FC Midtjylland

We have played lots of top class teams in Europe and our results and performances are testament to the quality of our manager and squad.

They're a good attacking team, the fact that they scored 3 goals on us over the 2 games is proof to that it's just defensively and their keeper that are issues when they play better teams but i imagine the Danish league is similar to ours where there's two good teams and then the level falls off after that so that wont matter too much as if they were trying to qualify or Europe. Beating Kobehaven regardless is a brilliant result

Looking at the Europa League teams likely to qualify for the next round, there's not actually that many I think would beat us over two legs...

Man Utd
Arsenal
Sevilla

The rest aren't any better than Porto or Young Boys IMO.

I thought they were a very decent, strong attacking team when we played them - lucky for us they also had a touch of naivety about them, which says a lot for us as we seem pretty streetwise in Europe.

Looking at the Europa League teams likely to qualify for the next round, there's not actually that many I think would beat us over two legs...

Man Utd
Arsenal
Sevilla

I’d rather avoid Wolves as well mate there’s a lot of talented players in that squad and the manager isn’t too shabby either imo.
Seville look the team to beat once again in the competition though,unsurprisingly.
Their record over a substantial period of time is unbelievable.

Mate anybody that says our achievements in Europe were rubbish are talking shite.
It’s us that has brought pride back to Scotland in Europe.
Only the tims saying this because they cant handle the fact we have a great team, they do anything to try and convince themselves that we are p1sh somehow, its very strange behaviour

Hope we get Copenhagen in the last 32. That's quite possible and seems they are worse than a team we already beat 7-3

Man Utd
Arsenal
Sevilla

If we win the group then we'll avoid the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and Sevilla.

As it stands, the second placed teams (and worst 4 third places CL teams) are

APOEL (CYP)
Dinamo Kiev (UKR)
Getafe (ESP)
LASK (AUT)
Cluj (ROU)
Standard Liege (BEL)
Rangers (SCO)
Ludogorets (BUL)
Wolfsburg (GER)
Borussia MGB (GER)
Wolves (ENG)
AZ (NED)
Zenit (RUS)
Red Star (SRB)
Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS)
Brugge (BEL)

So if we qualify and win the group then there is a very good chance we'll get drawn against a beatable team.

Man Utd
Arsenal
Sevilla

Some decent teams will drop out the champ league.

Man Utd
Arsenal
Sevilla

Would you fear Man United over 2 legs?

They would obviously be favourites, but I wouldn't fear them. I think our style would suit in the match.

APOEL (CYP)
Dinamo Kiev (UKR)
Getafe (ESP)
LASK (AUT)
Cluj (ROU)
Standard Liege (BEL)
Rangers (SCO)
Ludogorets (BUL)
Wolfsburg (GER)
Borussia MGB (GER)
Wolves (ENG)
AZ (NED)
Zenit (RUS)
Red Star (SRB)
Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS)
Brugge (BEL)

So if we qualify and win the group then there is a very good chance we'll get drawn against a beatable team.

Getafe would be class. A wee trip to Madrid!

Flying in the Danish league.
They beat Copenhagen 4-1 at the weekend to move 7 points clear at the top, only 1 defeat in 16 league games.
I know its not a top league but they're clearly a decent side.

My father-in-law was ranting & raving about that result last night- threatening to chuck his season ticket:rolleyes: :D as Kobenhavn are now 7 points behind them with no chance of closing the gap.
But there's no denying it- they're a decent team having only lost 1 game this season.

They've always been a decent squad.

Our form in Europe has been excellent. I would fancy us to beat anyone at home, including the English sides.

Man Utd
Arsenal
Sevilla

None of them would beat us either. We’ll win the tournament :p

For me that game was the first real sign we were going to be a different animal this season. We went over there and many felt we would lose the tie. We smashed them fairly easily

Just look at the Rhebel Hotline thread, updated a few minutes ago. No one really takes notice of how well we're doing in Europe. One caller says:

"Rangers fans who are moaning about the player ratings of Celtic against Lazio are only jealous we are stealing headlines from them by beating teams from big-five leagues rather than little countries like them."

Here are the coefficients:

Rangers: 120
Celtic: 48

Midtjylland: 95
Legia Warsaw: 83

Porto: 17
Young Boys: 58
Feyenoord: 92
Average Group: 55.67

Lazio: 34
Rennes: 111
Cluj: 134
Average Group: 93

And remember Celtic LOST to Cluj, who are 134th in the coefficients. There's just no perspective being put on our results!

APOEL (CYP)
Dinamo Kiev (UKR)
Getafe (ESP)
LASK (AUT)
Cluj (ROU)
Standard Liege (BEL)
Rangers (SCO)
Ludogorets (BUL)
Wolfsburg (GER)
Borussia MGB (GER)
Wolves (ENG)
AZ (NED)
Zenit (RUS)
Red Star (SRB)
Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS)
Brugge (BEL)

Still some tough sides in there. Getafe, Wolfsburg, Gladbach, Zenit all to be avoided imo.

Plus that's if we finish 1st. If we are second it's a lot harder. Vital for me that we get 1st so we can make the Last 16.

But they did beat AIK who are below Aberdeen in the coefficients.
I know it may look as though I put a fair amount of work into my previous post but I didn't want to Google who they played in their earlier qualifier. Now that you've brought it up...

Nomme Kalju were 218th and Sarajevo 228th.

Incredible scalps for Scottish football :D

I'd be wary of citing coefficients when discussing how good a team is. You could justify saying that Celtic are vastly better than us going by simply looking at their coefficient compared to ours when clearly they aren't.

Would you fear Man United over 2 legs?

They would obviously be favourites, but I wouldn't fear them. I think our style would suit in the match.

Gerrard was born to win a match like this. Such long odds to draw them, but maybe later in the competition...;)

Gerrard was born to win a match like this. Such long odds to draw them, but maybe later in the competition...;)

Would love a challenge with them.

Getting to the group was the main part, anything achieved in the group and beyond is just a bonus. I'd love a tie with Man United even though it would be a tough draw.

Flying in the Danish league.
They beat Copenhagen 4-1 at the weekend to move 7 points clear at the top, only 1 defeat in 16 league games.
I know its not a top league but they're clearly a decent side.

I still maintain they’re the best side we’ve played bar Porto.
They have a bit of everything. Can play like stoke with the long throws and strong set pieces, but can knock it about as well.
We shell shocked them away. Was a terrific result imo

Legia Warsaw top of the Polish league now. Young Boys top of the Swiss league. Porto 2 points behind Benfica in Portugal. But apparently we've been playing shite teams.. :rolleyes:
Who says we've been playing shite teams? We've had a difficult passageway to Europe this year in comparison to last.

I would argue it was our own fault we never qualified from Europe last year with players like Middleton, Lafferty, Worrall, Flanagan, Ejaria starting most games! Last seasons group in comparison to this seasons group is significantly easier.

Wouldn't surprise me tbh, that wasn't a hint that we should buy him btw but I think for flair players South America has gems all over the place, Helsinki brought over Morelos for pennies.

Biggest issue we will always have are work permits.

Back