Favourite ever friendly / pre-season tournament

I remember going to a friendly at Ibrox as a boy. Rangers v China or a Chinese select team. Can anybody remember it? Tbh it was the biggest away crowd I’d seen at Ibrox!! We were surrounded in the east enclosure. I remember my da saying it’s a fish supper on the way home son as the chinkys are all shut the night!

Enjoyed the weekend in Newcastle for that tournament, cant mind if it was a FF or blue order night in that brewery on the Saturday night
We got cheap digs / great deal on the student flats in Newcastle uni which was very close to city

Had great time, brilliant few days in London for the game v Fulham.

Newcastle away was superb
Almost got me divorced. Was driving home from a family holiday in Great Yarmouth with the wife and children who were quite young then. I drove on the A1 .past Scotch Corner. She stated you’ve taken the wrong road. Not me I’m going to watch the Rangers. I will see you on Sunday night. Not a happy wife. ;)

Newcastle pre season 2004, the train down was carnage and it went from there. Brilliant weekend and a great party with the Geordies.

The Chelsea game. Brilliant day, Ibrox rocking. The blues brothers really should do it again someday.

This two seasons in a row. We beat Man United 1-0 with McCoist scoring, Cantona sent off.
Laudrup and Gazza making debuts each year in this event.

Without a doubt the best pres season Friendly by a mile was Chelsea at Ibrox when we beat them 2-0, it was like a champions league atmosphere. The Chelsea fans and players where stunned after the game. Even Sebo scored.

:))

Blackpool Away ended up being a 5 day bender

Derby away was excellent

Blackpool edges it because the blonde I pumped looked like Melinda Messenger

Rangers/Steau/Sampdoria

We’re Man United the 4th team that year?

If that was the year that Sampdoria had just signed Karembeau and Seedorf? Both were youngsters but you could see the class, even in what was ultimately a friendly tournament

Tournament in Newcastle.flew over on the Friday morning and by Friday night train loads of bears were arriving.the locals were really friendly in the pubs advising us where the best places to go were.the game on the Sunday against feyanord was very quiet as everyone was hungover to feck from the Saturday when we played Newcastle.we were in a cracking pub on the Sunday night the dj at the end of the night said “surely there are no rangers fans here now” put on simply the best and the pub exploded as about half the people still in it were bears.think it was called jumping jacks had dancing girls in it who were also bar staff

Newcastle was wild. 3days too much to be fair. The derby game I was on the park playing pens with the ram before the game

Gary Bennett Testimonial v Sunderland or Stuart McCall Testimonial v Bradford

A rerun of either trip today would probably end me.

Emirates was great as was Newcastle both cracking weekends and the Saturday night in Gateshead at the brewery was superb.

Aye Newcastle was a great weekend. Wasn’t the night out arranged by FF? Seem to remember the guy (can’t remember his name) that was involved in writing/releasing ‘We’re Coming’ was on that night.

Any of our friendlies in England are really good. Blackpool, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham were all superb.

Pal of mine is a massive Norwich fan. Was down there for a Kasabian gig last year and him and his mates were all saying they’d love us down for a friendly.

The Newcastle tournament was a cracking weekend.
Watched the Sebo Chelsea game in Ibiza, the atmosphere looked incredible at Ibrox. All you could hear that night in San Antonio were shouts of, "Sebo, Sebo!" :)

I remember going to a friendly at Ibrox as a boy. Rangers v China or a Chinese select team. Can anybody remember it? Tbh it was the biggest away crowd I’d seen at Ibrox!! We were surrounded in the east enclosure. I remember my da saying it’s a fish supper on the way home son as the chinkys are all shut the night!
I remember that one. About 10,000 at it!

Best ever was Spurs away in 1986. Could fill a book about that 30 hours from leaving Glasgow on the Clarkston bus to getting back.

Emirates cup was a good experience for me.
But Chelsea friendly at Ibrox was electric

my first away tournament was in lille about 1978 when we played against St Etienne and Lokeren
but nuremburg away was special when we were sitting nursing a curer in a hotel when the team came in for lunch . they had a fanzone complete with radio station in the ground and we didnt leave until well after 8pm another hangover pending ..

Must be against Man u at old Trafford about lots of years ago ,we really took over Manchester could tell you stories about it but better not.

Must be against Man u at old Trafford about lots of years ago ,we really took over Manchester could tell you stories about it but better not.
Was about to post the same “bigblue” .
That afternoon in Manchester in March 1974, was one of the GREAT days out. Next best for me was at Villa Park in 1976.
Ahh . . . nostalgia is a wonderful emotion.
Seventies old “Derry” Loyal.

I was at that. Never been so packed into a terrace. Managed to get up into the seats in the Park Lane stand. Mental day.
I remember folk getting pulled up to the seating to ease the congestion. Great atmosphere and even Cammy Fraser scored (though I don’t think he was to feature much for Souness in the season to come).

Been to a few but Sheffield was great... sun was out, every service station decked out on the way down & the Fabio cardoso song just catching on.

Barry bannan getting absolute dogs abuse whilst warming up.. our team looked really really good, had high hopes for the season after the performance..

Rangers were also like 3/1 or something bonkers to win.. needless to say they were heavily backed by me and my mates that day! :)

A thread like this always allows me to role out my favorite quote in regards to preseason friendlies. This particular quote being attributed to the late Gerhard Neef who stated, as he watched the Rangers playing a preseason friendly in Germany, "how good it was to see HIS team playing in his country".

Back