FC Porto next then, what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperGers07

3rd in their league
won 5-0 away in the cup at weekend.
Beaten by Feyenoord in the group last time out

Do we go there more in hope than expectation?
For me, a result against them will instill a belief in us all, and I include the players in that to kick on for the rest of the season.

a draw would be a great result

going by every away game in europe we have played (apart from Midgetland etc) we will set up the exact same way so I think we will struggle if we let them play.

Anything we pick up will be a bonus but I'd like us to put up a praiseworthy performance no matter the result.

A narrow defeat where we score a goal or two might even be important in the head-to-head scenarios in this very tight group.

Be delighted to take anything from it , they are a champions league quality team , Can’t see anything other than a home win.

There won't be many changes from yesterday, we don't have the quality to do so.

Still in the Europa League so it will be a strong team with the hope we can take some thing.

A draw would be a positive result, Porto are a good side.

Our defence will come under a hell of a lot of scrutiny. They'll only be able to hold out for so long.

2-0 or 3-0 Porto wouldn't be unrealistic..

I expect we'll lose narrowly.

I just hope it's not a blunder from one of our players. That would be another few days of massive inquests on here. I expect Helander will play then we'll read about how Katic would have done better.

Either way, I'm relaxed about it. For me, we needed at least that point in Switzerland to be realistic about getting out of this group. I think it could be like last year. Get to match day 6 and all 4 teams are in contention. I don't think we'll go through though and i'm not going to get hysterical about it either.

Sunday v Motherwell is far more important in the grand scheme of things.

3rd in their league doesn’t really tell the whole story.

They’re level on points with 2nd and 1 point behind first. 6 wins, 1 loss so far and have won their last 5 league matches (best form in the league).

A point would be excellent.

FF will be a laugh if we lose.

Be delighted with a draw but unfortunately can't see it, looking forward to the trip all the same.

I reckon we will sit back and it will be a night of heavy pressure with the vain hope we snatch something on the counter attack. I'm not very hopeful and I'm starting to think the league and the league cup should be our main focus and keeping players available and mostly important fit and fresh for the upcoming important games.

A draw in Porto for me would be an excellent result but it's going to be a long night that's for sure and we will chasing the ball for long spells I would imagine.

3rd in their league doesn’t really tell the whole story.

They’re level on points with 2nd and 1 point behind first. 6 wins, 1 loss so far and have won their last 5 league matches (best form in the league).

A point would be excellent.

FF will be a laugh if we lose.
It shouldn't be a laugh if we lose, games like this away to Porto are nothing more than a bonus game for me personally, we are expected to take nothing from the game so its a free hit, they have better players than us so if we get anything it will be big upset.

Probably the most difficult game that we'll have all season.

As ever in Europe, all we ask is that we put up a fight and if Porto are going to win then at least make them work for it. That didn't happen in Berne and is what we were so furious.

It shouldn't be a laugh if we lose, games like this away to Porto are nothing more than a bonus game for me personally, we are expected to take nothing from the game so its a free hit, they have better players than us so if we get anything it will be big upset.

That won’t stop to nutters on here.

5-0!

Sorry, thought this was the Hearts thread from last week. Narrow defeat most likely, but a point would be good for us.

I guess the result in the other game is just as important as well? If Feyenoord/Young Boys draw then even a loss isn't bad in terms of points.

They will be the best side we have faced under Gerrard.

We should all expect to lose really. Any result that avoided defeat for us would be immense.

That won’t stop to nutters on here.
I know mate, of course i want us to win but i dont have that same distraught feeling in the euro games as i do in the domestic games just now.

This will be a very hard game but usually thats when we play at our best so it wouldn't surprise me if Tav scored a penalty, we get a 1-1 draw and everyone is happy again.

Didn’t see us getting out of this group when it was drawn, and the way we threw away a lead in Berne strengthened that.
We can’t struggle at places like Livingston and Tynecastle then suddenly feel confident going to Porto. Although it might suit some of our more delicate players playing against a team who play football rather than rugby, as long as that nasty Pepe doesn’t get up to his usual stuff.

They’ve got a much better team than us, it’s incredibly pacey.

There’s a good chance that this will end up being our toughest game of the season.

I fully expect them to target Tav's area, they'd be stupid not to. Target that area, drag Goldson out and lookee there a big hole to exploit.

I think we’ll draw 1-1.

They’re no great shakes. Can’t see their attack troubling us too much.

The pressure is off and that’s when we perform our best. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even pulled off a 2-1 win.

Hardest game of the group.

A draw would be absolutely fantastic, but dont see us getting that if the same few undroppables play given their recent form

Depends how well we defend and whether Kent is fit enough to start. If we have a couple of counter attack threats playing and no defensive brain farts, I’d not rule out a narrow win for us. As it is I suspect we will lose by a couple.

Main focus should be Motherwell on Sunday. No point getting a result on Thursday and dropping points on Sunday.

Until the next international break we need to win every game in the league and make the final of the league cup. The 2 Porto games are a bonus.
Totally agree. Aside from the money aspect couldn’t care less about Europe now compared to a title or even trophy win.

Think we'll be subject of a narrow defeat, would take a draw just now.
I expect this place to be unbearable on Thursday evening if we lose

It's going to be a similar game to the Young Boys game but I expect them to be much better when they have the ball.

Our defence is going to have to be extremely disciplined, with no stupid individual errors because they will hurt us.

I actually think because they will come out at us it will suit us, just like it did against Young Boys for large spells of the game, however we need to be clinical when the chances come our way.

We absolutely need Ryan Jack for this one.

1-2 win for us.

Marega has been declared fit for them, a very powerful striker who could cause us big problems.

Any result would not surprise me but they are big favourites.

Think we'll be subject of a narrow defeat, would take a draw just now.
I expect this place to be unbearable on Thursday evening if we lose
I think most would expect a defeat. I hate defeat as much as the next bear but when you come up a better side and they beat you then you just have to accept it and move on. I think that will be the case on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back