Favourite old firm goal in a match you attended

JW1988

Official Ticketer
What’s your favourite and why?

Not a great goal by any means, but it signalled that we are on our way back and to be taken seriously.
I can’t remember too many moments of pure joy such as that goal. It was a release in many ways, a pity we didn’t go on to win the league obviously but it got the monkey off our back and has led to some great performances and results against them.

Edu in the last min and lovenkrands same in final. All goal against them are good. Some peach off a goals over the years. They two for me just because off the time.

Jacko, first time I’d seen us beat them in the flesh. Felt sick and my chest was so sore at the game, the relief and outpouring of emotion after it makes it one of my best days following the gers.

It would be easy to pick Cooper's Dryborough Cup Final goal but my favourite would generally have been Alex MacDonald in the 75 LCF.

That was until Peter Lovenkrands last minute winner - nothing to do with the quality but the first time I had been at an Old Firm SCF victory with my two sons. What a final and what a way to win it and to share that joy with my two boys means that that particular goal will always be the one.

I’m stuck between two.

New Year game in 90/91 and it’s the second goal that sticks in my mind.
Mark Walters had scored direct from a corner already and it was a cracking goal but the second cane late on and Sandy Robertson keeps on their defenders heels and robs Peter Grant before squaring the ball to Hateley to score into the Copland goal and it was the start of Hateley really establishing himself at Rangers after a difficult start.

The other is Durrant’s goal in early 92/93 season. It was pissing down with rain and Hateley laid the ball off for Durrant, who absolutely thundered the ball into the roof of the net.
I think this was a week after scoring against Aberdeen at the same end and after all the injury trouble, seeing Durrant scoring against Celtic and doing the open armed celebration running towards the Main Stand/Enclosure afterwards still gives me the shivers.

Big Marg floating in a beautifully crafted long ball in to the box for big Dado to meet it perfectly as it bounced off his bandaged noggin in to the net.

Then the finger wag celebration full of defiance.

Mendes at parkhead.could have been 6 or 7 we destroyed them that day.

Edu last minute

Last edited:
Big Marg floating in a beautifully crafted long ball in to the box for big Dado to meet it perfectly as it bounced off his bandaged noggin in to the net.

Then the finger wag celebration full of defiance.
Best bit about that is the commentator going “ and here’s Marvin Andrews, Rangers won’t want him on the ball here” or words to that affect.

The Gazza header goal at Ibrox, I was a wee boy watching through my fingers as Celtic hit the bar or post (can’t remember), my season ticket was right next to them at that time. They jumped up ready to celebrate, and Rangers broke away and scored. An absolute beautiful moment from my childhood and one I won’t forget.

For me Clint Hills at the piggery was superb. Many people had written us off and i remember guys in the pub (aberdeenshire) asking the night before if i was going and when i said i was they laughed and said fairplay for going all that way for a humping! We played brilliant that day with the shite we had and managed to salvage a point.. even when the chips are down the cry is still no surrender!

John Greig in 1978 at Ibrox... They had a complete meltdown that day.

Talking of meltdowns, if I was allowed a second choice it would be Mo Johnston’s last minute winner at Ibrox 1989...To this day I don’t think they’ve ever gotten over that.

I was at the game when Edu scored but I'd go for my 1st game at their place in 2010 which we won 3-1.

Kenny Miller scored twice & smacked in a fantastic volley from the edge of the area.

I remember leaping about 15 feet in the air as it hit the back of the net.

Back