FC Midtjylland: Danish Champions

Hal B. Goode

Well, let it not be said that FCM aren't a proper side now. They've now split the last six Superliga titles with the erstwhile dominant FC København.

Their Sporting Director said last night after they beat FCK 3-1 that they are in line for a DKK.100mio (£12.1m) windfall if Brentford make the Premier League this season, which could only further serve to cement their new-found dominance in Denmark.

A really well-run club from whom I believe we got some ideas re: their hospitality when we visited last year and a decent achievement in beating them convincingly on our Europa League run this season.

It really does put our performances in europe in to some sort of perspective. We have played and beat some proper teams.
It sort of adds to the frustration of some of our league performances when we know how we can play!

Very very good outfit, one I think we may underrate. The home game at Ibrox was so strange because I knew there was no way we were going out. Felt less cagey and you could enjoy it more.

Evander is apparently available on a reduce fee 8 million euros (£7.1 million) probably still too much for us but I'd love him here

Last edited:
Let’s not forget that they dominated the team that pumped the scum out of Europe!

Although that doesn’t fit the ‘they’re miles ahead’ or have a ‘winning mentality’ pish that spouted daily on FF

I don't think they're miles ahead of us but there is no doubt they have a much better winning mentality than us. We seemed to thrive in Europe when there wasn't as much pressure.

I honestly expected them to give us a much harder time of it than they did. Certainly didn't expect to see us out 7 past them over the two legs.
Agree. I really wanted to avoid them as they are a good side and they start their season in Denmark earlier than they do here so figured they'd be further along than us fitness wise. Besides a 5 minute period over there it was remarkable how easily we dealt with them and it felt like every attack could have finished with a goal. You heard the odd thing said about how "easy" our run was in Europe the previous season, nobody could say that this season and not be laughed at.

Let’s not forget that they dominated the team that pumped the scum out of Europe!

Although that doesn’t fit the ‘they’re miles ahead’ or have a ‘winning mentality’ pish that spouted daily on FF

Unfortunately the giant points gap between us and them doesn’t fit the rhetoric that they’re just a wee bit ahead of us, and the treble treble does sort of fit with the idea that they have a winning mentality.

Celtic beat a Lazio side that have lost 8 of their last 10 Europa League games (including to Cluj and Rennes in the same group) and dined out on it, whilst getting tossed out of the Champions League and then the Europa League by poorer teams than the ones we beat with relative ease.

We're now the best side in Scotland in Europe - that's beyond dispute. We just need that to translate domestically too.

Yeah that doesn't them a "very very good outfit"
I think you are underplaying our result in all honesty, every team we played from that round onwards are a very good team. You don’t generally get easy games at that level.

They treated our club and fans very well, definitely a well run club and a team who's results I look out for

They were really good, we just played exceptional in both legs one of our finest European rounds in recent memory.

Seems like they bring in a few African Youths and South Americans, Kobenhavn and Nordsjaell do the same.

Loved the piper welcome and the bar staff in the Gers tops. Was a nice touch. Such a different atmosphere when there's not police pushing you around and a general disdain for your very being there.

@immortal7 nearly got lifted for driving 200Km/h on the drive back to Copenhagen, though. Lucky he passed the breathaliser.

It just goes to show the difference when not having Scottish referees in charge of our games.

You say that, but the European refs were shite as well. I watched our European highlights back to back the other night and Morelos alone was denied 4 stonewall penalties in 6 group games.

Its proof that when teams play football we play even better football too.

In europe it wasnt 11 men behind the ball which was a nice change.

You say that, but the European refs were shite as well. I watched our European highlights back to back the other night and Morelos alone was denied 4 stonewall penalties in 6 group games.
Feyenoord and YB away are the two that spring to mind, ridiculous.

Evander is apparently available on a reduce fee 8 million euros (£7.1 million) probably still too much for us but I'd love him here

If we got 15-20m for Alfie we should snap him up for that. He would thrive up here only issue would be the refs. Cracking prospect

Exactly this.

It’s that second part that’s killing us here. We need to have a plan B for it this season. If that means having a big lump to throw it into and go direct then so be it. It doesn’t have to be like that every game or for full matches. But we have severely lacked a strategy for putting away teams who stick 11 behind the ball for years now. It’s compounded when we have a defensive lapse and give them a goal to protect.

Exactly this.

It’s that second part that’s killing us here. We need to have a plan B for it this season. If that means having a big lump to throw it into and go direct then so be it. It doesn’t have to be like that every game or for full matches. But we have severely lacked a strategy for putting away teams who stick 11 behind the ball for years now. It’s compounded when we have a defensive lapse and give them a goal to protect.

He has to have a plan B or he will be gone. Surely he knows this now.

Their defence was terrible, very open and we destroyed them but glad to see they beat the shame fc destroyers to the title.

If only all games could be played normally without 10 men behind the ball we would be much better off.

I actually still think that due to our performances after the winter break many fans fail to appreciate just how good our performances and results were in Europe this season. We were the underdogs in many of those games.

I actually still think that due to our performances after the winter break many fans fail to appreciate just how good our performances and results were in Europe this season. We were the underdogs in many of those games.
I think the past 2 seasons the early starts for us havent helped. Its a hell of a long season

I don’t think there’s any doubting this, there’s ample evidence to support it. We can be a right good team when sides have a go and look to attack us.

2 things that severely hamper us are teams sitting in, and the expectation in domestic games that aren’t against the scum, because our players seemingly can’t bear that weight of expectation.

I thought they were a techincally very good side actually, but completely unprepared by for the physical side of the game. Their 20 year old right wing back Cajuste stood out, definitely one to watch.

When teams play football against us we tend to cope well and put in good performances (with occasional dips). We struggle when teams don’t play football and sit in, after 60-70mins we really struggle and start to panic. We do this both as a team and a support, both need to learn to keep calm and keep going for 90mins - stay away from panic mode. That’s the difference in the teams, they tend to be able to get that goal late on or at least better at breaking down the stubborn teams.

Back