FC Porto next then, what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going against popular opinion here I think we will win,not by many but we will win ,don't forget that we will be playing football against a team who will also play football no SFA type thuggery and when we are allowed to play football as it should be played we are just as good as any of the teams in our group WATP

The wind was taken out of our sails due to the second half debacle in Berne. I can't see us getting anything in this game and find myself wishing for damage limitation in terms of preserving our team for the upcoming domestic matches. As always I sincerely hope I am wrong.

I don’t expect us to get anything out of this game but nicking a point would be like a win.

3 points, a Tav masterclass of a performance and a lot of drunk happy bears all over Portugal (Myself included)

McGregor

Flanagan Goldson Helander Barisic

Tav Davis Aribo Kamara Kent

Morelos

2-2

I wouldn't expect to see Kent start yet and I don't think there is a chance in hell that Tav will be pushed forward to make room for Flanagan - is he even fully fit? - at right-back. It will be a choice of two from Stewart, Arfield or Ojo with Kent on the bench.

Sunday is more important. I'd not take any chances at all with Kent in the hope that he will be able to go an hour on Sunday.

This is a free hit and we should have nothing to fear.

Kent and Morelos counter attacking at pace may bring us some joy.

Very tough match and would love a point. We done the hard and important bit in qualifying so we can go and enjoy it which might work in our favour.

Totally agree. Aside from the money aspect couldn’t care less about Europe now compared to a title or even trophy win.

Qualifying for the group stage was bigger than winning the League Cup or Scottish Cup. The club benefited far more from that.

Just my opinion, but I don't expect us to take anything from this game at all.

I'll be pleasantly stunned if we pick up any points.

I’ll second this . Credit to Gerrard , I can’t recall us losing any game by more than the odd goal during his tenure , but I’ve a feeling unless we lift ourselves massively from Sunday , we could well be in line for a 3/0 loss on Thursday . Let’s hope I’m way out and we cause a wee upset .

I’ll second this . Credit to Gerrard , I can’t recall us losing any game by more than the odd goal during his tenure , but I’ve a feeling unless we lift ourselves massively from Sunday , we could well be in line for a 3/0 loss on Thursday . Let’s hope I’m way out and we cause a wee upset .
It certainly shouldn't be a shock to anyone if they put 2 or 3 past us.

You never know, but as Porto are the better team then it would be an almighty shock if we took anything from the game.

As long as we give a good account of ourselves that is probably all we can ask for. All things being equal Porto should win with comfort. As we sit here right now, that is the reality.

We beat Feyenoord and then Feyenoord beat Porto. Just thought I’d mention that.

How about we have a real go at winning the game and if it doesn’t work out we dust ourselves off and move on?

This meek mentality in Europe simply doesn’t work. You have to be bold if you want to achieve anything.

I wouldn't expect to see Kent start yet and I don't think there is a chance in hell that Tav will be pushed forward to make room for Flanagan - is he even fully fit? - at right-back. It will be a choice of two from Stewart, Arfield or Ojo with Kent on the bench.

Sunday is more important. I'd not take any chances at all with Kent in the hope that he will be able to go an hour on Sunday.
If all fit this would be my starting 11 except for Kamara as would have Ryan Jack instead.

Looking forward to the test but my mind is on Sunday, Ross County then the semi final

Would love a draw.

The next 3 after this are so vital, need to get back to winning run ASAP.

We are more suited to playing European sides. Tomorrow night will be no different. Anything could happen.

I'm actually more concerned about us coping against another bunch of hammer throwers at Ross County next Wednesday night than Thursday.

Hope Kent comes in instead of Ojo,we need more pace and trickery and I can see him getting caught in possession. Having Ryan Jack back will be a boost as well. Heart says Rangers to win,but I'd take a draw.

If Ojo and Arfield take up the other front 2 roles alongside Alfredo then we will lose. It's like starting the game with 9 men judging by recent form for the two of them.

Football Stewart on twitter does a patron on what to expect from our Euro games and all our domestic games and what not for £2 a month. Well worth it IMO

Home game went to pens if I remember right, we were dreadful that game but scraped through

Actually I remember (linked into other thread about Stephen Hughes) him missing a sitter in ET

Don't ask me about the away game :D.

We were in Madeira for 3 nights. Absolutely fantastic time plus the sunshine. I was absolutely blootered at the game so pointless asking me what the away game was like. Lol

We are up against it and big underdogs but under Gerrard in europe nothing is impossible.

For me the pressure is off in games like this, i can only get anxious about our domestic campagin

On our day when we are allowed to play football I think we can do anyone in that group. As a few other posters have said it's our domestic game that worrys me. The players look like they enjoy euro nights as they get to play expressive football compared to the dregs we play here at the weekend.

Depends on what Rangers team turn up. Think Gerrard will have the battle rage on after Sunday. May well surprise people by our display. 1-1.

Can never write Rangers off, ever. I think Gerrard had instilled a great deal of confidence in this squad that we'll playing an attacking game; we might lose, but I'm convinced the team are over there to give us a chance of getting something from the game. It will be a very hard game, possibly the best we will have played under Gerrard I shouldn't wonder.

Seems crazy to say it but I think we have bigger games coming up. The semi against hearts being one. I would take winning the league cup over qualifying from the group, this group of players need the taste of silverware, that winning feeling might just give us a massive edge.

Going to this game nott expecting anything, a learning experience and I'll be very happy if we happened to get a point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back