Fat Japanese on Europa League expanding

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Europa League changes will help Scottish game, says Peter Lawwell
Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has predicted changes to the Europa League which will help Scottish football as a
Lawwell sits on the 16-man executive board of the European Club Association, which drives much of the change in European football along with UEFA.

The Champions League format is due to change from next season, with four clubs from the top four nations automatically qualifying for the group stages, although Celtic's way in through the champions' route remains open, if narrowed.

The subsequent three-year cycle begins in 2021 and Lawwell believes Scottish clubs will benefit from a tweaking of the Europa League format.

"European football will change, that's for sure," said Lawwell at Celtic's annual general meeting.

"You may find the Champions League doesn't change significantly over the next two cycles, which is good news for us because the champions' route will be maintained. It's going to be slightly more difficult, but it's still there, which is very, very positive.

"What might be changing is the Europa League. I think they are looking in the shorter term, ways of expanding the Europa League, and that would be great for Scottish football as well as Celtic.

"We know we are limited here in Scotland financially and the way forward for Celtic and Scottish clubs is to perform more in Europe and have more of our games played in Europe.

"So if we can get more Scottish clubs in European competition then that would be great because the finance that brings in is new and that should hopefully help the competitive balance here in Scotland."

As well as sitting on the ECA board, Lawwell believes continued Champions League involvement keeps Celtic on the radar of top European clubs.

He added: "It's vital we are there, it's vital for Celtic and Scotland. There will be change, but the positive thing is we have a voice. We are at senior level and hopefully that will stand us in good stead for any change."

With Celtic fresh from an unbeaten domestic treble, the AGM was a largely positive affair, with the board backing a resolution from the floor to improve facilities for disabled supporters.

The board also informed shareholders they were still awaiting the outcome of the Scottish Football Association compliance officer's investigation into the circumstances surrounding Rangers' application for a European licence in 2011, with no timescale available.

And Lawwell dismissed calls from one shareholder to stop using Park's of Hamilton to transport teams. The coach-hire company is the family firm of Rangers directors Douglas and Graeme Park, the former of which has recently loaned money to the Govan club.

Lawwell was asked: "Why are you continuing to subsidise that club across the water?"

"We have talked about that but I think as a club like Celtic we have to be above all that," he said. "It's very difficult to find an alternative. We could buy our own bus, but we would need two in case one breaks down.

"I don't think we are subsidising Rangers, I think that's I think that's a stretch. I think we're bigger and better and above all that.

The Champions League format is due to change from next season, with four clubs from the top four nations automatically qualifying for the group stages

What utter bollocks that is .

The champions of Scotland , Iceland , Norway etc have less right to be in the group stages than a 4th placed team from Germany , England , France ?

Pish

The Champions League format is due to change from next season, with four clubs from the top four nations automatically qualifying for the group stages

The champions of Scotland , Iceland , Norway etc have less right to be in the group stages than a 4th placed team from Germany , England , France ?

Pish
It is but if the Europa gets expanded then there is a chance we might go straight in at some point, doubt it though

Pish

Agreed

Uefa have killed the game in many countries due to that decision. To think uefa are supposed to exist to protect the game and represent all member nations. Total joke.

It is but if the Europa gets expanded then there is a chance we might go straight in at some point, doubt it though

The champions league is already heading for a closed shop competition , or at least having the token diddy team making up the numbers .

It's utter gash and immoral . The champions of lots of European nations have to jump through hoops to get to the group stages simply because the tv pot from their small nation isnt much , while Perennial runners up like arsenal and Liverpool waltz in , adding £30 - £40 million euro tv cash to the £100 million they get from their domestic competition .

Not for me . (Unless rangers are there , of course )

So they have already won the league according to this ?

"The Champions League format is due to change from next season, with four clubs from the top four nations automatically qualifying for the group stages, although Celtic's way in through the champions' route remains open, if narrowed".

We have talked about that but I think as a club like Celtic we have to be above all that," he said. "It's very difficult to find an alternative. We could buy our own bus, but we would need two in case one breaks down.

What's he saying here? They can't afford a bus....because they would need to buy another bus....or is he saying McGill's are not quality?

Pish

Its business first and sport second.

"The Champions League format is due to change from next season, with four clubs from the top four nations automatically qualifying for the group stages, although Celtic's way in through the champions' route remains open, if narrowed".
Extremely presumptious from Honest Pete, unless he knows something we don't

There has to be something wrong when Northern Irish teams have the same amount of teams in europe as scottish teams.

The only advantage scottish teams have is the scottish cup winners enter the europa in qualifying round 2. Everything else is the same. 1 in champs league Q1 and 2 in Europa Q1

There has to be something wrong when Northern Irish teams have the same amount of teams in europe as scottish teams.

The only advantage scottish teams have is the scottish cup winners enter the europa in qualifying round 2. Everything else is the same. 1 in champs league Q1 and 2 in Europa Q1

Is this not because Scotland have steadily slid down the rankings?

2 teams in the CL not so long ago but that was before Scottish football decided sticking the knife in Rangers was all that mattered.

If by some miracle we win the league this or next year that article is one of the first I'm going to use to ram it right up their arse. Arrogant shite.

Why? Surely all countries should be equal and give everybody a fair crack of the whip?

Well Liewell already thinks so when he said this....

"You may find the Champions League doesn't change significantly over the next two cycles, which is good news for us because the champions' route will be maintained. It's going to be slightly more difficult, but it's still there, which is very, very positive.

..... and not just this season either.

I assume by 'us' he wasn't meaning all of the clubs in Scotland.

'Competitive balance in Scotland'

Brass Neck CFC

Title stripping and accept Div1 or face oblivion

Never Forgotten

* Aided and abetted by the governing body and defender of the game, the SFA, Chief Exec put in place by Peter Lawell

They do not care about the competitive balance. If they did, they would not have manipulated fixtures to meet their ends, would not have cause the referees strike and would not have abused PoD's death to steal a title.

They are scum, plain and simple and all they care about is having the deck stacked in their favour as much as possible.

Is this not because Scotland have steadily slid down the rankings?

2 teams in the CL not so long ago but that was before Scottish football decided sticking the knife in Rangers was all that mattered.
Precisely. They cannot expect to lose at every turn and have the playing field levelled off the park but then again, they are only looking to their masters Scumtc and how they enjoy this benefit.

"although Celtic's way in through the champions' route remains open"

So not the Scottish champions, just Celtic.

Timmy logic........ "We don't care about yeez, yeez ir deid".

Timmy then proceeds to sell out their allocation home and away against the World's most successful club.
They hound radio shows and newspaper columns to talk about us.
Their own AGM is littered with questions about their rival club.
They still seek to strip us of our past glories and rubbish anyone qualified enough to speak on the subject who dares to side with us over them.
All their songs and banners are about Rangers Football Club.
They even try and take over a Political Party whose aim is to outlaw the very essence and traditions of our club and supports.

What timmy says and does are 2 completely different things. If you want us believe you don't care about us, start f*cking acting like it.

You may find the Champions League doesn't change significantly over the next two cycles, which is good news for us because the champions' route will be maintained. It's going to be slightly more difficult, but it's still there, which is very, very positive.

Good news for us meaning Celtic not Scottish football .

I think we're bigger and better and above all that.

That's the worst statement he's ever made.
Corrupt, cheating , disrespectful, spiteful, jealous, hate filled organisation.
Above nothing and no more than sewer rats.

Agreed

Uefa have killed the game in many countries due to that decision. To think uefa are supposed to exist to protect the game and represent all member nations. Total joke.

It's all about viewing figures. Still reckon some small country may be nuked to let Italy into the world cup:)

Just what I came in to post!!

"although Celtic's way in through the champions' route remains open"

So not the Scottish champions, just Celtic.

My thoughts exactly, the bheasts are only 3 ahead of the sheep and 6 ahead of us. My heart says we can win the title but my sensible head says it's a step too far this season. Yet, they think that they have some sort of divine right that they will win the title and qualify for the CL again. Ohh how I can't wait for their reaction when we win our next major title again.

Well Liewell already thinks so when he said this....

..... and not just this season either.

I assume by 'us' he wasn't meaning all of the clubs in Scotland.
It is an arrogance based on confidence.
I hope we destroy their smugness soon.

Am I right to worry about their friendly Compliance Officer investigation into events in 2011? Or is it just one to sit in his in tray until forgotten about?

My thoughts exactly, the bheasts are only 3 ahead of the sheep and 6 ahead of us. My heart says we can win the title but my sensible head says it's a step too far this season. Yet, they think that they have some sort of divine right that they will win the title and qualify for the CL again. Ohh how I can't wait for their reaction when we win our next major title again.
Two huge games against the sheep coming up. If we can come out of them with 6 points then the league table will look very different and something special just might be on.

I cannot stand the fat Japanese, but when you think of the influence he exerts in Scotland with the media and SFA and now is involved at a European level...........It just highlights how ineffective our CEO is.

It's all about viewing figures. Still reckon some small country may be nuked to let Italy into the world cup:)

Haha just waiting for it!

They have screwed it though, genuinely feel sorry for former big teams in Europe like us, red star, steaua, Anderlecht and the like being totally outspent by makeweights from bigger leads. European football would be much more exciting with higher number of stronger teams, rather than a rush to create 10 super clubs no one can live with

Two huge games against the sheep coming up. If we can come out of them with 6 points then the league table will look very different and something special just might be on.

Fingers crossed. 6 out of 6 from the next 2 games and we’ll be right up for it.

'Club across the water'

The Clyde? The river? The Irish Sea?

If you made these parasites up they'd surely have some redeeming feature

Back