than every one of our players, he was worth the punt.

It isn't revisionary shite whatsoever, January to mid/late March he was solid for us while Goldson the rest of the defence was making regular mistakes.

Ejaria being woeful for us is revisionary shite. He wasn't a world beater by any means but he was far from woeful.

Remarkable that many are writing off this boy already. He could turn out to be a Grezda or he could be another Kent. It's a bosman signing of an International player who has, statistically, improved season upon season in a league better than the SPFL.

If his signing works, it allows the club to essentially bank the thick end of £10-15m from the sale of Hagi or Kent. If he doesn't work, he's loaned out and the process is repeated until we make the signing that does work.

It is our model.

Remarkable that many are writing off this boy already. He could turn out to be a Grezda or he could be another Kent. It's a bosman signing of an International player who has, statistically, improved season upon season in a league better than the SPFL.

If his signing works, it allows the club to essentially bank the thick end of £10-15m from the sale of Hagi or Kent. If he doesn't work, he's loaned out and the process is repeated until we make the signing that does work.

It is our model.

What are you doing on FF with a rational assessment!?

Lafferty at the time kind of did make sense as we needed a striker and he had a good season at Hearts. It didn't work out for him as Alfie was playing really well and then Defoe came in in January but he only has himself to blame.

Worrall played 32 games for us so that 25 game stuff was just a rumour was it not? Guys like Hastie Barker and Jones were all free punts but it's fairly obvious who wanted those players really and he's been replaced by Ross Wilson. I also don't think Ejaria or Ojo were as bad as they were made out to be Ejaria wasn't settled but scored a massive goal that allowed us to rebuild the club. Ojo started well then lost his confidence and like Ejaria he's went on and had a good season in the championship.
It was rumoured to be league games but no one will really know apart from the club.

No one gets signed without SG giving it the go ahead. Kamara is a Mark Allen signing using that logic, yet SG will get the credit and quite rightly so. Buck stops and ends with the manager good or bad.

It was rumoured to be league games but no one will really know apart from the club.

No one gets signed without SG giving it the go ahead. Kamara is a Mark Allen signing using that logic, yet SG will get the credit and quite rightly so. Buck stops and ends with the manager good or bad.
Worrall played pretty much every league game. He was only dropped after the player of the season awards where we was recorded pished in a taxi saying fck the celtic

It is our model.

Arguably Scott Wright will allow us to sell Kent. I don't think we are encouraging that scenario but it's just good forward planning with Leeds sniffing around.

Hagi could be replaced by Ryan Gauld on a free if we need the cash.

Seems a very grounded young man, good interview.
Two things
1. He's in for a culture shock if he's used to this "Every time we joke. Win, lose or draw. We joke. That’s what makes us feel more comfortable as players"
2. What is 'in-video training'?

I'll wait and see on this one. From what I've seen he looks like a player who would be more useful in Europe and Vs the filth. Less so against SPL fodder as he's not great on the ball or creative, and there's no space to run into, so pace alone is less effective.

But he'll be coming in with view to develop and it's a no brainer as he's obviously got a lot of potential and on a bosman, giving us a different option.

Last edited:

The Worrall 'must play' thing was another FF myth. The deal was that if he had failed to play 19 games by New Year then Forest had the option to recall him. He made his 17th appearance against the Dhims on 29 Dec that year, so presumably if they'd chosen to Forest could have recalled him. They obviously chose not to. Worrall went on to make a further 15 appearances between then and the end of the season.

I think you have to accept the market those players came from carry a much less chance of success statistically.
Barring Grezda who was as strange a signing as I've ever seen in modern times for us-
The total cost for the fourteen or so other players you mentioned totals circa 1.5 million.

If it was always as easy as picking up the likes of Kamara for 50k every club would be doing so.Dont get me wrong I take your point in the amount of players that weren't a success but the reality is that was always going to happen for a good few windows given the mammoth overhaul of the squad required back then.
Our business model is buying players from small clubs improving them being successful then moving them on to clubs that can pay big wages and transfer fees. It's nowhere easy as it sounds like you said everyone would do it if it was we've only have a proper scouting set up for the last 3 years it takes time to build up a database. There will always be players who look good at small clubs that can't make the step up but we've went from the likes of Haliday holt and Cummings to Aribo Hagi and Kent I'd say we're doing pretty well so far under Gerrard

Seems a very grounded young man, good interview.
Two things
1. He's in for a culture shock if he's used to this "Every time we joke. Win, lose or draw. We joke. That’s what makes us feel more comfortable as players"
2. What is 'in-video training'?
I thought he came across pretty well.

1. Our squad will knock that out of him pretty quickly, Big Goldson in particular...

2. I took that to be video analysis. Ie watching his performances and analysing them.

Leeds can sniff my arse though I I still prefer men recommend that but I doubt Kent is going there or anywhere else.
giphy.gif

I do find it odd when posters slaughter potential signings but didn’t post anything what so ever football related during those weeks when we were winning the fking league.

It was in another thread that a poster was criticising the board over sponsorship or something.

Admin highlighted that in their post history they had been on every negative thread about the board, but hadn't actually posted anything when we'd won the league.

That's what you're up against on here.

I'm not saying every post should be happy clapping, and we are right to scrutinise every move, but some posters seem to thrive on negativity and misery.

I think our enemies in the media have played a blinder. They've dug up someone that coached him 3 years ago giving a disparaging account and everyone's turned on him before hes set foot in building. This guy could be the new Alfredo but hes in a position that unless he scores a hat trick in his first game the mob are ready to pounce. Compared to Ajetis signing where we were told hed turned down barca. SG and RW have rarely got it wrong to date

I think our enemies in the media have played a blinder. They've dug up someone that coached him 3 years ago giving a disparaging account and everyone's turned on him before hes set foot in building. This guy could be the new Alfredo but hes in a position that unless he scores a hat trick in his first game the mob are ready to pounce. Compared to Ajetis signing where we were told hed turned down barca. SG and RW have rarely got it wrong to date
Spot on.

Alot can happen to a players progression in 3 years. Look at Borna with us. Quite excited to see how this lad gets on!

Lafferty scored a massive goal in Europe did he not in that brief spell that probably covered both his transfer fee and wages.

It's a tough job getting a striker coming in with a pedigree who is willing to play no.2 to the best striker in the league (morelos).

It was a decent bit of business for the time. No regrets in that regard.

Ejaria scored a peach in Ufa and Ojo vs. Feyenoord: low-level, low-risk loans that paid their way and contributed. These types of deals were always going to happen in the beginning of a squad overhaul. I'm not sure they count as mistakes.

Grezda was an awful signing. Hastie pointless. Lafferty a lazy error.

Ejaria scored a peach in Ufa and Ojo vs. Feyenoord: low-level, low-risk loans that paid their way and contributed. These types of deals were always going to happen in the beginning of a squad overhaul. I'm not sure they count as mistakes.

Hastie pointless is a bit harsh. He was a home-grown bosman signing, 19 year old, in a position we were needing to fill and had scored like 7 goals in 16 games in his first half-season. Absolutely worth the punt IMO.

Hastie wasn't pointless.

Free(ish), young Scot who was free scoring in a poor Motherwell team.

As low risk as it comes.

The squad has improved year on year, so whatever people's opinions on how some signings worked out, the model is moving us forward.

Ross Wilson is maybe looking for slightly different attributes to Mark Allen so I'm interested to see how this summers recruitment goes.

This guy sounds like the sort of player we should be having a low risk punt on, especially as many seem to think Morelos will be away (again) and JD is increasingly on the fringes of the team.

Hope the guy comes in and does the business no reason why he can’t if he doesn’t, so what low risk big reward signing. Having not watched a minute of YouTube videos or know anything about him I think he will be a sensation replace Morelos in the team and score 30 goals next season :)) :))

Hastie wasn't pointless.

Free(ish), young Scot who was free scoring in a poor Motherwell team.

As low risk as it comes.
Hastie was a low risk gamble as was Scott Wright. Doesn't seem like Hastie had what it takes to handle the pressure of playing for the best team in Scotland, Scott Wright does.
We have to continue taking these gambles though. For every Jake Hastie or Jordan Jones there will be a Glen Kamara or Scott Wright.

I'm not gonna lie, never saw him play some Football.
If he signs I hope he'll come good, I believe in Gerrard and Wilson.

I wish we could do some Wright type signings, Scottish lads hungry for Football and want to play for the badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back